Retro Forum

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 2,321 to 2,340 of 3,499

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,321. Posted:

@ogo79
hahaha, i wish i haden't thrown away most of my board games growing up....And Don't Wake Daddy' was one of them. :p Along with TMNT, that repetitive boring Mario & Luigi ladder climbing game, LIFE, Quick sand, Burger Party, Grape Espape, Operation, Nightmare(Still have that hilarious Gate Keeper VHS tape.lol) ect ect, and even the later 13 dead end drive, Seige and Rock jocks which were a few of the last board games i ever picked up

And who could forget Monster Mash B-)

Anyways, just remember....Dont....Wake....DADDY!........From parker brothers. :p

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,322. Posted:

My brothers 27" Samsung CRT SDTV that he gave me just wasn't good enough so i decided to upgrade!

By CRT black level standards the sammy was suprisingly poor, completely lacked pop, it had a nasty red push and some sort of wierd integrated contrast dimming feature which basically ruins movies & videogames by constantly shifting from bright to dark(90% of the time...) which i'm guessing was a cheap trick to make up for it's sucktastic blacks by giving the picture pop....Yet I found a way to turn it off in the service menu, but whatever...the black levels were lousier than Michael Bay's casting choice for the new April 'O Neil! i just couldn't deal. It would be like a Michaelengelo without anchovi ice cream pizza. :*

Untitled
Stock interwebz photo of the exact same Sony Trinitron i picked up.

When it comes to CRT's, Sony is top class. Which is why i picked up this 27" Sony trinitron off of Craigs list for free! It also has component(Blue,green and red) inputs in the back which i want specificly for the wii otherwise i would of dove back vintage voyager style and picked up a late 80's,early 90's tube tv. ;) this particular trinitron aint that retro considering it came out in the late 90's/early 2000's, but i needed the component cable inputs so i had to make due. :p It still has a bit of a retro look to it unlike those ugly silver sony wega's(I previously owned a 32 incher) that were released in the mid 2000's. It's going to be ace for Nes, Snes, Wii, VHS, DVD and my galactic super duper future Atari 2600.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

KingMike

2,323. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

It's going to be ace for Nes, Snes, Wii, VHS, DVD and my galactic super duper future Atari 2600.

I don't know. I think it was the AVGN who said when you play a console as old as the 2600, you need a TV that's just as old to see it properly.
Unfortunately, I suspect finding a TV that old and still working might be difficult.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

2,324. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

It's going to be ace for Nes, Snes, Wii, VHS, DVD and my galactic super duper future Atari 2600.

I don't know. I think it was the AVGN who said when you play a console as old as the 2600, you need a TV that's just as old to see it properly.
Unfortunately, I suspect finding a TV that old and still working might be difficult.

Yep that was the AVGN that said that. Just watched that episode the other day in fact. Also learned that you can use a Sega Genesis controller on the 2600 lol.

Edited on by Tasuki

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

2,325. Posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,326. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

I used to game on one of those wood panel 80's CRT's with the rotating dials on the side, i usually shifted between that and a more modern CRT(Black & silver) at my aunts place during the late 80's and early 90's during the NES era. :p But i agree, it just wouldn't seem right playing the Atari on anything other than one of those wood panel tube tv's. I couldn't find any on craigs list, and like you said to find one in proper working condition would be a tough cookie. Once I'm done playing playing all of the wii games on my back loggery, i'll probably get a mid to late 80's Black/silver tube CRT to get a more authentic retro look & feel. They go for pennies anyways, because the general public are going gaga over those bright, thin & Drunk 'O Vision motion smearing LED sets. Meanwhile these CRT tv's are the king of motion handeling and completely anihilate(in regards to motion)every single LED on the market. :p

Here's a more Retro Sony CRT from the good ol' days! It's kind of simular to my Aunts actually!
Untitled

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

2,327. Posted:

@Waveboy Bro! That's the TV I had that crapped out on me and doesn't work anymore! :O

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

DreamyViridi

2,328. Posted:

Recently bought Advance Wars 2 for the GBA.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
The Kid Icarus League's LuigiMan200 - Bio by True_Hero.
My YouTube Channel
Viridi Avatar

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,329. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

@Waveboy Bro! That's the TV I had that crapped out on me and doesn't work anymore! :O

haha nice! These older CRT's can be finicky. Sometimes you just need to give them a good whack and they'll start working again. it's what i did to my poor old previous 32" Sony Wega SDTV that had given me some of the most amazing Wii & VC memories that i'll never forget. 6 years later the picture adopted this wierd nasty green haze and i gave it a good Shoryuken uppercut and suprisingly it went back to normal.lol I eventually sold it though, and after shifting through a few HDTV's including both Plasma & LCD i finally scored a 60" 1080p Panasonic S30 plasma off of craigs list. It's the grand daddy of panny plasmas in terms of having the lowest input lag.

But the downside to this particular 'n toobular display is that you have to get it Pro calibrated because it's got some serious issues with color(Sevre pink/magneta & red push), white clipping, and default High gamma. The flips side? Awesome deep black levels, good motion handeling, bright picture outside of Cinema & Standard mode, auto dimming is so subtle and of course it's kickin' low input lag. B-) Once the following problems above are fixed this set I'd say is the absolute B-bomb :*

Oh and by the bayside, i added you on my 3DS. ;)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

KingMike

2,330. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Yep that was the AVGN that said that. Just watched that episode the other day in fact. Also learned that you can use a Sega Genesis controller on the 2600 lol.

I killed a Famiclone using a Genesis controller. Not a big loss as on the Famiclone as it was a NoaC and there's tons of those out there, but I'm not sure if I damaged the controller though. I know one of my controllers is now barely responsive (D-Pad works, but only one button, A I think, sometimes works and only if I press really hard) but I'm not sure if that was broke before or after. Worse, I think one of the screws is stuck so I can't check.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

2,331. Posted:

When did this become your least retro TV purchase? :P I really don't mind playing 8-16 bit games on my newer style TV.

KingMike wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

I killed a Famiclone using a Genesis controller. Not a big loss as on the Famiclone as it was a NoaC and there's tons of those out there, but I'm not sure if I damaged the controller though. I know one of my controllers is now barely responsive (D-Pad works, but only one button, A I think, sometimes works and only if I press really hard) but I'm not sure if that was broke before or after. Worse, I think one of the screws is stuck so I can't check.

Genesis controllers are junk. It's like they came straight from Smogula.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,332. Posted:

@Rynoobula
Genesis controllers are junk. It's what partially ruined my experiences with Castlevania Bloodlines & Contra Hardcorps. They're both pretty solid in their own right but when you combine the two with that bulky, akward, loose buttoned, hulking abomination of a controller it just feels second rate. I've always hated it's sloppylicious d-pad as well. Using either the SNES controller or Classic controller which feel far more tactile would of made both experiences far more enjoyable. :p

lol But yup, there are users posting gamecube & N64 purchases in this thread, so i figured it wouldn't hurt that bad dudes-bad to throw in a late 90's CRT tubey.Still, that second Sony CRT below would of been far more ideal as it is Truly retro for the mullet boppin turtle pie muchin' masses. ;) Brings back a butt load of nostalgia!

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

2,333. Posted:

Whenever I play my Genesis I use the six button controller as I can't stand that hulking monstrosity of a controller that the three button one is. The six button is way slimmer and feels more like a controller.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,334. Posted:

@Totaly_Tasuki
Yeah, the 6 button controller is a nice upgarde i'll give you that, regardless if companies didn't make good use of the extra 3 buttons outside of mortal kombat and a mini-slew of other releases. :p I sold my genesis shortly after last Halloween, but for those looking into getting one Skip the 3 button junk controller and go for the 6-button! And speaking of the genny, i still need to play Gunstar Heroes and Ristar on the Wii's VC. :o

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

ogo79

2,335. Posted:

theres nothing wrong with the 3 or 6 button genesis controllers

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,336. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

theres nothing wrong with the 3 or 6 button genesis controllers

Everything is wrong with the 3 button sega genesis controller. But at least it's d-pad is 10x more functional than the XBOX 360's.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Ryno

2,337. Posted:

@ogo79: when are you going to stop making excuses for the Genesis? :P

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

KingMike

2,338. Posted:

Got a couple loose games today. Might & Magic for NES and something a little more precious: a retail Wrecking Crew '98.
Just watched somebody speedrun M&M and the downside is that is says to be continued in Book 2, only for Super Famicom (as I hear the PAL version was a separate port, and then only NA got the third game, ensuring nobody gets to play the full Nintendo console trilogy. :P )

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

ogo79

2,339. Posted:

@WaveBoy and @Ryno
yer both wrong.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

2,340. Posted:

So my brother brang my Sony 27" over tonight, and to my bloody suprise there were NO component(Blue,green & red) inputs in the back. I specificly asked the goober headed soccer mom on craigs list if this particular set did indeed have them, i mentioned the colors 'blue, green and red' in the message and she says "yup!"...

ugh! I mean yeah it was free, but i payed my brother to go and pick it up for me. lol No component cables aside it's still awesome for VHS, DVD, NES and SNES games. The Black levels are great, it's bright, the colors look awesome and there's nothing funky going on aside form the brown splotch in the bottom right corner. lol :p

I would totaly keep this tv soley for those things, but i wanted a component capable set for the Wii and i tried playing the wii over regular composite(Yellow, red & white) and it doesn't look so hot compared to a component connection at all. I couldn't bare it! :p Looks like my only hope and safe bet is to get one of the later mid 2000's Silver Sony wega CRT models which i previously owned which seem to be the norm on craigs list. what a pain in the mega tooshie.

Edit: Well, lookie lookie. It may not have component inputs but i discovered an S-Video input. score! :p I remember making the jump from regular composite to S-video back on the gamecube and i was pretty shocked by the difference in quality. Basically, S-video makes the picture look razor sharp and clear just like Component and reduces color bleeding and dot crawl significantly. Component still has the edge on brightness and color though and whatever the hell else like progressive scan but my TV obviously doesn't support that and i couldn't care less if it did. And this TV happens to be from 97'.....No wonder it doesn't support component.lol The question is, do i keep this tv and just deal with using an S-Video cable for the wii or do i spend $20 + gas money and pick up a 27" Silver 2005-ish sony wega crt trinitron that supports component cables. Hmmm. First world problems!

Edited on by WaveWarlock