Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 585

Vinny

Anyone here played that very unusual game Cubivore? How is it?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Anti-Matter

@Vinny
Yikes.
Cubivore was Too Blocky like Unbox on Nintendo Switch. 😣

Edit: You have to attack and eat other Cube creatures to survive and gain color change. (Hint from Vora word means Eater)
I don't like this idea after shortly i watched from Youtube just now.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

DTMOF84

Just got my GameCube yesterday. Does anyone have the CARBY HDMI adapter? I thought I wanted to try and add an internal kit. But seems like this is the way to go. Thoughts?

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Zeldafan79

I really wish i could find an HD adapter for gamecube that didn't cost a pant load. More than 60 is where i start thinking it's not worth it. I just want to be able to play my gamecube on a modern TV without it looking like blurry dog crap!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

DTMOF84

@Zeldafan79 the CARBY is around $75. Seems to be the best route. The Pluto internal board looks clean when its installed. But there's a lot involved getting it in there.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Zeldafan79

@DTMOF84
Taking the gamecube apart is something i am not too thrilled with. I did it once to adjust a laser and it was quite the task. I was exhausted by the time i got the thing back together! Wanna know what's harder though? Ever try reshelling a DS? Now that almost drove me insane! As soon as you start trying to remove screws the whole frame cracks from the pressure of the screwdriver. Not fun at all!

gcunit

@DTMOF84 I bought the Carby adapter recently. Found a second-hand one for £45. Not only is it a non-destructive solution, I could sell it again if I ever wanted to and likely get my money back.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DTMOF84

@gcunit I really think I’ll grab one. I was partially excited about modding mine with the Pluto. But like you mentioned, not sure I want to go the destructive route. I’ll just swap the LED and call it modded.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Gamecuber

See, I’ve gone the opposite direction. I put older consoles (up to and including the Wii) into a CRT with RGB SCART connections. Look excellent as that is what they were designed for (though the Wii does look good through component on a modern TV). I will admit that I do have space for a CRT and a flatscreen next to each other, which other people may not have room for. The cube looks excellent using the RGB cable into a CRT tv.

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

‘…I traded it for a Pikachu’

gcunit

@DTMOF84 Not personally into the idea of LED swapping - orange is the original and best IMO - so I've not looked up a tutorial for how it's done. What colour/s are you gonna try? Please don't tell me you're going to put LEDs in the controller ports though

ThanosReXXX

@DTMOF84 I don't have a Carby, and currently, I've just installed all my GameCube games on my modded Wii, so I can play them over a component signal, but the Carby seems to be a pretty good mid-range solution, and it usually scores well in reviews. It seems to be the perfect solution for those that don't want to spend well over a hundred bucks, such as on the EON GCHD MkII, which is one of the more higher rated options, but the Carby definitely seems to be a good alternative.

@Zeldafan79 If all of the above options are too expensive for you, or if you'd like to buy several cables for various consoles, then going for one of the following three budget options might be the solution for you:

They don't have all the upscaling and/or image manipulation options of the more expensive solutions, so you can't expect the same results from them, but at least you'll be able to connect your retro consoles to a modern TV, and they do still yield pretty decent results.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Zeldafan79

@ThanosReXXX
Thanks I'll check those out! Maybe i can at least get better results than those old RCA cables I've been using. LOL I'm so behind the times. I honestly didn't know such a thing existed for retro consoles!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

ThanosReXXX

@Zeldafan79 You're welcome.
And not to worry: you'll definitely get better results, AND more ease of use from your older consoles.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zeldafan79

@ThanosReXXX
Sounds good to me! All this time i thought the only way to get a decent picture out of old systems was to use them on an old TV like what they were originally designed for. So i tried that and it just looked awful. Can't believe we used to game like that. I guess we didn't know any better in those days.

gcunit

Personally, as I think I've probably posted before in this thread, I find GameCube video display options to be a bit of an over-inflated topic. Admittedly, I've only been using mine on a 24" flat screen so maybe I'd have a different perspective if using a 50" monster.

But while I do notice the improvements between a SCART, a SCART RGB, and an HDMI via Carby, I do not find them hugely different. The main reason I went for a Carby in the end was just because I wanted to be able to play over HDMI so that I could use my existing HDMI capture card.

ThanosReXXX

@Zeldafan79 Well, the absolute bee's knees for retro gaming is to get your hands on a PVM or BVM (which stands for Professional Video Monitor or Professional Broadcast Monitor) screen, but I won't even bother you with the prices for those...

However, do keep those labels in mind, and if ever you find yourself in the lucky position to trip over one of them during a garage sale or whatever, then you should DEFINITELY buy one.

Here's a video about them (and about the benefits of gaming on CRT screens):

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Well, if it actually matters that little to you, then you could have also gone for one of those cheaper options that I listed, seeing as all of those also work fine with capture cards or HDMI through-puts.

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX Yeh, I knew that, but the added benefits of it being a well regarded solution, with additional options within the software, and the fact I found it 30% cheaper than new price, was enough to swing it for me.

1UP_MARIO

@gcunit if you are using a pal gamecube to get the best picture with the carby hdmi adapter you still must run it through SWiss to get a crispy 480p progressive scan. Swiss also lets you force 480p progressive scan on pal gamecube games.

30% cheaper than rrp for a carbi is a bargain.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Octane

20 years ago I played the GameCube on a crappy CRT TV, so whatever I'm playing it on today is huge upgrade regardless of what cables I use.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic