Retro Forum

Topic: Things you didn't know about certain video games for years

Showing 301 to 320 of 373

AuthorMessage

KingMike

301. Posted:

That someone in Japan made an arcade game called Lethal Crash Race ("LEASAL CLASS LACE!!"), sampling MLK for the demo music! O_o
I'm sure he saw THAT coming, 25 years after his death. :P

KingMike

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

302. Posted:

The Atari Jaguar actually was released in Japan.

Untitled

http://www.gamefaqs.com/jaguar/915842-jaguar/data

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage

NintyMan

303. Posted:

During development of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, there was concept art of a Chicken Suit.
Untitled

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

304. Posted:

While it's not a "Thing you didn't know about certain video games for years" but Ecco the Dolphin is the first Sega Genesis/MD game to have a Miiverse community.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

305. Posted:

That Ice Man's boss battle in the original NES Mega Man was THE greatest boss battle of the 6-robot masters. I could never get to him back in the day largely due to the disappearing block segments and the giant Sky death pit with those annoying floating pea shooting googly eye robots. :P Years later i gave Mega Man a whirl and finally made it to Ice man. After raising my fist in the air like the Ultimate Warrior my expression shifted from extatic to seriousDUDER... What then came after made the other 5 robot master fights feel sloppy in comparison. There's just something so satisfying about his Ice blasting pattern, and how you're supposed to jump right in it and get out as quick as you can, almost in tune with a game of Operation B-)

It's rather tame in the beginning, but it gets hectic when things speed up during the middle! ;)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

KingMike

306. Posted:

I think Ice Man is one of the more manageable of the six bosses.
I think Bomb Man is the easiest.
Elec Man is definitely the hardest (the Thunder Beam is the size of a barn and it kills you in three hits), and Fire Man is the one I next struggle with.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Gamecubed

307. Posted:

About six months ago I found out that you could unlock King Boo and Petey Piranha on Mario Kart Double Dash. Still haven't done it. I can't get over the fact that for YEARS I thought I had unlocked everything on that game.

Gamecubed

3DS Friend Code: 4597-0041-9765 | Nintendo Network ID: McFailing

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

308. Posted:

Mortal Kombat was offered to Turbo Technologies as an exclusive game for the TG16, but the TTI executives in Japan turned it down, since they thought "Americans were sick of fighting games".

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

KingMike

309. Posted:

That would have been a very desperate move given the limited availability of the TG16 in the US, especially by that time.
One can only imagine that is why TTI passed up SFII (Capcom almost certainly would've been asking for a mountain of cash to license that).

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

310. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

That Ice Man's boss battle in the original NES Mega Man was THE greatest boss battle of the 6-robot masters. I could never get to him back in the day largely due to the disappearing block segments and the giant Sky death pit with those annoying floating pea shooting googly eye robots. :P Years later i gave Mega Man a whirl and finally made it to Ice man. After raising my fist in the air like the Ultimate Warrior my expression shifted from extatic to seriousDUDER... What then came after made the other 5 robot master fights feel sloppy in comparison. There's just something so satisfying about his Ice blasting pattern, and how you're supposed to jump right in it and get out as quick as you can, almost in tune with a game of Operation B-)

It's rather tame in the beginning, but it gets hectic when things speed up during the middle! ;)

I never noticed that it looks like Ice Man is skating instead of running.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

311. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

I never noticed that it looks like Ice Man is skating instead of running.

Hah, i never noticed that. I think most of us back in the day were too busy concentrating on dodging the slew of Ice chunks blasting towards us rather than observing Ice man's Tonya Harding skating skills. :P

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

312. Posted:

Street Fighter II was on the ZX Spectrum.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

NintyMan

313. Posted:

In Wario World, after waiting 50 minutes on the pause screen, Wario's chanting will suddenly make a brief pause and then Wario will mumble, "Sorry" before starting over.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

GuSolarFlare

314. Posted:

Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland was a Remake of Kirby's Adventure O.o
I played through both and never noticed the similarities! :O

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

315. Posted:

I'm sure you know Super Punch-Out, but did you know there was never a Japanese Super Famicom cartridge release of the game? Super Punch-Out was originally only available in Japan through an online Nintendo cartridge. Super Punch Out is only available in Japan physically on the Japanese Gamecube version of "Fight Night Round 2". Super Punch Out was also released on the Japanese Wii VC and will also be released on their Wii U VC.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook

AuthorMessage

KingMike

316. Posted:

Yes, it is one of the few games exclusively released for the "Nintendo Power" legal flashcarts (you buy the cart, then you go to a store to legally buy the ROM). Except once the VC launched you could no longer do that, and thus the exclusive games suddenly became much rarer. (like the Famicom Disk System, games that were only distributed through disk-writing machines became limited in supply once Nintendo pulled the machines from stores and then a decade letter, stopped allowing people to mail their disks to Nintendo).
Unfortunately, I have heard of at least one collector who paid a ton of money for a cart with one of the more desirable games only to find out the game was partially corrupted. Is that due to aging of the FlashROM? :(
Also, it was only released three and a half years after the North American release. Yet, the Japanese version was probably made first as there is a code you can enter in the NA version to allow you to name your character in Japanese if you want.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

SuperMalleo

317. Posted:

Apparently Bert was going to be in Marvel vs Capcom.
Untitled

Plumber extraordinaire at your service.
配管工の非凡なあなたのサービスで。

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage

Manaphy2007

318. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

I've been playing Ocarina of Time since I was a pretty young child.
But I had no idea that in the Lost Woods, in one of the sections (I forget which one now) there's a hole hidden in a patch of grass, and if you fall down it there's a bunch of Deku Scrubs that'll let you play a game with them. There's a whole minigame I never knew about until like, last month. Crazy. This game has some depth, y'all.

i knew about that as a kid but didnt know what to do in it.

3DS friend code: 1134-7324-0186
Nintendo Network ID: Manaphy2007_67

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7324-0186 | Nintendo Network ID: Manaphy2007_67 | Twitter: CarlosMendoza_9

AuthorMessage

FishieFish

319. Posted:

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

Apparently Bert was going to be in Marvel vs Capcom.
Untitled

..Whaa, what?

"No one said you could touch."

AuthorMessage

Deathgaze

320. Posted:

I always misread Donkey Kong Country 2's subtitle as Diddy Kong's Quest. 20 years later I was digging around for my old copy, found it and discovered it's Diddy's Kong Quest. You so clever, Rareware.

Deathgaze

Nintendo Network ID: Deathgaze