Retro Forum

Topic: Things you didn't know about certain video games for years

Showing 181 to 200 of 364

AuthorMessage

KingMike

181. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

Thing is, there's 190 of them, with 39 Missingno's sporadically dispersed through the game's code.

You mean there's 190 values between the first and the last used Pokemon, and then the remaining 66 possible values after are all MissingNo (since one byte can hold 256 possible numbers)?

KingMike

AuthorMessage

moomoo

182. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

moomoo wrote:

Thing is, there's 190 of them, with 39 Missingno's sporadically dispersed through the game's code.

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

You mean there's 190 values between the first and the last used Pokemon, and then the remaining 66 possible values after are all MissingNo (since one byte can hold 256 possible numbers)?

[/div]

[/div]

Based on the context of this, you didn't seem to look at the link. The 39 MissingNos were inbetween the 190. Yeah, 256 are used if you count the junk data (and if you count zero, whose placement breaks the game), but 4 in the junk data represent hexes. So 255-4=251. Also, why in the world would you have MissingNos inbetween the 190? 30 and 31 are both MissingNos, yet many more Pokemon were made afterwards.
The interview pretty much confirms it anyway. 190 seems like a pretty random number, and the guy jumped in his seat.

EDIT My post was slightly off. You can't trade them into Gold/Silver, but the time capsule recognizes the Missingno as those Pokemon. From Bulbapedia:

*In the trade center, Missingno., due to its index number, appears as many different Generation II Pokémon from the perspective of Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, most commonly Tyrogue (due to the common name of ASH in Generation I). For a full list of the Generation II Pokémon Missingno. can appear as, see list of Pokémon by index number (Generation I). If the player tries to trade Missingno., a message will appear stating "Your <name> appears abnormal." and the trade will automatically be cancelled. Rarely, if a Missingno. is successfully traded, it will become the Pokémon it was said to be, and act normally (though it will retain any and all moves it had as a Missingno.). At this point, it only may be traded back into the Generation I game while the player is still in the Time Capsule (where it will again become a Missingno.), as if the player leaves, the Generation II game will detect it as a Generation II Pokémon and not allow the player to enter the Time Capsule. *

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

Radixxs

183. Posted:

I JUST looked at all of that stuff about Missingno and the original Pokemon yesterday, crazy. All of this kind of stuff is extremely interesting, and reading it all has made me decide to get Black 2.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

184. Posted:

When i was a young little Mega Mulletfied pee wee, i used to think that Crash Man from Mega Man 2 was actually called 'Clash' man. Years later when i plunked the MM2 cart into my shnazzy retro NES i discovered it was actually Crash man.

Untitled

How that completely wizzed pass my 5 year old self back in the golden Age of gaming goolay' i'll never know. Funny enough his name was actually 'Clash' man in japan. B-)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

185. Posted:

I always thought it was Clash Man too.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

TheN64Dude

186. Posted:

The existence of N64DD. Everytime I think about how I could have played that system, plus tons of great games can make me a little mad at Nintendo for not supporting it like they should have.

Get "N" or Get Out!

AuthorMessage

KingMike

187. Posted:

The BAD BAD THING with this box art, didn't notice until I began making high-res scans of my Famicom manuals and boxes.
Untitled
(click for higher res pic, though I still shrunk it down from the original size)
Shame on you, Nintendo. :P

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

188. Posted:

Kirby's Dreamland game over music and the song that plays in the king's throne rooms in SMB3 are basically the same song.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Kinsale

189. Posted:

That "Survival Kids" for the Gameboy color was the first "Lost in Blue" game

Who are you running from? (?_?)/
someday there will be a cactus pokemon, that is actually good.
(O vvv O)/ add me if you want to play KI:U, or ACNL, OR Pokemon
I make a lot of typos, so expect many of my posts to be edited

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8031-2017

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

190. Posted:

Kirby's Dreamland 3 and 64 have blood in them.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

DestinyMan

191. Posted:

I found out today that the original Donkey Kong Country has a music test by using a cheat code.
1. On the "select a game" menu, highlight "erase a game"
2. Press Down, A, R, B, Y, Down, A, Y
3. Press the Select button to change between the music tracks in the game.

There's also a secret cave where you can practice playing all the animal buddy bonus rounds.
1. During the intro with Cranky Kong and Donkey Kong playing music, press Down, Y, Down, Down, Y

I've been playing this game since I was a little kid and there were still things I never knew about it! It just comes to show how dedicated Rare was in making this game.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

192. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

When i was a young little Mega Mulletfied pee wee, i used to think that Crash Man from Mega Man 2 was actually called 'Clash' man. Years later when i plunked the MM2 cart into my shnazzy retro NES i discovered it was actually Crash man.

Untitled

How that completely wizzed pass my 5 year old self back in the golden Age of gaming goolay' i'll never know. Funny enough his name was actually 'Clash' man in japan. B-)

I always thought the whole Clashman/Crashman thing was due to Engrish translation.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

zezhyrule

193. Posted:

Untitled

I love this game all the more now.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] PhoenixCake: my brother is such a dope >___>.

AuthorMessage

KingMike

194. Posted:

1Up can kick Cielo Mist's butt. :)
(I don't know about in-game.)

And Clash Man was known as such in the Game Boy MM2.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Emaan

195. Posted:

zezhyrule wrote:

Untitled

"Omg that's from 24 the TV show!"
Is what you all should've said >:0

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

zezhyrule

196. Posted:

Well I mean, isn't it obvious? D:

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] PhoenixCake: my brother is such a dope >___>.

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

197. Posted:

zezhyrule wrote:

Untitled

omg

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Electricmastro

198. Posted:

That in Generation I, despite the fact the move existed at the time, Lickitung could not learn Lick.

Untitled

Source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lick_(move)#By_leveling_up

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

199. Posted:

That Toad man from Mega Man 4 actually got a Labotomy from Dr.Wily while learning the Truffle Shuffle After Watching The Goonies before going toe to toe(or should I say 'hop to hop' tee hee) up against good old' Mega. :p Possibly one of dumbest boss battles in Mega Man hostory! And now you know why. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

200. Posted:

That's Imperialdramon on the cover of Digimon Card Battle and the DS in Digimon World DS stood for Data Squad. ._.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery