Forums

Topic: Things you didn't know about certain video games for years

Posts 141 to 160 of 377

EvilRegal

I won't say I didn't know it, but I didn't realize I'd come short of it. And that is the 96 level completion of Super Mario World to get a star by your file. I'm making 2012 a kind of Super Nintendo year to celebrate my 20th anniversary of owning it, and going back to play my first games. So, I've been playing Super Mario World from scratch and using a guide to make sure I've done everything. Discovered that you don't have 100% unless you have the *96 on your file. Somehow, my original save(s) got wiped out by accident, but I know I never had a * by it. So, the other morning, after owning it for 20 years, 2 months, I finally finished SMW 100%!

In light of this, I'm going back to investigate online lot of my old games that I finished pre-Internet, to see if there was stuff I missed the first go around. I'd highly recommend that everyone else do this with their old games too. Might wind up putting a new shine on some of your old classics, to go back and do things you didn't on your original playthrough!

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

PoorVGameNerd

Wow, I'd never heard of those Zelda secrets before, and Kamek being replaced by Donkey Kong in Mario Kart 64 is news to me. I remember hearing that Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a "real" Mario game back in 2002 or 2003, 14 or 15 years after I'd gotten it as a kid. Heard it from G4 back when they were still "the video game channel."

www.poorvideogamenerd.com
Retro Nintendo Game Reviews

EvilRegal

I've started playing through TLoZ: A Link to the Past again, and it reminded me of a case a few years ago where I made a discovery.

Of course, in 1992 and several years after, there was no Internet, and thus no game walkthroughs/guides. Finished LttP a few weeks after getting it in April of '92. Fast forward to December 2002. I got the GBA LttP port, and used a gamefaqs.com walkthrough. I was absolutely STUNNED to learn at the end of it that there was a level 4 sword that could be gotten at the end of the game by throwing your level 3 sword in the fountain and the fat fairy upgrading it!

So, for over 10 years I had no idea there was the level 4 gold sword, which makes the last fight so much easier! Embarrassing, but true! It must not have been a widely known thing, as I never heard of it in a game magazine or anything. Of course, I'd have found out if I threw different things in and experimented, but I didn't.

RevolverLink

Both times I've beaten ALttP, I forgot to get the Silver Arrows.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

KaiserGX

Mario Bros. 3 World 8 there's a level where you can swim in lava. Normally you would die in lava just by touching it but if you look at the map, it's a lake shaped like a Koopa Skull. It's actually a blood pond. Untitled

This ties in with Japanese mythology about a blood pond in hell. I guess Bowser's Title in Japan, Daimao Koopa (Demon King Bowser) makes sense here. Untitled

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

kyuubikid213

I just realized yesterday that Bill in the Pokemon games is named after Bill Gates.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

KingMike

FluttershyGuy wrote:

Discovered that you don't have 100% unless you have the *96 on your file. Somehow, my original save(s) got wiped out by accident, but I know I never had a * by it. So, the other morning, after owning it for 20 years, 2 months, I finally finished SMW 100%!

Only on the US version, the PAL version turns the number blue... and the Japanese version gives no indication.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Tasuki

That Wario Woods is the only NES game to receive a rating from the ESRB.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

e-love

That the game Donkey Kong was originally going to be about Popeye.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

CowLaunch

I didn't know about going behind the scenery in SMB3 for years. I had no internets!

CowLaunch

e-love

CowLaunch wrote:

I didn't know about going behind the scenery in SMB3 for years. I had no internets!

Me either! Well I had the internet, but I was too young to bother to look things up about my GBA.

EvilRegal

@Retro & @RevolverLink
I just learned something too, as I didn't know Ganon could be beaten WITHOUT the Silver Arrows! So, all three of us did it the hard way originally. Me without level 4 sword, you two without silver arrows!

@Miss_Birdo
A blood pond? Boy, that's pretty hardcore for a Mario game! I'd never thought of that!

@CowLaunch
That's me too. Found out about dropping behind the white platforms in Nintendo Power or something. But, there's many years of games I realize I may not know everything about, because they were pre-Internetz.

Something I found out shortly after joining the Internet crowd in 1999 was that there's a sound test in Castlevania III! I liked that, because CV III's is music to my earholes.

Edited on by EvilRegal

RevolverLink

Oh no, I mis-worded that. You can't actually beat Ganon without the Silver Arrows. I just meant that both times I beat ALttP, I forgot to get the Silver Arrows at first. After about 5-10 deaths, I had to actually to look up what the heck I was doing wrong.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

EvilRegal

RevolverLink wrote:

Oh no, I mis-worded that. You can't actually beat Ganon without the Silver Arrows. I just meant that both times I beat ALttP, I forgot to get the Silver Arrows at first. After about 5-10 deaths, I had to actually to look up what the heck I was doing wrong.

Ah, I gotcha. I was thinking, fat fairy didn't know what she was talking about that those were the arrows needed to give Ganon his last breaths!

NotEnoughGolds

Kid_A wrote:

I've been playing Ocarina of Time since I was a pretty young child. But I had no idea that in the Lost Woods, in one of the sections (I forget which one now) there's a hole hidden in a patch of grass, and if you fall down it there's a bunch of Deku Scrubs that'll let you play a game with them. There's a whole minigame I never knew about until like, last month. Crazy. This game has some depth, y'all.

I didn't know about that until I played it on the 3DS (at first I thought it was new, until I looked it up on the intarwebs).

I also didn't know there was a blue rupee around the corner in the shop at the beginning of Ocarina of Time until I watched my GF play the game a few months ago.

NotEnoughGolds

e-love

Super Mario Bros. shares the same initials (SMB) with a lot more games than I thought. Even including the "Super" in the name. Super Monkey Ball and Super Meat Boy are two examples.

EvilRegal

During my "SNES Replay" tour, I just made another discovery, this time about Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (courtesy of GameFAQs). Benjamin can cast Cure on the final boss and take over 10,000 hit points off (rarely, 3,000 is the most you'll ever take off with an attack, with a weakness & critical hit). Yet your partner (who I'll avoid naming, as it's endgame) CURES the final boss by casting cure. PeCURElier, if you ask me!

KaiserGX

Someone asking about the Blood Pond, it's pretty common in Japanese mythology and culture. There's also an actual pond in Japan. The Chinoike Jigoku (Bloody Pond Hell) in Beppu City. All the fire levels in Mario are named after Hell in the Japanese versions.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.