Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 4,850

KingMike

ogo79 wrote:

@KingMike
i definitely know the real name of the game, but cant find where you got it.

Okay, if you know the name then the site I got it from was rakuten.
Sorry I'm late in responding. PC got some malware, I hope it's gone now.
(new PS3 not wanting to login to PSN. Tried to log in on Media-Go on my PC to see if I could. No luck and my PC crashed. But I think AND REALLY hope that wasn't the source. )

KingMike

ThePirateCaptain

I decided to take a chance on two series I've been interested in, so I bought the first two Mega Man Battle Network games along with Advance Wars 1 and 2.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

RancidVomit86

@CapnPancakes You will not be disappointed with Advance Wars. They are awesome.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

StarBoy91

Well last week was good for me as far as retro gaming concerned. I got two import purchases (each game for a different system), and they both are very fun (if not flawed) games. First on the line was Jerry Boy for the Super Famicom
Untitled
Yeah, I'm fully aware that this game was released in America for the SNES under the nomenclature Smart Ball, but after having looked up that there were alterations in the transition (like the removal of the intro sequence and the town areas) I decided to go with the Japanese original. Sometimes I believe that it's best to experience a game as it was originally intended to be experienced as opposed to a version producers and/or executives assume is best for the Western audience (though that might just be the purist in me), so that's why I went with Jerry Boy. It's funny how many slime-based games there were in the early '90s (or there are now, really), like the Putty series of games and this one European-exclusive Super Morph. But I'm trailing off, so about Jerry Boy. After years of being curious about this game, all I've got to say is that it's pretty simple yet fun game, imo. It's not flawless, the controls do tend to be sticky and slippery at times (particularly when you dash) and for the most part it's easy but has its good set of challenges, even if it's a bit short; but otherwise I like this game, flaws aside. It's too bad that the sequel Jerry Boy 2 never got a released, because from one of the gameplay videos I've seen on YouTube it looks really good and it looks like an improvement over its predecessor (had it not been for the fact that it took three years to craft it, not to mention the fact that Sony-the publisher-would part ways with Nintendo to create their first PlayStation console in 1994, it probably would've come out, even if only as a Japan-exclusive). So, this 16-bit game was not great, but I do find it to be fun while it lasts. Pretty charming, too.

Okay, second game: Mogurānya for the Game Boy classic
Untitled
Again, I know that it was released outside Japan as Mole Mania; but unlike in the case of Jerry Boy where I wanted to experience it as it was meant to be experienced (in my book), that was not the case here. The reason I ordered the Japanese version as opposed to the American version of this game was because of the art on the cartridge. I found it to be rather appealing and cute (despite there being a white space in the background area). It probably would not have made a difference which version I would wind up with here, because all the same it's not that hard to follow even though there's lots of trial and error and requires extensive thinking and consideration to get through many of these screens (in particular the complex ones). I didn't finish the game as of yet, but from what I've played I find it to be tons of fun. I like the variety of the areas and how different each level would look, and the songs are pretty good (though I could do without the annoying constant beeping sound effect whenever you're low on health here). It's lighthearted and charming, it's sort of like The Legend of Zelda, if you replaced Link with Muddy Mole and traded the action/adventure aspect with an adventure/puzzle theme (at least, that's something I noticed while playing this game), only you have to beat it in one sitting. ... Still, really fun other than that, imo! Also, it looks really good on the Super Game Boy.

02/13/14 NOTE: Forget what I said about Mogurānya having to be beaten in one sitting. Turns out your progress can be saved: so long as you perform the Game & Watch Gallery method of saving by pausing the game and then turning it off. All I've got to say is: that's such a relief!

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Brutapode89

@WanderFan91 And why not Tom Boy? Joking!

AKA Jamba001, FRpokefan, Dracolosse89, Drattak89 & Scarhino89.
Friend Safari: Ground-type with Marowak, Palpitoad & Wooper.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5281-6768 | Nintendo Network ID: Jamba001

KingMike

The only thing I think SmartBall did better was to separate the shoot and dash/stick buttons (L/R and X/Y respectively, whereas X/Y does all of them in Jerry Boy.) A minor annoyance since it wastes ammo so you have to go back and farm some.
Right, you wouldn't even know the story in SmartBall unless you have the manual.
Equinox is another Sony-published SNES game that for some reason is missing ingame story in the English version even though the Japanese and English versions were developed simultaneously (to they point they even co-exist in the code but you can't choose which to play).

KingMike

Nintenjoe64

Not sure if it's old enough to be considered retro but I am finally getting round to buying "Sid Meier's Pirates!" on steam. The original was my favourite C64 game but the reviews put me off the remake for some reason. After sifting through all the reviews I found enough to convince me that the game was similar enough to the original for me to love it!

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

Peach64

Just got myself a copy of Mario Golf for the GBC. Fed up of waiting for it to get a European VC release. No doubt it will happen next week now.

Peach64

sharkyShark

Just won Final Fantasy III on ebay having just beat Final Fantasy II. While FF2 is awesome, I hear FF3 is like the RPG to beat all RPGs. Can't wait 'til it shows up.

Votes from the community — do you guys think FF3 is better than FF2?

Vote on & discuss your favorite NES & Super NES games at votable.com/video-games/snes

ogo79

just hit up undercover cops super famicom. woooo!

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

antipop621

Just picked up a copy of Wario: Master of Disguise. I'm not expecting much but it was quite cheap.

antipop621

ogo79

WaveBoy wrote:

Have you ever played that Sailor Moon Arcade beat em up titled Sailor Moon: Pretty Soldier? it even comes with a Sailor Jupiter poseable action doll with a mini plastic brush so you can stroke her hair until your little heart's content.

man i really want to play that game, its funny i was looking at it last night actually...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

CanisWolfred

sharkyShark wrote:

Just won Final Fantasy III on ebay having just beat Final Fantasy II. While FF2 is awesome, I hear FF3 is like the RPG to beat all RPGs. Can't wait 'til it shows up.

Votes from the community — do you guys think FF3 is better than FF2?

No.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RancidVomit86

@CanisWolfred Agreed.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

KingMike

ogo79 wrote:

just hit up undercover cops super famicom. woooo!

Sadly the market values that game much more highly than I do. I'd pay maybe $20-30 for its gameplay, but I know finding it at that price is an unrealistic expectation.
(I have seen bootleg sellers asking that, but buying a fake sounds worse to me than that other method. )

There is what seems to be a licensed emulator-based compilation for PC, but the quality does not seem that great. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with that unless I decide to pay big bucks.

KingMike

ogo79

@KingMike
when i tried to order gourmet, that site acted funny with my credit card. ill have to get it elsewhere...

the_shpydar wrote:

Tasuki

Just won an auction on shopgoodwill.com for a Gamecube and 4 controllers. According to the post everything works fine and two of the controllers are Wavebirds. Got it all for $21.00.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

KingMike

ogo79 wrote:

@KingMike
when i tried to order gourmet, that site acted funny with my credit card. ill have to get it elsewhere...

The only SFC games seller I think that ships internationally at the moment is one called auc-games (I think there's a button to choose your country to filter the others). For others it may require using a proxy buying service (which means adding some commission fees). Quite some time ago I used one to buy Crisis Force for the Famicom. $13 loose on yahoo turned into about $55 after all fees (which was effectively paying the ebay price), but I recall that may have been because I used EMS or whatever the fastest priciest shipping was. Probably could have been in the area of $30-35 otherwise.

KingMike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic