Forums

Topic: The N64 Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 269

Zuljaras

@1UP_MARIO Thank you. I him an email to ask few questions. The prices seem very reasonable.

Zuljaras

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras Glad I could help but it would be better played on a crt if you have space but are a rare thing to have in the house now in 2019

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean thank you from me

BlueOcean

@Lone_Beagle Nice! I am happy with mine, I still use it to play Diddy Kong Racing.

BlueOcean

RedderRugfish

Zuljaras wrote:

Aren't all N64 region locked without modding?

Technically yes, but depending on the region you'll have different levels of difficulty getting imports working.

Literally the only thing preventing Japanese games from playing in American consoles (and vice versa) is that the tabs cut into the bottom of the cartridges are different shapes. So if you cut a little bit of plastic out of the N64 cartridge slot then you can pop in either American or Japanese cartridges no problem.

With PAL it's a little bit harder. As far as I know there's no way to get past the region locking for PAL consoles or games without buying an adapter.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Lone_Beagle

@RedderRugfish Isn't the other issue with PAL also the difference in refresh rates between PAL vs. NTSC? So, gaming stuff can run too fast or too slow, due to the 50Hz vs. 60Hz difference between PAL & NTSC.

Lone_Beagle

Zuljaras

BlueOcean wrote:

Zuljaras wrote:

@1UP_MARIO Thank you.

Oh well.

Ahh sorry. THANK YOU for the help! It turns out my TV does not have such connections. I guess the RGB and the S-video are out.

Zuljaras

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras there is the scart to hdmi adapter or upscaler. You’ll find them on amazon/eBay but I’ve been unlucky with them. You can find some reviews on YouTube.

1UP_MARIO

@Lone_Beagle correct. Our pal Mario 64 runs at 25fps and ntsc run it at 30fps

Zuljaras

@1UP_MARIO Your guy told me that I need s-video N64 cable + hdmi converter. They are out of stock currently but he will send me an email in 2-3 weeks when they arrive.

Zuljaras

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras that’s good if he can sort it out.
It might be this one
Untitled

That one also upscales but they are usually 25 - 30 pounds on eBay/amazon

Hopefully enough time to find some good deals on games

BlueOcean

Zuljaras wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

Zuljaras wrote:

@1UP_MARIO Thank you.

Oh well.

Ahh sorry. THANK YOU for the help! It turns out my TV does not have such connections. I guess the RGB and the S-video are out.

Ha ha ha, OK! I only searched everything for you. No problem.

Zuljaras wrote:

@1UP_MARIO Your guy told me that I need s-video N64 cable + hdmi converter. They are out of stock currently but he will send me an email in 2-3 weeks when they arrive.

If you get that you still could have issues with a not modified PAL console. You haven't read the guide, have you? Not all PAL consoles have good S-video output. Just a warning.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@Zuljaras there is the scart to hdmi adapter or upscaler. You’ll find them on amazon/eBay but I’ve been unlucky with them. You can find some reviews on YouTube.

So you don't know about any worth getting and doesn't cost a fortune, right?

BlueOcean

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean I looked into various upscalers and hdmi adapters as I did connect it to my hdtv but then ended up keeping my crt. It’s the only way I feel n64 needs to be played. It looks great. I have 64 games on my Wii and Wii u virtual console but I get more satisfaction playing on actual hardware on a actual tv it was meant to be played on. Yes I’m a old fart 😉

BlueOcean

@1UP_MARIO No problem. It's just that I hope that the CRT TV doesn't die. It's big and it's in the living room but oh well, let's keep playing N64 like this, it reminds me of my childhood.

BlueOcean

RedderRugfish

Lone_Beagle wrote:

Isn't the other issue with PAL also the difference in refresh rates between PAL vs. NTSC? So, gaming stuff can run too fast or too slow, due to the 50Hz vs. 60Hz difference between PAL & NTSC.

No idea. As an American who doesn't really care about playing PAL games, I can't say I really know too much about how all that works.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic