Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 4,850

Xilef

Got Mach Rider for NES and Wave Race 64 today. Really cheap to, actually. Haven't played them that much yet, although from what i played they both seem really fun. ^^

Xilef

ogo79

@WaveBoy
i just finished Battle Kid, its a one hit game too, its a mock of old nes games and how hard a lot of them are. i just need to finish beating a bonus level that was added for it. after beating Battle Kid i feel i can beat any game now lol. however i did use a youtube walkthrough for it

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Yes, the GameCube and all Nintendo home consoles are region-locked.
(NES has regions NTSC and two PAL regions, SNES and N64: NTSC/PAL lockout chip and NA/JP lockout is based only on the cart shape. GC and Wii use a separate lockout for each region.)
As for portables, all Game Boy systems are region-free, the DS and DSLite are region-free, DSi is region-locked so any original DS games with DSi enhancement will be region-locked when played on a DSi or 3DS.

KingMike

Mk_II

to answer your question: a Japanese NTSC Gamecube will work with a USA NTSC TV but it will only run Japanese games. There are ways to unlock the region lock but you really should only buy a Japanese console if you have Japanese games you want to play or for collecting / display purposes.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

Retro_on_theGo

Can't understand Japanese othe than a few words do no point in owning a Japanese console for me.

Just made 2 new purchases today! Both for $5. First up:
Untitled
I've never played it, but for only 5 bucks I though eh what the heck.
Also got the classic:
Untitled
Not a huge fan of it, but I never played it so I thought it'd be fine for 5 bucks.
Nothing amazing but fun games nonetheless.

Mk_II

Both are excellent games, Pokemon Snap really surprised me (im a bit too old for most Pokemon games)

Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21

SuperToad

Faxanadu. Considered getting it on VC until I saw the real thing in a pawn shop, 8 bucks. My NES is in need of a new connector pin though, I'm waiting on it now.

SuperToad

Retro_on_theGo

WaveBoy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Can't understand Japanese othe than a few words do no point in owning a Japanese console for me.

Just made 2 new purchases today! Both for $5. First up:
Untitled
I've never played it, but for only 5 bucks I though eh what the heck.
Also got the classic:
Untitled
Not a huge fan of it, but I never played it so I thought it'd be fine for 5 bucks.
Nothing amazing but fun games nonetheless.

Those slick 3D monstrous moving waves in WaveRace 64 were pretty damn Impressive for the time! Although i never cared too much for the game itself, but it was still a nice N64 showcase nonethelessy'!. How was WR: Blue Storm btw? I played maybe 5 minutes of it during the launch of the cube, but for me Luigi's Mansion especially and Starwars Rogue Squadren II completely overshadowed it.

Never played that one unfortunately. The GCN launch game I spent the most time with was Luigi's Mansion. Loved it. Haven't played Rogue Squadren ll either.
EDIT: Holy crud guys! Mega man savin' the world important news! My TV is working! My little brother punched it hard and boom. Perfect picture!! XD Ooohh man I can't wait to get started on SMB 2. Then maybe Paper Mario! I'm going to take my sweet time finishing RE 2 though. It scares the crap outta me and I completely forgot everything, so it's kind of intimidating to go back now.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo

You're stilling waiting on that remote? That's some koopa troopa snail mail. Sorry to hear it. I know how annoying it can be waiting a long time for a package, especially an important one.
Ah, Metroid NES. I barely beat the game a month or 2 ago. On my 3DS though. It's very hard, be warned. The NES game has a password system, yes. You get one every time you die. It saves all your power ups and what not. You still go all the way back to the beginning of the area you're in with 30 hits of health unfortunately. I can't imagine having to beat it in one run. Even though that's what you're required to do to see Samus in her 8-bit blinding bikini! (Beat it in 2 hours technically, but what ever.) The save states on the 3DS version are a blessing. Good luck beating it on the NES.

KingMike

Metroid on the NES has a password system.
Though the FDS version has a save feature (and subsequently the "Famicom Mini" Japanese version of the GBA port, since it was based on the FDS version. Unlike the US/EU "Classic NES series" versions and all versions of Zero Mission, including Japanese, which were based on the NES).
Though at least the ZM versions do offer to store one password at a time to the cart's save memory (which it will auto-enter the next time you play).

The thing I'm not sure of... does Metroid still reset your health even if you use the code on controller 2 to make the password screen appear? (I'm not certain, but I think Zelda let you keep your life meter if you used the code to make the save menu appear instead of intentionally getting a Game Over)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Mk_II

today's purchases...

Untitled

Mk_II

latest arrivals!

Untitled

Wheels2050

WaveBoy wrote:

I'm guessing around $200?

I'd be EXTREMELY impressed if all that came to under $200... A SNES alone (assuming it works) goes for around $70-80 online. Then again, one might be able to find a bargain at a market.

EDIT: Where did you find all that Mk_II, by the way?

Edited on by Wheels2050

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

HandheldGuru97

Mk_II wrote:

today's purchases...

Untitled

OH my freaking crap that is awesome. Hey I see an Atari Lynx model ll up there with Batman Returns. Good pick up, how much did yours cost? I purchased one back in January for about $50. If you haven't played a Lynx you MUST play that one you got there. Easily one of the most under appreciated handhelds in the history of handhelds.

Edited on by HandheldGuru97

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

Mk_II

Gentleman, i paid slightly less than 70 euro or 91$ for the whole lot. Every year on April 30th or Queens Day my country (Holland) turns into one giant yardsale and thats where i picked it all up. I've had much bigger hauls in previous years

The Lynx (+2 games) was quite expensive at 7,50 euro. The mystery NES game is Nintendo World Cup. Here's a complete list:
Gamecube black console, 2 black controllers, 1 indigo controller, GB player, Nintendo 251 blocks memcard, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Need For Speed - Underground, Super Mario Sunshine, FIFA Football 2004, Mario Smash Football (2 copies), 1080 Avalanche, NBA Street V3 feat. Nintendo All-Stars, Sims 2 - Pets, FIFA Street 2, Mario Kart Double Dash!! + Zelda Collector's Edition, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Super Bust-A-Move All Stars, Mario Party 4 (all CIB).3DS Nintendogs & Cats - Golden Retriever (CIB) Nintendo 64 console, psu, av cable, mem. expansion pak, jumper pak, FIFA 99 (CIB), controller pak Wii Resident Evil 4 (CIB), Red Steel (CIB) SNES dirty console, 2 controllers, psu, AV cable, mint-ish loose console NES Nintendo World Cup Lynx console, Batman, Hockey Gameboy console, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Game & Watch Gallery 2, Mario & Yoshi, Snoopy's Magic Show, Blades Of Steel (CIB), Zen - Intergalactic Ninja (CIB), RoboCop (CIB), four cart cases Nintendo DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers Of Time Supervision console, Crystball, Hero Hawk, 1 cart sleeve Gameboy Advance Megaman Zero 3 (bootleg) plus Gamecube carry-all bag, large Mario figure, licensed Black Yoshi, Star and Toadette plushies.

Edited on by Mk_II

Wheels2050

Wow, not bad! I never really got into the whole garage sale thing. I went to a few looking for furniture when my wife and I moved house, and was also on the lookout for video game stuff, but never saw anything worthwhile.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Tasuki

WaveBoy wrote:

Mk_II wrote:

today's purchases...

Untitled

BTW, What's the mysterious NES game you picked up that's nicely tucked behind that classic NES sleeve case?

I could be wrong but I believe the NES game is Nintendo World Cup.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Mk_II

I could be wrong but I believe the NES game is Nintendo World Cup.

ehh... i already revealed the identity of that game a few posts ago. But you are correct. well spotted!

Edited on by Mk_II

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic