Retro Forum

Topic: Game vs. Game

Showing 1,901 to 1,920 of 2,068

AuthorMessage

Electricmastro

1,901. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Sonic just beat Mega Man? Are people that thrown off by a challenge? :p
Mega Man 9 alone whipes the floor with every single Sonic game in the entire franchise, and that's a fact jack!

That's more of an opinion really. There's a reason why people keep bringing up the Genesis games.

Backloggery. Now playing: Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Gex, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Final Fantasy V, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic Classic Collection).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

1,902. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Mega Man 9 alone whipes the floor with every single Sonic game in the entire franchise, and that's a fact jack! And the Zero series? They offer some of the most challenging, kinetic, tightest, polished and energetic boss battles around!

I'm going to plunge face first into my mega pillow and cry blue bomber tears, mega man fans will you join me? :*

I'm on the side of gamers that don't want their games to be so frustrating, they discourage you to keep going.

NL RPG Season 2
Asylum Function: Secrets of Equestria
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
I've always wondered if a tree felt itself grow.

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

1,903. Posted:

Electricmastro wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Mega Man 9 alone whipes the floor with every single Sonic game in the entire franchise, and that's a fact jack!

That's more of an opinion really. There's a reason why people keep bringing up the Genesis games.

You don't say. The "I'm kidding" detector must be broken. :p

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

1,904. Posted:

Ark_Sin wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Mega Man 9 alone whipes the floor with every single Sonic game in the entire franchise, and that's a fact jack! And the Zero series? They offer some of the most challenging, kinetic, tightest, polished and energetic boss battles around!

I'm going to plunge face first into my mega pillow and cry blue bomber tears, mega man fans will you join me? :*

I'm on the side of gamers that don't want their games to be so frustrating, they discourage you to keep going.

I dind't find any of the classic Mega Man games(aside from Mega Man & Bass and Mega Man 10 on 'hard' mode) frustrating. They were always fair game. Have you played Ghosts 'n Goblins, Adventure Isalnd, Castlevania III, Blaster Master or the NES Ninja Gaiden games? They're all a lot tougher than the classic mega man titles.

Even so, the more challenging the better i say as it ENCOURAGES me to keep going. It gives me that drive to master that game and plow it into the ground. For me, there's absolutely zero satisfaction or intensity when playing easy games that hold you by the hand, give you numerous tutorials and save points like they're going out of style... i find most of these games to be a complete utter waste of time.

However, the Sonic games have always been challenging, but i was always more frustrated by the sloppy boring plaforming, clunky controls and uncontrollable loopdy' loop roller coaster spring blasting physics. :p It always seemed like a flashy gimmick to make sonic look like a cool bad a** in comparison to Mario. But yup.... you've got to admit, Sonic 4 was an uninspired disgrace to the franchise eek!

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

1,905. Posted:

Hard to say. I Like the Old school Megaman games more but Modern sonic is pretty good of late.

Too bad Capcom and Sega couldn't get a game out this year for the crossover.
Untitled

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,906. Posted:

I think sonic is the most overrated game series ever!! For me its trying to be too many things at once and not really being good at any of them. It doesn't really encourage exploration and you can enjoy the environment running around so fast. Don't get me wrong though I think Mario is heading in that direction as well. I don't want to see another 2d Mario game for another 10 year's please!!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Jeremyx7

1,907. Posted:

@WaveBoy I feel the same way about challenging games. The more challenging the more Encouragement I get as well in sharpening my gaming skills. That's why I love most of the Contra series! But that's another topic. :3

@Electricmastro If everything's fine for you than why post a huge taunting picture for me as a tag along response instead? You sure you're okay? Wanna talk about it?

@Tech101 I agree although I think Halo & Gears of War are the most overrated franchises as well as COD games which I find offensive in that they try to sell themselves as 'top notch' video games. You know.......because they're utter crap.

Edited on by Jeremyx7

Wii U online games: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

3DS online games: Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Kart 7, Tetris Axis

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0287-3926 | Nintendo Network ID: Jeremyx7

AuthorMessage

Electricmastro

1,908. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Electricmastro wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

You don't say. The "I'm kidding" detector must be broken. :p

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Backloggery. Now playing: Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Gex, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Final Fantasy V, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic Classic Collection).

AuthorMessage

Astro

1,909. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

It's not the challenge it's the bland, fiddly level design. If you want to play a real FUN and challenging platformer, play DKCR or Runner. Even Fractured soul and Gunman clive on eshop are more fun than MM could ever be.

Commandervideo: "I am only a man"

AuthorMessage

Karakato

1,910. Posted:

Astro wrote:

It's not the challenge it's the bland, fiddly level design. If you want to play a real FUN and challenging platformer, play DKCR or Runner. Even Fractured soul and Gunman clive on eshop are more fun than MM could ever be.

Care to explain your statement? As I recall, the Mega man (Classic especially) series is well regarded in terms of Level design, progression, weapon variety, etc. I played Fractured soul and Gunman Clive and while they were fun, I think the MM series trumps them both.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

1,911. Posted:

@Wavey
I prefer the Mega Man series myself, although I do enjoy Sonic as well, but in terms of the question: "Which has evolved better, I would say Sonic has.

Edited on by CapnPancakes

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

Electricmastro

1,912. Posted:

Jeremyx7 wrote:

@Electricmastro If everything's fine for you than why post a huge taunting picture for me as a tag along response instead? You sure you're okay? Wanna talk about it?

Thanks for worrying about me. I was just joking, that's all. :)

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

1,913. Posted:

@Astro

to even fully appreciate the classic MM series, you just had to of been there during their release, at least with 1-3. :p MM was a game changer, and there was absolutely nothing else like it when it hit the scene. MM2 was absolutely epic and improved on the original in every single way imaginable. The impact that game had during the NES hay days was enormous, it's considered the ultimate classic mega man for many reasons and boasts one of the most brilliant soundtracks in videogame history. That game was 8-bit heaven, a masterpiece if you will. ;) Sure looking at it now, the ladder climbing is a bit slow, the controls aren't quite as zippity as the later MM games and a few of the boss fights aren't the most polished(Quick man for ex). No game is perfect.
But hod damn was this game amazing back in the late 80's.

And fiddly and bland level design? You lost me dude. You must feel the same way about all 8-bit games then. The Classic Mega Man series are known to have some of the most detailed and varied stage design out there. They were considered TOP CLASS in the visual department. Was the original SMB, LOZ and Metroid too bland for you? Again, kids who didn't grow up in the NES era will never beable to fully appreciate how truly amazing these games were during the release. This stands true especially for those who grew up with 3D based consoles. It's just how it is... Somebody who started out playing the Gamecube(Super Mario Sunshine for ex) and YEARS later just for kicks automatically shifted to Super Mario Bros on the NES will not beable to fathom or understand just how amazing and magical it truly was during it's time. The NES was cutting edge, but being accustomed to a '3 generations later' 3D riddled polygon ultra power house console will compltely knock down the wow factor. This may even slightly ring true for children who started out with the SNES to some degree who were used to 16 bit.

Anyhoo, I feel that all of the classic Mega Man games have aged perfectly.....Well, aside from MM3 which is crippled with slowdown. :p Sonic games haved aged fantastic as well, they're just not my cup of toobular tetris tea bud! lol Even back then as a Genesis owner I found them to be just 'OK' at best. But yup, i always get in defense mode when somebody busts out the 'Most nes games haven't aged too well' I think that's BS. MOST 3D Based PS1 & N64 games are the ones that haven't aged well. Aside from the lifeless blocky & barren graphics, many of those games are crippled with below 30 frame rates which is just unecceptable in this day and age.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

Emaan

1,914. Posted:

Winner: Sonic the Hedgehog [Series]

Untitled

I would like to thank everyone for the well thought discussions and smack talk. :p
This made for a very interesting mashup between two very iconic and beloved video game franchises.

But now we must move on!

New: Final Fantasy VII vs. Final Fantasy IX

It's the renowned classic versus the beloved and nostalgic sequel~
Is the seventh entry considered so in royalty that no sequel can match its excellence? Or is the ninth entry the better game despite its lesser popularity? Only the votes will decide in this mashup!

Final Fantasy VII: 0
Final Fantasy IX: 0

I have yet to play Final Fantasy IX, so even though I absolutely loved Final Fantasy VII, I won't be voting this time :3

Start voting now!

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,915. Posted:

Final Fantasy IX. I'm getting my opinion entirely from a let's play admittedly, but that made me think it is better than any other Final Fantasy.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

Astro

1,916. Posted:

@Waveboy
I never said the graphics where bland it's the levels, sparse amounts of enemies and the series just generally has a slow feel to the platforming (MM makes Mario feel as fast as sonic). And compared to the layered levels of SMB there is usually just the one route through a level in MM and no hidden areas as such. And enemies/bosses have fidgety AI that feels irritating instead of challenging. The graphics and music are great for the NES though. And just because I don't particularly like MM doesn't mean I don't like all NES games. In fact, SMB is one of the best platformers I've ever played, speed running in that game is unparalleled. But that's just my opinion.

Commandervideo: "I am only a man"

AuthorMessage

Adhrast

1,917. Posted:

IX ALL the way :D
Best FF and best JRPG ever. Imo, obv ;)

Adhrast

3DS Friend Code: 2938-6194-1975 | Nintendo Network ID: Adhrast

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

1,918. Posted:

As much as I loved VII, I've probably poured in upwards of 800 hours into Final Fantasy IX over the years.

Sooo yeah, I'm going with IX.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

Emaan

1,919. Posted:

Final Fantasy VII: 0
Final Fantasy IX: 3

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,920. Posted:

Both are some of the better games of the series. I love the charm and characters in IX! I never finished the game but all the characters were very likeable! I'm glad they took it back to the series roots a bit for that game.

However I'm going with VII. Great story, characters you loved or hated, wonderful story, great battle system, and for its time some of the best graphics going on any game! Did I mention awesome story!! Oh and I forgot the music. I spent a ton of hours on that game and to this day could start it all over again!! I'm still hoping for an hd remake some day just for this game!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech