Forums

Topic: Things you didn't know about certain video games for years

Posts 161 to 180 of 377

steveex

In Banjo Kazooie, I had always waited until getting the Golden Feathers in Clanker's Cavern before going attacking Nipper to get in his shell. I always thought that was how you were meant to do it, even up to when I played the XBLA version. I only found out you could just avoid his attacks after watching a Let's Play.

It always annoyed me because I would have to go back and get all the notes again when I came back.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0644-8202

moomoo

Missingno's from Red/Blue/Yellow can be traded to Gold/Silver/Crystal. Thing is, they turn out to be actual Pokemon not made available until 2nd gen. The Pokemon in the orginal game are organized in the game's code by an index number, with the first being Rhydon and the last being Victreebel. Since the creator of Pokemon stated that Rhydon was the first Pokemon the team made, it'd make sense that this was the order the Pokemon were made in. Thing is, there's 190 of them, with 39 Missingno's sporadically dispersed through the game's code. When these Missingno are traded to Gold/Silver through the time machine, they turn out to be actual Pokemon. This could very well mean that many of the Pokemon in 2nd gen could have been made early in the development of Red and Blue, and later tossed to fit more towards the mechanics in the next gen of Pokemon, or to just make room for a sequel.
Here's the list of index numbers: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_b...
A member of the Smogon community (a big group of Pokemon battlers, Serebii is made up of them) was able to get an interview with Shigeki Morimoto, the creator of Mew, and the guy that put Mew in as a little thing for people to find, at the Pokemon World Championships in 2009. Here's how it goes out:

So at the worlds this year I decided to ask Shigeki Morimoto, the guy who made Mew, about it. Since I asked him at the autograph table, where he would have his translator, I didn't have long so I can pretty much outline the exchange as this:
Me: "So in Red and Green, were there originally exactly 190 Pokémon?"
Translator relays to Morimoto; he sort of jumps in his chair enthusiastically (lol) and seems very happy, grinning at me
Translator: "Yes; we decided to save the rest of the designs for later"
Me: "So for example Ho-Oh was made for Red and Green first? Since it was in the first episode of the anime?"
he hears Ho-Oh and looks confused, then then when the translator says the rest to him he remains the same
Translator: "No, not Ho-Oh. He wasn't made earlier."
And then I say domo arigato and get rushed out by the queue building behind me, heheh. However what he said about Ho-Oh just doesn't make sense so I'm guessing that was an error in the translation. Since Ho-Oh is #49 in the list and appears in anime episode 1 it obviously had been made by that time so he probably tried to say Ho-Oh wasn't made for Red and Green, and was just in there with no real intention of keeping it in.
So yeah, those are my findings! I hope you all find them interesting.

Here's where I found it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78267
The beta art from the link also shows that most of the Pokemon in 2nd gen were pretty much made at this point. This also could help explain why the design of Pokemon from 1st and 2nd gen vary greatly from later generations. I'm saying that as a bad or good thing, but to point out that Pokemon before 3rd gen lacked complexity in their design. Nearly all of them made up only 1 or 2 colors overall, with black and white also in there. This was probably due to the graphical limitations of the Gameboy/GBC. When the GBA came out, the team could design pretty much whatever they wanted. That, and Ken Sugimori was no longer directly making Pokemon, but instead overseeing the creation of them.
I love the mystery behind so much of the 1st gen pokemon games. You could write books about this stuff.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

KingMike

moomoo wrote:

Thing is, there's 190 of them, with 39 Missingno's sporadically dispersed through the game's code.

You mean there's 190 values between the first and the last used Pokemon, and then the remaining 66 possible values after are all MissingNo (since one byte can hold 256 possible numbers)?

KingMike

moomoo

KingMike wrote:

moomoo wrote:

Thing is, there's 190 of them, with 39 Missingno's sporadically dispersed through the game's code.

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

You mean there's 190 values between the first and the last used Pokemon, and then the remaining 66 possible values after are all MissingNo (since one byte can hold 256 possible numbers)?

[/div]

[/div]

Based on the context of this, you didn't seem to look at the link. The 39 MissingNos were inbetween the 190. Yeah, 256 are used if you count the junk data (and if you count zero, whose placement breaks the game), but 4 in the junk data represent hexes. So 255-4=251. Also, why in the world would you have MissingNos inbetween the 190? 30 and 31 are both MissingNos, yet many more Pokemon were made afterwards.
The interview pretty much confirms it anyway. 190 seems like a pretty random number, and the guy jumped in his seat.

EDIT My post was slightly off. You can't trade them into Gold/Silver, but the time capsule recognizes the Missingno as those Pokemon. From Bulbapedia:

*In the trade center, Missingno., due to its index number, appears as many different Generation II Pokémon from the perspective of Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, most commonly Tyrogue (due to the common name of ASH in Generation I). For a full list of the Generation II Pokémon Missingno. can appear as, see list of Pokémon by index number (Generation I). If the player tries to trade Missingno., a message will appear stating "Your <name> appears abnormal." and the trade will automatically be cancelled. Rarely, if a Missingno. is successfully traded, it will become the Pokémon it was said to be, and act normally (though it will retain any and all moves it had as a Missingno.). At this point, it only may be traded back into the Generation I game while the player is still in the Time Capsule (where it will again become a Missingno.), as if the player leaves, the Generation II game will detect it as a Generation II Pokémon and not allow the player to enter the Time Capsule. *

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Radixxs

I JUST looked at all of that stuff about Missingno and the original Pokemon yesterday, crazy. All of this kind of stuff is extremely interesting, and reading it all has made me decide to get Black 2.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

TheN64Dude

The existence of N64DD. Everytime I think about how I could have played that system, plus tons of great games can make me a little mad at Nintendo for not supporting it like they should have.

Get "N" or Get Out!

KingMike

The BAD BAD THING with this box art, didn't notice until I began making high-res scans of my Famicom manuals and boxes.
Untitled
(click for higher res pic, though I still shrunk it down from the original size)
Shame on you, Nintendo.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Kinsale

That "Survival Kids" for the Gameboy color was the first "Lost in Blue" game

Who are you running from? (?_?)/
someday there will be a cactus pokemon, that is actually good.
(O vvv O)/ add me if you want to play KI:U, or ACNL, OR Pokemon
I make a lot of typos, so expect many of my posts to be edited

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8031-2017

Tasuki

WaveBoy wrote:

When i was a young little Mega Mulletfied pee wee, i used to think that Crash Man from Mega Man 2 was actually called 'Clash' man. Years later when i plunked the MM2 cart into my shnazzy retro NES i discovered it was actually Crash man.

Untitled

How that completely wizzed pass my 5 year old self back in the golden Age of gaming goolay' i'll never know. Funny enough his name was actually 'Clash' man in japan.

I always thought the whole Clashman/Crashman thing was due to Engrish translation.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

KingMike

1Up can kick Cielo Mist's butt.
(I don't know about in-game.)

And Clash Man was known as such in the Game Boy MM2.

KingMike

e-love

zezhyrule wrote:

Untitled

I love this game all the more now.

"Omg that's from 24 the TV show!"
Is what you all should've said >:0

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.