Forums

Topic: The N64 Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 301

Banjo-

Zuljaras wrote:

Guys I need a professional advice. By professional I mean someone who know a lot about N64.

1. I look for PAL console since I am in Europe
2. I want to know what are the most common problems with the console? Is there heating problems (I do not think it has a fan).
3. Are there different models to consider? Best SKU?
4. Are there any noise factors to consider in the console?

Generally how to find the best N64 out there

Hello!

1. OK.
2. It doesn't have any heating problems at all. Only problem could be the controller stick that gets loose after heavy use.
3. https://www.retrorgb.com/n64.html
4. It's absolutely silent.

If you are interested in much better video quality or just curious, keep reading.

Until recently, the first PAL model (FRA) was the best to get because it is easy to hard-modify in order to get RGB video in a basically native way. However, now all versions of N64 can be modified for RGB. There are three possible scenarios:

A. Motherboard with BU9801 chip (usual in French consoles). This allows for an easier upgrade. You just need to install a high quality video amplifier. This model is also compatible with a boost RGB cable if your N64 is already "3 wires" modified.

B. Motherboard with RS5C282 or RS5C382 chip. More difficult to upgrade.

C. Motherboard with BU9906 chip. This is the most difficult to upgrade because the pins are closer.

You can get a N64 console and order this work done or you can get an upgraded N64 console like I did. Oh, you can do the work yourself if you are some kind of electronic welder.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean So the best possible way is to search in Ebay for modified console?

I saw that there is a adapter that you put the N64 cables in it and the HDMI to the TV. Like a AV to HDMI converter. How does that work?

Any tips and possible links for such consoles?

Banjo-

@Zuljaras The easiest way is to search an already modified console, yes. I bought mine on eBay.

Zuljaras wrote:

I saw that there is a adapter that you put the N64 cables in it and the HDMI to the TV. Like a AV to HDMI converter. How does that work?

If the console is not modified for RGB you are going to get a blurry composite video signal, no matter what device you plug into it! So no, don't get that.

You can find consoles that are modified for RGB and HDMI. My console is the first PAL model (FRA) and it doesn't have any HDMI modification, it has the RGB modification only. I use an official RGB cable.

Banjo-

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean From just the first look I saw moded N64 for 350$ and above! Damn that is expensive.

So the you play only with RGB cable. The original is AV cable right the 3 color cables?

Also if you do not mind sharing the name of the seller if it was from Europe.

Banjo-

Zuljaras wrote:

@BlueOcean From just the first look I saw moded N64 for 350$ and above! Damn that is expensive. So the you play only with RGB cable. The original is AV cable right the 3 color cables? Also if you do not mind sharing the name of the seller if it was from Europe.

Yes, I use the official RGB SCART cable (and a CRT TV) but none of the N64 consoles output RGB if they have not been modified.

The AV composite cable is the one that has three pins (red and white for audio and yellow for video) but, as I said, no matter what device or cable you plug into the console if it has not been modified for RGB.

Mine was not expensive, I bought it from eBay seller magictaker94 in 2014 and I gave him 5 stars but I don't know if he's still doing this work.

This is another link I can give you, they modify N64 consoles and also sell modified consoles:

https://www.otakus-store.net/en/37-nintendo-64

I would contact them and ask directly because it's not a big shop with many units available. Say what you want: RGB modification only, RGB and HDMI, RGB, HDMI and region-free... or ask prices for each.

https://www.otakus-store.net/en/contact-us

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

Zuljaras wrote:

@BlueOcean Unfortunately they are closed for the summer. But a bug plus is that they sell a N64 that is region free and works with ALL games

Btw do you think this would work on an unmodded N64?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-AV-to-HDMI-HD-TV-Converter-Compo...

It could be blurry but I would work?

With that thing you will be able to connect your N64 to a flat TV that doesn't have any analogue composite input but the signal will still be composite. Imagine how bad it can look on a big screen and also with a cheap analogue-digital converter like that! It's not worth it! You don't even have a N64 console so I strongly recommend you to not buy anything like that and get at least a RGB-modified console (mine was less than €100). If you have the money get a RGB-modified HDMI-ready and region-free console so you don't have to worry about connectors. That kind was not available when I got mine in 2014.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras I would recommend getting a ntsc 64 but if you want a standard n64 pal Europe. They do support s- video which is really close to rgb without modding the system however you might need a s video cable that’s modded

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Zuljaras

@1UP_MARIO Aren't all N64 region locked without modding?

I guess I have to do a research. The thing is that I want N64 that I could hook up to my TV and play some cartridges! Simple as that but I guess it is not straight forward

I am looking for guides on the net but nothing solid yet.

Banjo-

Zuljaras wrote:

I am looking for guides on the net but nothing solid yet.

Again, on this website you have more links to reliable sellers and people that modify consoles and information about every single option that you have. Read it. That's the guide that you need.

https://www.retrorgb.com/n64.html

@1UP_MARIO

Regarding S-Video, a few tips from that website:

All NTSC N64s output S-Video without a modification (most PAL consoles have issues with S-Video and some don’t work at all). While S-Video isn’t as good as RGB, it’s a huge step up over composite video.

Also, some versions of the N64 output much better composite and S-Video than others. This doesn’t effect RGB at all, but if you’re using S-Video, it’s worth checking out:

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras this is way you can buy a modded s video cable. I have used him in the past
http://consolegoods.co.uk/
Contact him direct email and he can give you a better price. @BlueOcean pal n64 has to be a modded s video cable to work but picture is way better than composite and looks nearly as good as rgb but way cheaper. Still rgb is great but does come with its cost

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras Glad I could help but it would be better played on a crt if you have space but are a rare thing to have in the house now in 2019

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean thank you from me

Banjo-

@Lone_Beagle Nice! I am happy with mine, I still use it to play Diddy Kong Racing.

Banjo-

Lone_Beagle

@RedderRugfish Isn't the other issue with PAL also the difference in refresh rates between PAL vs. NTSC? So, gaming stuff can run too fast or too slow, due to the 50Hz vs. 60Hz difference between PAL & NTSC.

Lone_Beagle

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic