Forums

Topic: What is the thing you miss most about retro gaming & consoles?

Posts 101 to 112 of 112

HawkeyeWii

I miss back when there weren't any of these repetitive first person shooter games. There are way too many now, it's insane! I also loved back when people didn't care about the graphics. It was about the gameplay and pure fun, just like it should be. That was all true until Xbox came in and ruined everything

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

FireMario887

I was born playing today's consoles, but there is stuff that seemed so great back when I play the virtual console. Sure Nintendo is making the NSMB series where the classics are reborn, but why can't developers do it as well and blockbuster-y as it was in the past? The controllers were always interesting and simple back then too. Those games even had a lot of fun in stock. Super Metroid was so great, it felt like an alien gave mankind his technology! The classic Zelda games had a creative way to inject 3D in side-scrolling perspective! There is so many games that was missed.....

FireMario887

Gamesake

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I also loved back when people didn't care about the graphics.

Seems like graphics were actually a bigger deal in the 80s and 90s than they are now. Look at the best selling consoles in the last ten years. The PS2 and Wii were not known for stellar graphics.

...in my pants.

RobbEJay

The thing is graphics were the main way to judge a console's power back in the day, these days it seems to be all about specs. The still play a role but more along the lines of a fluid, pretty picture. Every time I see a console vs. console topic these days the first thing people bring up is one blowing the other out of the water spec-wise.

I have to say I do miss how the console wars back then were more like schoolyard rivalries or a cold war than an all-out frag fest . There was arguing over which was better but for the most part Nintendo had Mario, Final Fight, and Final Fantasy while Sega had Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Phantasy Star, kids just picked the one they liked best. Now you have Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft and all this nonsense like Nintendos for babies or or whos more "hardcore". What happened to actually playing games?

RobbEJay

MikeDanger

I miss the games treating me like a smart person instead of telling me how to do every single thing every single freaking time I have to do it like if i'm a really dumb person. I don't feel accomplished by doing a puzzle if the game tells me all the hints. I don't feel bass @$$ by pressing R1 to auto lock into an enemy to shoot. You get my point, I miss the learning by doing things in games. These days games are way to helpful....mind as well have a button for it to do it all by itself.

Fan of: Shin Megami Tensei/ (Classic) Mega Man/ Pokemon/ Batman Arkham/ Metal Gear Solid/Peanuts/ DBZ/ Regular Show/ Power Rangers/The Walking Dead/ Invincible/ Detective Comics/ Secret Six/ Immortal Iron Fist/ Lobo/ Green Lantern
Colors 3D:

ShadJV

Quality. Simplicity. When the biggest arms race for video games was NOT having the most realistic graphics, it was more about gameplay. I miss when adventure games were more common than the FPS (N64 era), or when platformers were king (SNES). With sprites, we didn't have to worry about how well the graphics age. Unfortunately, N64 didn't have this advantage, but there are Super NES games that will never look bad. There's something 2D games capture that I never grow tired from and that's why, no matter how pretty it looks, New Super Mario Bros games well never become memorable to me, definitely not more than Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World. Even a game like Yoshi's Island, torturing me with the wails of Baby Mario's tantrums, has such charm, such character. I want a new top down Zelda game. I want a new side scrolling Metroid. Today, games try to race to be the most advanced, forgetting how beautiful simplicity can be. I truly value the developer that chooses to remind us that games don't always need to push a system to be fun.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

Bass_X0

bulby1994 wrote:

Not having to install updates every time you turn on the system -_-

Back then we had to buy 32X and Sega CD if we wanted to update our console.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

The_Fox

ShadJV wrote:

. When the biggest arms race for video games was NOT having the most realistic graphics, it was more about gameplay.

That's not really true. I recently looked through a bunch of old late 80's/early 90's video game magazines and the single thing I took away from it was that having better graphics than the next guy was a huge deal then as well. They were just constrained by the technology of the time as to how they could achieve that.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

CM30

The free world gameplay from Super Mario 64, Sunshine and the Banjo Kazooie games. I miss when games weren't so linear and you could actually explore the level to find interesting stuff and do missions in any order.

I also miss when Mario games could do interesting stuff and not be all New Super Mario Bros like. It feels like Nintendo is deliberately limiting the series to avoid scaring away 'casual' gamers.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Geonjaha

Original concepts, and developers who weren't afraid to use them in their games for fear of no publication.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

JGMR

I agree on the manual-thing. Something I stressed for years. It is definitely a integral part of the game in it's totality...

The limitation of a console brings out the greatest creativity of a developer, especially the 8- and 16-bit titles proved that...

With kind regards,

JGMR

JGMR

Oh, How could I forget? The magazines! TOTAL!, C&VG, Power Unlimited, Nintendo Magazine System...

The writing of cheats into a notebook, in a kiosk...

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.