Retro Forum

Topic: The Retro Dungeon of Halloween Horrors!

Showing 101 to 120 of 247

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

101. Posted:

@Happy_Mask
Some of the areas design wise are so flippin' repetitive that you're bound to get completely lost sooner or later, unless you draw a map out as you go.
It's been working woders for me, that is until i screwed up towards the end. :p I'm still not ready to face off against Kraid yet, I'm guessing I nead the Wave beam...because trying to take him out with the Ice beam is a complete Freddy Krueger Nightmare considering there's so much going on 'on screen', if you get nailed by either his needles or his boomeranges and slip into that pit it's 'game over'.

There's nothing worse than wasting 15 minutes stalking up on Health & missles from that little reSpawning fly outside Kraids door to then finally go toe to toe with Kraidy himself and instantly getting hit and falling into the right corner death pit.lol You know what else i love? How his boomerangs can still hit you when you're walking out of the room OR when you walk in the room and again his boomerangs instantly hit you and you can't move out of the way. Cheap Lazy epic dated game design hehe.

Anyways! The latest upgrade i've gotten is the ScrewAttack and i've stocked up on tons missles. I've been playing Metroid for 5-6 hours with breaks in between. :o I Never game this long, But this mind melting bounty hunting alien romp in Zebes is ultra Addicting. Oh and i still haven't come across Ridley, where in the hell is he?

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Happy_Mask

102. Posted:

Maybe you shoulda just used NARPAS SWORD. :D

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage

Emaan

103. Posted:

@Wavey, you need the Varia suit to actually stand a chance against the bosses. :o

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

Ryno

104. Posted:

@Wave: Ok, I am going to give you some very minor hints. Don't read further if you don't want any suggestions. Forget about Kraid and go after Ridley. He's waiting for you down in Norfair. Also, load up on missles for the bosses, you need them. The wave beam is pointless in this game.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

105. Posted:

@Happy_Maskula & @Emaany
Forget that 'Narpas Password' I only 'cheat' on girl friends. :p Kidding aside.
Looking at the manual it seems like the only 2 upgrades i dont' have are the Varia suit and Wave beam.

@Master_Rytroid
Thanks for the tiny little hint, i dread the thought of going online and spoiling the game for myself. If i look 'up' where the Viara suit is or exactly where Ridley is located i'd feel like i would ruin part of the experience. :p Looks like I'll be taking out Kraid afterwards with my Ice Beam. eek! The ScrewAttack will definitly come in handy though when blazing through those mid-air boomerangs without taking any damage. Anyways, Loving Metroid so far. But with the inclusion of a map this game would of been all the more amazing, but it is what it is. Metroid II doesn't have a map either no? Nintendo you're killing me!

Oh, and the openging Title theme totaly sets the mood...Especially in the beginning. A standout chip tune indeed. B-)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Emaan

106. Posted:

Hint hint: the wave beam is really useful against Ridley ;)

This thread should be renamed, The Wavey dungeon of Metroid horrors!

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

107. Posted:

@Emaan
Ridley is a complete push over. All you have to do is just freeze his bouncing swarm of balls(lol), hop over them and keep blasting him in the face with your Missles, until the balls un-freeze. Keep doing the same thing over again and Ridley will sooner or later bite the Pterodactyl Dust! Oh and....I just beat the game! :D Kraid got his butt whooped. The best tactic against him is to freeze his top and middle needles/missles and keep blasting him near the top of his head with your missles while doing little jumps over his bottom incoming needle that will shoot out every 5 seconds. If you can keep this up, then he's Alien Fish food and you are the ultimate stud on Elm Street. B-) Alf would be proud.

But yeah....i couldn't wait to get out of Norfair, that place was a hell hole to the mondo megath' degree. I don't know how many bloody times i got stuck down there...I also never ended up finding the Wave Beam or Viara suit sadly. Plus i hear there's '8' Energy tanks, where as i got 6 instead and i think i missed 1 missle expansion back down in Norfair as well. Whatever...There's absolutely no way i'm going through it all again....:p

Mother Brain(Sorry, I prefered the Big lipped' Tranny cartoon version in Captain N. :p )

1:00 - 3:00 :p
-however is easily one of the greatest final 8-bit bosses i've enountered. It had me on the edge of my silly seat. And thank god i drew my own map as i gradually progressed, otherwise I wouldn't of finished the game, at least not yet....But yup! What can I say, I'm a complete 2D metroid NesterNooby. Many gamers never experienced the original, or they instead started out with Super Metroid or the other later 2D entries in the franchise. In that case, for them playing the original would be a complete downgrade. For me, like i've mentioned before when i was a Toobular Totty' i rented Metroid back on the NES at my local video store and gave it maybe 30 minutes of game time. Still, i remember that little experience back in 89' like it were yeserday.Where as I barely went hands on with 'Super' Metroid(which blew me away) during it's release and instead watched my best bud play it every now and then. SO, with that said, 'Metroid' felt completely FRESH to me aisde from the first 10 minutes. I wasn't getting a stripped down experience because i haven't experienced the Superior 'later' entries in the franchise and I'm happy I didn't skip the original because now I'm going to appreciate Super Metroid, or even the improvements made in II:Return of Samus all the more. I'll get that amazing 8-16 bit Next Generation transition, which is extremely exciting...Instead of being a total goober head and completely skipping the original that started it all... Had i started with Super Metroid, i wouldn't appreciate the original whatsoever. There would be 'no' transition since Fusion and Zero mission that came afterwards are also 16-bit like Super M.

Giant wave of Blabbing-Text aside....Whenever i get my Metroid on again, should i jump into Metroid II Return of
Samus for the GB on the 3DS's VC, or go for Super Metroid on the Wii's VC?

I do want to play the 2D releases in order, so it's probably just best off I go with II: Return of Samus Oh great....Another mapless Metroid. :p Anyways, all in all Metroid was a great experience. not perfect....Ahem, needed a map and it was annoying how you couldn't dodge certain enemies/attacks when you entered certain rooms and then there's the brillaint Acid/Lava death traps. :p I'd 8/10 it easy. Loved it! B-)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Emaan

108. Posted:

The final battle with Mother Brain + escaping Zebes was a major heart thumper. :p
I was besides myself in anxiety. :O

Good for you Wavey! You did it!

Medal Awarded: Wave-TheMetroidKiller

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

109. Posted:

Remember how I said I was going to beat Resident Evil 2? I said I would even start at e beginning of the month instead of Halloween day? Still didn't beat it. :O Made it to the sewers and never touched it again... lol curse you Pokemon

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Ryno

110. Posted:

Time to dust the old cob webs of this thread again. What spooktacular (overused phrase I know) monster filled retro games are you guys playing this Halloween season? Will you be hiding under the bed this month or are you legend and willing to take take on the retro terrors that have haunted many gamers of the past?

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

111. Posted:

There's no better time than October to play some Castlevania. I'll probably test my luck against Bloodlines and IV this month.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

112. Posted:

I only have a 3DS to play Retro games on so right now i'll be playing

Avenging Spirit
Vampire Master of Darkness
Castlevaina
Castlevaina the adventure
Gargoyle's Quest

I might play Metroid II, but that has become my Thanksgiving game. Xbox Live should be having their yearly horror sale so I'll try to pick up some of the older resident Evil Games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Ryno

113. Posted:

@CapnPancakes: Super Castlevania IV is one of my favorite games. You should have no problem with it especially after Castlevania (NES). Bloodlines is great too, the 2 different characters is a nice touch.

@Sony_70: I would suggest Gargoyle's Quest as priority # 1. The Gargoyles Quest Trilogy games are all great, Capcom needs to release Gargoyle's Quest II: Demon Darkness and Demon's Crest on the Wii U VC this month.

My retro horror game for the month is going to be Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (and ZombiU though not retro)

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

114. Posted:

@Ryno
I've heard great things about Super Castlevania IV, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing it myself. I might play Harmony of Dissonance as well, but we'll have to see about that.

Depending on my mood, I may also try to play through Castlevania III again. I was almost at the final level the last time I played it, but the save data got corrupted. Needless to say, I haven't touched it since.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

115. Posted:

@Ryno

I've been wanting to play it for a while and decided to wait till October.

On the modern side I guess I'll replay Alan Wake, The Walking Dead, and finish up Bioshock.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Ryno

116. Posted:

@CapnPancakes: You could probably find a password online for the level you were at and with whatever character you had in case you did not want to start over.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

117. Posted:

I'm a little late to the RetroSpook party i see, which i'll be all over in the next couple of days and onwards. Time to give my little Avy a Halloween Makeover. Last year it was WaveWitch which was a vintage crowd favorite(Which for some crazy reason has completely vanished from my Photobucket channel), what shall i create in my Laboratory of Wizards & Pixels this year? You shall see in a day or two muhahahaha. ;)

Untitled

Here's a sneak peak at my smelly ghoulish Uncle Fester 'n Fart riddled Halloween grave yard gaming line up > B-)
Untitled

1.Super Metroid - (I defeated the NES original last Halloween, now I'm going SUPER) B-)
2. Friday the 13th (NES) - I HAVE to beat this...I must, i must! I'm going to stick Jason Vorhees mother's head on a Camp Crystal cob!
3. Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon - I virtual mansion in stereoscopic 3D starring NintenGhosts & a terrified wobbly lean & green italian Plumbing(er, Vacuming?) machine? yes please!
4. A Boy and his blob (Wii) - .Shall be.....Blobbalicious. :*
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - (The Black sheep, or monkey. tee hee. Doesn't fit in, but i need to get on this!)

Until then, my putrid boils & bogus brats i must finish my final day of unpacking so i can finally get off this busy & terrible NintendoLife/gaming break i've currently been on. :p Happy October Halloween!

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

118. Posted:

Retro? Halloween? Is it really that time again!?!??! :D
You know what October 1st means! Cinnemasacre's ...MOOOONSTER MADNESSS!!! :D :D :D

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

119. Posted:

I'm thinking of playing Resident Evil 4, REMake, Eternal Darkness, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Disgaea, and maybe something else starting the 19th. I can't wait.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

120. Posted:

As far as games go, screw it. I'm not gonna bother with Resident Evil 2 this year. u_u ...I'll just be playing Pokemon Y every second of this month...

My Colors! 3D Gallery