Retro Forum

Topic: 16-Bit Consoles Discussion

Showing 1 to 20 of 182

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

1. Posted:

Ever since I saw:

(NSFW, unless you're familiar with AVGN.)

Part 1:

Part 2:

I've wondered what people, at least on here, think about which console is more prefferable/better, whether it's the gameplay, music, storyline, preference, or graphics.

I myself am aware about pretty much every first/second-party SNES game there is, i've played half of them and liked every one of them at the least.

With Genesis, the only games i've owned are the ones on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. But out of the ones I tried, they were also pretty good.

Also, I avoided making this a "Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis" forum, because it would just get locked and get re-directed to this forum i'm now aware of:

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/this_or...

But besides, even if it didn't exist and asked the question above, I feel I would just get simple answers, which is why I made this a more open topic, you could even talk about the TurboGrafx-16 for the people who've experienced that, but that console isn't as widely known as the other 2 though.

What are your thoughts?

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

2. Posted:

the 16 bit war was actually world war 3, i was there and lived through it all. i got discharged from duty because i fought for both sides.

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

3. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

the 16 bit war was actually world war 3, i was there and lived through it all. i got discharged from duty because i fought for both sides.

What games did you "recruit"?

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

4. Posted:

Electricmastro wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

the 16 bit war was actually world war 3, i was there and lived through it all. i got discharged from duty because i fought for both sides.

[/div]

What games did you "recruit"?

all of them, only if you knew what kind of harsh penalties i had for getting caught importing video games. oh the flashbacks! make it stop!

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Marios-love-child

5. Posted:

Firstly I absolutely love AVGN, I've sat and watched all the episodes (107 I believe at the time of typing). Over here in the UK not many people know of him, certainly no one I know in reality away from online forums like this one etc.

I would have to got for the SNES for the simple reason that it was the one that I owned.

For a lot of kids of that era it will be down to the choice their parents made for them, if on Christmas day 1993 you got a SNES you would be a mario fan for years to come and would probablŷ hate all things SEGA. On the other hand if your parents bought you a Megadrive / Genisis you would probably be the opposite.

Marios-love-child

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

6. Posted:

Rated_R_Superstar wrote:

Firstly I absolutely love AVGN, I've sat and watched all the episodes (107 I believe at the time of typing). Over here in the UK not many people know of him, certainly no one I know in reality away from online forums like this one etc.

I would have to got for the SNES for the simple reason that it was the one that I owned.

For a lot of kids of that era it will be down to the choice their parents made for them, if on Christmas day 1993 you got a SNES you would be a mario fan for years to come and would probablŷ hate all things SEGA. On the other hand if your parents bought you a Megadrive / Genisis you would probably be the opposite.

I've never he never really this in his 10 most recent episodes, but that's just me.

Then I bet the ones with a TurboGrafx-16 would hate both?

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Marios-love-child

7. Posted:

Electricmastro wrote:

Rated_R_Superstar wrote:

Firstly I absolutely love AVGN, I've sat and watched all the episodes (107 I believe at the time of typing). Over here in the UK not many people know of him, certainly no one I know in reality away from online forums like this one etc.

I would have to got for the SNES for the simple reason that it was the one that I owned.

For a lot of kids of that era it will be down to the choice their parents made for them, if on Christmas day 1993 you got a SNES you would be a mario fan for years to come and would probablŷ hate all things SEGA. On the other hand if your parents bought you a Megadrive / Genisis you would probably be the opposite.

[/div]

I've never he never really this in his 10 most recent episodes, but that's just me.

Then I bet the ones with a TurboGrafx-16 would hate both?

I guess so lol.

Like I say for a lot of people it will down to how old they where at the time and which console their parents bought for them. It different nowadays for me at least because i have to buy them myself and I make my own choices :-)

Marios-love-child

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jamouse

8. Posted:

SNES had Squaresoft. End of story.

Jamouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Trill281

9. Posted:

good video enjoyed it...

Lets All Keep It "TRILL"...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

10. Posted:

I was always a Sega type till they announced no more consoles so I give my tip of the hat to the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

11. Posted:

Yeah I got the Megadrive/CD/32X so I had a fairly diverse selection of software to grind through thats for sure. I also grabbed a SNES to get the best of both worlds but I loved my GenesisMegaCDX better ;) I preferred Sonic over Mario and Phantasy Star over Final Fantasy and 32X Doom and Exhumed were pretty sweet FPS :) I wish I never sold the beast.

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

12. Posted:

And honestly I feel all this comes down to whatever you owned...if you were old enough to be part of that era since I know some weren't. But there's never been a gaming rivalry like it

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

13. Posted:

i was around 10, 11-ish when the sega/nintendo 16 bit wars took place. the rivalry was heated at times but back then we had characters in the likes of mario and sonic to compare to and games to contest with. rather than state-of-the art graphics.

and the likes of capcom, sega, konami had great games out too, unlike today.

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

14. Posted:

misswliu81 wrote:

i was around 10, 11-ish when the sega/nintendo 16 bit wars took place. the rivalry was heated at times but back then we had characters in the likes of mario and sonic to compare to and games to contest with. rather than state-of-the art graphics.

and the likes of capcom, sega, konami had great games out too, unlike today.

Though I was born in 1996 and could have easily slipped into a "non-nintendo" personality, i'm thankful I didn't, in fact, I actually grew up with a Game Boy in 2005 (yeah), then a Game Boy Advance, and then a DS Lite, until I got an Xbox in 2009, I played games like Grand Theft Auto IV or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for awhile (though I do like to play more of Collection), but then got a Wii in 2010, then a 3DS in 2011. While I do revisit my Xbox 360 sometimes, (Banjo-Kazooie ftw), I still liked Nintendo since they seem to have many genres to interact well with.

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

15. Posted:

Jamouse wrote:

SNES had Squaresoft. End of story.

Squaresoft is so awesome, it's hard for me to say which is better, Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI.

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JohnPhilipSousa

16. Posted:

I prefer the Genesis. I believe that I am less biased as I grew up with neither of the two, and while I love both, Genesis is the only one I bought of the two, as most of the great Genesis games were the low profile games that would never get put on VC. I guess I just like SEGA better.

JohnPhilipSousa

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7508-7026 | Nintendo Network ID: JohnPhilipSousa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

17. Posted:

I had both systems growing up and still have them to this day. I cant say which one is better cause I think each one are better in different categories. I liked SNES cause of its library of RPGs such as Earthbound, Final Fantasy II & III and Chrono Trigger. Not to mention their Arcade ports of games Street Fighter and Smash TV.

As for Genesis I liked their sports library better than the SNES and of course their version of Mortal Kombat was waaaay better than the SNES one.

As for first party games like Sonic and Mario both were equal on my terms since they played a bit different so it was that reason that I liked both of them.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DeMoN-13ruce

18. Posted:

super mario world is the best mario game i ever played its 16 bit right?

3DS Friend Code: 2879-0303-7697
Metal Gear Solid (rising etc)

Best game series i ever played:D

BIGG BOSS (Naked Snake) is my favorite game character of all time!

GANGNAM STYLE!!!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chuie

19. Posted:

i love the snes i was amazing had all the great rpgs i loved but i love the GENESIS MORE :D :D it had better games with sonic vectorman street of rage and lots more genesis over all was the better system

3DS FC:1332-8177-3517 currently playing:Tales of xillia (2nd playthrough) BIG TALES OF FAN! BIG SONIC FAN! lloyd x sheena yuri x judith
PSN ID:Bioshock1313
youtube:ChuieTheUmbreon my new channel
i was mieu-fire

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

20. Posted:

No contest in my neck of the Wario's Woods. Sure people had the Genesis because it came out first but they soon became dust collectors and paper weights once the SNES arrived. Man, the SNES kills the Genesis in ever way. Oh the Genesis tried to keep up but it in the end it turned into freaky Frankenstein.
Untitled

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo