Forums

Topic: The N64 Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 269

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Diddy Kong racing on DS is not quite in the same league as the original. It's a pretty decent game still, but in my personal opinion, the lack of an analog stick hurts it too much, if you've already played the original. Then again: if you never have, then it's probably more a matter of which version is more readily available and/or cheaper. And then there's personal preference such as wanting to have it on a portable console or not.

But if none of those things are an issue to you, then I'd say go for the N64 version. also more fun just in case you actually DO want to play against somebody else at some point, even if only a couple of times a year. At least you'll have the option readily available, unless you don't have any additional controllers...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Octane

@ReaderRagfihs I'm not one of those Smash players that swears by a GameCube controller. Heck, I'm used to the N64 controller itself, so any change is an improvement in my book. If the quality of the stick is as good as the stick on an official GameCube controller, I'll be happy. It's only a few bucks anyway, it doesn't hurt to try it, right? Plus, it gives me an excuse to order a couple of games with the stick.

Octane

Diddy64

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

On the topic of memory cards and battery saving, here's a list of which games use each save type http://www.micro-64.com/database/gamesave.shtml
Though some games like Wave Race 64 and Diddy Kong Racing let you copy your save to the memory card, so some are on multiple lists.

Thanks for sharing that link. I wondered why some of my 64 games sometimes lose their save files without any reason. It was because their cart batteries was starting to get low.

Undergoing games: Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy VII, Spyro The Dragon (Reignited Trilogy).

RedderRugfish

@SamusLv7 The official memory cards use batteries too. You can use Dex Drive to transfer save files from a memory card (and cartridge, if you have a Gameshark) to and from PC. Only problem is that it plugs into a serial port, which computers mostly stopped having once Windows XP came around.

@Octane Yeah, I imagine it'll at least be better than a super worn down official stick. And it's a very easy installation, N64 controllers are one of the few Nintendo products to use normal screws instead of weird security screws/triwings.

@gcunit If you aren't planning on multiplayer, then that would probably decrease the amount of games worth getting. N64 is still the king of local 4 player in my eyes, and there are some great games like Mario Kart 64 that are only really worth playing with 3 or 4 people.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

RedderRugfish

I just did the analog stick repair in the video I posted earlier. The results turned out great! Before, it was loose, had a bit of a dead zone, and you could feel it grind against something when moving it. After, there is practically zero dead zone and it moves incredibly smoothly. Took some patience to get everything cut and sanded just right, but the results were well worth the effort.

Haven't tested it extensively yet, but spent about an hour playing games like Perfect Dark, F Zero X, Super Mario 64, and Diddy Kong Racing. It's very precise, just the right sensitivity, and smooth as butter. I definitely plan on doing this to all of my other controllers tomorrow!

BlueOcean

SamusLv7 wrote:

@BlueOcean have you wanted to make a 3D platformer game? Who knows, maybe you can create a game that can finally rival BK.

A team including people like you and me could!

At least, when you grow up playing, loving and understanding what made those games so amazing you at least have an idea about what not to do. I think many of the new talents in, say, Nintendo, didn't get it right in Super Mario Odyssey compared to Super Mario 64 or Sunshine. Yooka-Laylee didn't have Banjo-Kazooie's designer and the result while not bad wasn't amazing. One of my favourite examples although not a 3D game is New Super Mario Bros. 2 which is, in my opinion, the most disappointing Mario game ever. Nintendo said that a new team that knew what made Mario fun made it. Well, they obviously don't have a clue. I think that it's good to hire new people but if the new people don't know how to do something at least as good then you are not hiring the right people... the good talents.

Anyway, I am happy that the 3D platformer genre survived eventually because last generation it was almost dead and this generation seems to be appreciated again. Mario, Sonic (yeah, Sonic Forces is kind of bad but still), Crash (better than I expected), Spyro (same), Yooka-Laylee, Ratchet & Clank (more action than platformer though)... The only one yet to come back is Banjo so Microsoft please do something about it.

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

My two cents about N64. I had a regular PAL system back in the day. Some PAL (Europe and Australia) games are awful compared to the NTSC version (US and Japan). Super Mario 64 is the best example and I only realised when playing the NTSC version on Wii U (that I soft-modded so I could remove the dark filter of the Virtual Console, Google it if interested). I have to say that other PAL games are good (so it depends on the games that you want to play on N64.

A few years ago I bought a modded French N64 because only a few N64 consoles were RGB-capable natively by soldering a few pins, only the first units made for Europe and that happens to be the first French model. Other models can be modified to output RGB but it's a more complicated process because Nintendo was cheap (as usually) and after these units they cut the RGB capabilities that were originally designed. RGB means sharper image and better colours. I wasn't happy with composite even though I still have a CRT TV just for it but RGB is much better. Of course, the best-looking versions are the Rare Replay versions. If you have the chance look how well the N64 games look on that. Higher resolution, great colour balance and brightness and gorgeous on a newer TV, not to mention the smoother frame rate.

Considering Rare Replay and the excellent 3DS versions of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (I really think these two are better than on any N64 or Virtual Console) and even Star Fox 64 3D, the only two games I still play on N64 are Goldeneye 007 and Diddy Kong Racing. Both games have some frame rate issues but the Wii reboot (it's not a remake) of Goldeneye 007 is not nearly as good as Rare's game and the DS version of Diddy Kong Racing is a watered-down port. Besides, Diddy Kong Racing is considered by many people (myself included) the best kart racer ever made and has a great adventure mode.

I agree about the Rumble Pak, it's a must-have if you have a N64 console. I also would like to say that I have save files of Diddy Kong Racing on both the cartridge and a memory pak but if I don't think that you can copy the Goldeneye save files to it. I would love both games to be remade, they are such wonderful games. There is a guy remaking Goldeneye 007 (the campaign has never been remade) so I hope that he finishes it someday. Of course it's unofficial but note that Nintendo's publishing rights of Goldeneye 007 expired in 2017 (the copyright is still owned by MGM and Rare). Diddy Kong Racing is up to Nintendo and Microsoft wanting to cooperate because Rare owns some characters and Nintendo owns others including Diddy. They did it once on DS so I wouldn't rule it out.

I still have two original N64 controllers with tight sticks so I can't comment on fixing them but I have tried a N64 controller with a loose stick and the difference is really noticeable.

BlueOcean

Diddy64

BlueOcean wrote:

SamusLv7 wrote:

@BlueOcean have you wanted to make a 3D platformer game? Who knows, maybe you can create a game that can finally rival BK.

A team including people like you and me could!

At least, when you grow up playing, loving and understanding what made those games so amazing you at least have an idea about what not to do. I think many of the new talents in, say, Nintendo, didn't get it right in Super Mario Odyssey compared to Super Mario 64 or Sunshine. Yooka-Laylee didn't have Banjo-Kazooie's designer and the result while not bad wasn't amazing. One of my favourite examples although not a 3D game is New Super Mario Bros. 2 which is, in my opinion, the most disappointing Mario game ever. Nintendo said that a new team that knew what made Mario fun made it. Well, they obviously don't have a clue. I think that it's good to hire new people but if the new people don't know how to do something at least as good then you are not hiring the right people... the good talents.

Anyway, I am happy that the 3D platformer genre survived eventually because last generation it was almost dead and this generation seems to be appreciated again. Mario, Sonic (yeah, Sonic Forces is kind of bad but still), Crash (better than I expected), Spyro (same), Yooka-Laylee, Ratchet & Clank (more action than platformer though)... The only one yet to come back is Banjo so Microsoft please do something about it.

@BlueOcean I could also see that with Odyssey. If they had focused more on filling every area of each world with coins, red coins, purple coins, Power Moons and more detailed structures like the mountain of King Bob-Bomb or the hidden area of Hazy Maze Cave, it would have equaled or perhaps surpassed Super Mario 64. I also saw a video from a youtuber called Snowman Gaming that explained many things using Banjo Kazooie as an example of good game design. Each thing that he said was on point.

As for making a team about a 3D platformer, it certainly is something that I would love to do with people like us that understands what makes the 64/PS1 3D platformers so fantastic. ūüėä

By the way, how are the 64 Turok games that will be released soon on the Nintendo Switch? I heard that they are the remakes of the ones on PC, but I never played them back in the day, so I know almost next to nothing about these games. The only one that I played was the PS2 Turok game and it was in multiplayer.

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games: Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy VII, Spyro The Dragon (Reignited Trilogy).

BlueOcean

@SamusLv7 I only played Turok 1 a little while on my friend's N64 but can't remember much except that it looked good (at the time) and the fog. It seems that people loved the setting and the weapons of Turok and Turok 2 but I can't say much else, someone else could. The first and second games, apparently the best ones, are available on Xbox One (as remasters?) but I haven't got them.

The Super Mario Odyssey engine is really smooth, I'm not a fan of the motion controls in a game like this and I hated it in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 but who would say no to Super Mario 64 remade like that or like Ocarina of Time 3D (a bit late for a 3DS remake, unfortunately) or a true sequel and not Odyssey.

I think that I watched his video comparing Banjo-Kazooie and Yooka-Laylee explaining why Yooka-Laylee isn't that great and the arguments are rock-solid. I'll search the video talking about Odyssey!

BlueOcean

RedderRugfish

I was super hyped back in 2012 or so when I first heard of the "Mingy Jongo project" as it was originally called. It was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Banjo made by many of the original staff. It didn't really go anywhere for years and was even cancelled at one point, but eventually it became Yooka Laylee. Unfortunately, my nostalgia had kind of worn off by that point and I never played it.

I will say though that many of the criticisms I heard about the game were also true about the original games, and many reviews complained that it was too similar to the old games when that was exactly the point. Again, I've never played it, so I don't really know if it's actually worse than the old games or if people were just expecting something completely different.

Diddy64

@BlueOcean @ReaderRagfihs I haven't yet played Yooka-Laylee, but have watched a few youtube videos about the gameplay, some youtube walkthroughs, ect. to know that I will definitely buy it. I hope that Platonic is either developing a sequel of Yooka-Laylee or miraculously being put in charge of Donkey Kong by Nintendo because currently no one is handling this franchise.

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfihs If you don't want to play it you need to watch that video, it explains exactly why your belief is wrong. Yooka-Laylee is not bad but Banjo-Kazooie is still much better for many reasons that are well explained in the video... and I would add more.

Video:

BlueOcean

Mordridakon

I just ordered 2 of the worst games for the n64: superman 64 and Mortal Kombat Mythologies sub zero. I own the best, might as well own some of the worst!

Mordridakon

RedderRugfish

@Mordridakon I don't really own any bad N64 games. The fact that my least favorite game on the system is Rogue Squadron speaks for itself.

KingMike

Buying the few "RPGs" on the N64 meant buying Aidyn Chronicles and Quest 64 (I ended up even buying its Japanese counterpart, Eltale Monsters, after hearing it was slightly better somehow).

Do not know if it is good or bad but the cheapest N64 games I had bought (the basically "just pay for shipping" prices onlines ) were Lode Runner 64 and Japanese Pokemon Stadium 1 (which I hear is basically useless without a GB Transfer Pak, which I don't have, and a Japanese Gen 1 game, which I have, with a save file of good progress, which I don't have ).

KingMike

RedderRugfish

@KingMike The transfer pak is well worth it if you play Pokemon/Mario Golf/Mario Tennis on both Gameboy and N64. It's worthless otherwise.

As for good RPGs, you basically only get Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64. Though both of which are fantastic games.

KingMike

Looking through the entire N64 library, the only things maybe approaching RPGs besides those were in the Japanese library are a game called Zool which has far too much text for my brain to process (I assume is unrelated to the Amiga '90s platformer of the same name) and maybe Custom Robo 1 and 2 but I didn't play enough of them to decide if they qualify (though I have the two localized games sitting around in the backlog, and LBX for 3DS which feels like a Level 5 knockoff of CR from the bit of it I played).

KingMike

Diddy64

I remember that I played and beat Custom Robo Arena (DS), and I enjoyed it a lot, with the exception of final boss which was almost impossible for me but eventually I beat it. So I hope that Nintendo one day localize Custom Robo 1 and 2 to put them in the Switch Online Service (and hopefully also in e-shop, which would make them earn more money).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic