Retro Forum

Topic: 16-Bit Consoles Discussion

Showing 101 to 120 of 182

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mk_II

101. Posted:

it's quite simple really... i've got a lot of retro consoles and after all is said and done, it's all down to the games. The SNES library of games is much bigger, more diverse and of higher quality, most notably the first-party titles. People still play those games, thats the reason they are still cherished and valuable.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code 0731-4737-4010 AC:NL Dream Code 7600-2509-4051 Animal Crossing Blog

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

102. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

And this I'm just going to write off as fanboyism. I don't know how you could label either system from that time as "just meh" and price is your justification as to why. And it's not that Genesis needed those add-ons Sega has just always tried to push the envelope and do but more only problem is they try to do it too soon when the technology isnt there yet.

Oh jeez, I can label the Genesis however I want too because I remember experiencing the 4th video game generation and I also currently have a Genesis and multiple games. A lot of things make up price, including perceived market value.

So I assuming by that statement you think I dont remember the 16-bit era? Because to answer that, yes I remember it very well, I remember the day I got my Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. But at this point Im writing this off as being too much of an up hill battle due to it being on a Nintendo fan site after all.

I don't know much about you other than you like the Genesis over the SNES and that you like the Buffalo Bills. So what do you say we call a truce and leave it at the fact you like the Genesis more and I like the SNES more but we still like the other systems though just not as much? :)

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

103. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

And this I'm just going to write off as fanboyism. I don't know how you could label either system from that time as "just meh" and price is your justification as to why. And it's not that Genesis needed those add-ons Sega has just always tried to push the envelope and do but more only problem is they try to do it too soon when the technology isnt there yet.

Oh jeez, I can label the Genesis however I want too because I remember experiencing the 4th video game generation and I also currently have a Genesis and multiple games. A lot of things make up price, including perceived market value.

So I assuming by that statement you think I dont remember the 16-bit era? Because to answer that, yes I remember it very well, I remember the day I got my Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog. But at this point Im writing this off as being too much of an up hill battle due to it being on a Nintendo fan site after all.

I don't know much about you other than you like the Genesis over the SNES and that you like the Buffalo Bills. So what do you say we call a truce and leave it at the fact you like the Genesis more and I like the SNES more but we still like the other systems though just not as much? :)

As I said before. I think its just whatever you grew up having at that time and thats where the preferences will be found.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

104. Posted:

i still use my genesis to scare kids on halloween. SNES, all the way >: D

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

105. Posted:

lol oh man, boy is it great to have this good ol retro fashioned Nintendo Vs Sega trash talk again. :D
I remember very clearly getting a genesis when it was hot off the Punk B press with Castle of illusion. And even then, in no way shape or form did that title(which was still pretty good) or my 1st time genesis experience overall compare to my 1st time SMB/Duck Hunt 'NES' experience OR SNES experience with Super Mario World. Sonic left me feeling miserable(it cost about $120 during it's release) as most of the other titles did during the time....I would of been absolutely fine had i completely missed out on the genesis and just went full on with the SNES. Looking back, i honestly didn't have one single amazing memory with that console. Getting Streets of Rage with a 2nd controller at a sega packed event-like toy store where everything was splashed with a black and red-ish color scheme, while people were scattered everywhere and chatting it up.The energy was just so upbeat...Mullets were the norm, and boy was it a sega storm. :p

It was pretty ace and the game itself was a very good beat em' up...But man, not a single genny title had the same impact on me the way most NES and SNES games did.

Part of me also wished i passed on the Saturn, and missed out on the PS1 launch(Which was awesome btw!) before i played the N64. THEN that magical and groundbreaking fully 3D step would of been far more fresh and exciting.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

106. Posted:

The nostalgia is thick in this thread.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

107. Posted:

But you see if you were even alive, or at a decent enough age to have experienced both consoles in their prime time than maybe you'd understand the impact they had in the gaming industry. Somebody playing super mario world for the first time in this day and age or even the PS2 era will NOT get the same experience had they played it in the early 90's considering were in a completely different era and all the way up to the XBOX 3Shnizzle.lol But alas, the younger generation love to use the "rose tinted glasses' bs, possibly because they're butt hurt they never got to live through those times and they're bitter about it. Overall, they'll never know what it was like in combination to how amazing the late 80's and early 90's truly were outside of gaming.

The 8-16 bit transition was something truly special, you possibly couldn't understand unless you were there to experience it.
But in the genesis's case, that transition wasn't all that special to me. I was both an SNES & Sega kid during that generation, and to each their own but the SNES complryrly blew it out of the water imo....I wouldn't admit it at first because i was a bit of a sega fan boy at that point, but the SNES quickly won me over do to my friend getting it at launch and those brilliant memories regarding those magical titles still hold up perfectly today.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chuie

108. Posted:

to me i prefered the genesis over the snes but it won one cause it was my first console along with the saturn i love sonic so much vectorman best underated 16 bit game ever street of rage always fun splatterhouse was really fun toejam and earl was fun i loved earthworm jim on the genesis and clayfighters was fun
but i do love the snes just not as much but everyone has a opinion ;)

3DS FC:1332-8177-3517 currently playing:Tales of xillia (2nd playthrough) BIG TALES OF FAN! BIG SONIC FAN! lloyd x sheena yuri x judith
PSN ID:Bioshock1313
youtube:ChuieTheUmbreon my new channel
i was mieu-fire

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

109. Posted:

The Genesis definitly seemed like the better fit for horor games like Splatterhouse 2 and the like, since the synthasized gritty and demonic sounding muffled sound chip created some spooky and chilling atmosphere. Then again, the SNES did wonders with Super Castlevania IV. B-)

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

110. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

But you see if you were even alive, or at a decent enough age to have experienced both consoles in their prime time than maybe you'd understand the impact they had in the gaming industry.

I wouldn't give a crap even if I did. It's all about how good the games are man.

The Genesis has a lot more games that I liked. The SNES barely had 10 games I liked that weren't stuck in Japan - U.N. Squadron, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Demon's Crest, Breath of Fire II, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, ActRaiser, Secret of Evermore, and Chrono Trigger. I've got over 50 Genesis games that I've enjoyed, and most of them I never played as a kid. No nostalgia, just the type of games I enjoy.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

111. Posted:

the streets of rage series is the best beat em up series period.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

112. Posted:

I liked all the cool anime/manga style games that the Megadrive had in the truckloads along with the best movie licenced gems and the greatest sports gold of the 16bit era ;) also the Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series holds up the belt of epicness :) you just can't beat that SEGA feeling :P

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

113. Posted:

picking up an a**load( 7 ) of SNES games on october 1st! i ordered them all at once. as soon as i get them, PROFITS >: D (if you catch my drift)

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

114. Posted:

genesis really doesn't do it for me. the color pallette is so small compared to the SNES. and it's so... dull. snes is super colorful, bright, and shiny! genesis colors look washed out and ugly to me...

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cyb3Rnite

115. Posted:

I dug out my old SNES from the closet last month. Still works.
No, I'm not too young for the SNES. I'm already 13 :/

"I've learned to fear the white lady. She does not gain power. Instead, she destroys yours."

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

116. Posted:

sushifreAk wrote:

I dug out my old SNES from the closet last month. Still works.
No, I'm not too young for the SNES. I'm already 13 :/

you should put your new consoles where the old ones were B-)

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cyb3Rnite

117. Posted:

I would if I had some new games for it. Now all I have working is MK2, DKC, Super Mario All-Stars and NBA Jam. Not a big fan of basketball, but Jam is fun.

"I've learned to fear the white lady. She does not gain power. Instead, she destroys yours."

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

118. Posted:

why would you play a sports game when you could just go out and play that sport? that's why i dont play sports games, and also why i dont have a genesis

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

119. Posted:

What is the best kirby game on SNES?

Backloggery. Now playing: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Golden Sun, Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Pokemon HeartGold Version, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, and Super Mario Advance.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

120. Posted:

remember: when you play NES, you're playing with POWER. when you play Gameboy, you're playing with PORTABLE POWER. when you play SNES you're playing with SUPER POWER. when you play N64, you're playing with ULTRA POWER!
Nintendo > Sega

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12