Retro Forum

Topic: Game vs. Game

Showing 1,321 to 1,340 of 2,068

AuthorMessage

Birthday_Boy

1,321. Posted:

Super Paper Mario. At least that one had more replay ability, as well as a fun story.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 8
Super Paper Mario: 6

Edited on by Birthday_Boy

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter: Kyloctopus

AuthorMessage

C0mmanderVide0

1,322. Posted:

Sticker star for me. It's an actual RPG, while SPM is nothing but a pretender. Although the flip ability was awesome, if it weren't for that, then SPM would of been a complete FLOP. Pun intended ;)

Edited on by C0mmanderVide0

C0mmanderVide0

AuthorMessage

Klimbatize

1,323. Posted:

Sticker Star, though parts of it were kind of annoying. I found World 3 a bit tedious.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 10

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

AuthorMessage

iwanttodie

1,324. Posted:

Astro wrote:

Sticker star for me. It's an actual RPG, while SPM is nothing but a pretender. Although the flip ability was awesome, if it weren't for that, then SPM would of been a complete FLOP. Pun intended ;)

Wow, THAT'S ORIGINAL,Blaming SPM for not being an RPG even though you've oviously never playe it and realize that I'TS MORE AN RPG THAN PMSS

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND MOTHER 3

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

1,325. Posted:

I'm not sure, I liked different things about them. I thought Super Paper Mario was funnier, with more interesting characters and a better story, but I found myself enjoying the actual gameplay in Sticker Star much more (particularly the increased focus on exploration) and I loved what it did aesthetically with the series' paper/cardboard theme.

I'll give the edge to Sticker Star, but it's close.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

SparkOfSpirit

1,326. Posted:

Sticker Star by leagues.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage

HaastMK7

1,327. Posted:

Sticker Star probably.

Miiverse: Haast_NZL
Followers: 855
Follow me! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Haast_NZL

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0434-4753 | Nintendo Network ID: Haast_NZL

AuthorMessage

Emaan

1,328. Posted:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 13

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore :c ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

Hokori

1,329. Posted:

Sticker star for portability and collecting

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

iwanttodie

1,330. Posted:

None of the 3 above me have played SPM and just looked at the ratings

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN

AuthorMessage

MrArcade

1,331. Posted:

Shadowing27 wrote:

None of the 3 above me have played SPM and just looked at the ratings

But Sticker Star got 8 and Super Paper Mario got a 9.

MrArcade

AuthorMessage

Emaan

1,332. Posted:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 14

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

1,333. Posted:

The love for Sticker Star is just astonishing. By removing experience and levels it's basically a game where you have no incentive to kill ANY of the enemies. Yes, they give coins, but I had 1000 of them by the first world, and the only thing you need them for is to buy 20 coin mushrooms or a big sticker if you mess up - you also lose more stickers than you gain by battling, and the system is slow and boring.

So without battles, what is the game? Running through levels where virtually no platforming is necessary, solving easy puzzles, and getting to a boss battle where the strategy involves using your big sticker and maybe healing yourself. The problem is that when stickers are almost exclusively used for unimportant battles, the exploration becomes boring as well - seeing as it only serves to find more stickers or coins. The story is the same as any Mario game and the planned minigames were cancelled. Not exactly even classifiable as a good game in my opinion...

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Nintomdo

1,334. Posted:

I'm having a blast with Sticker Star. It's an awesome game. I am disappointed the rpg elements were removed, though the stickers are fun and involving enough to almost make up for it. Nintendo seems intent on making the paper mario series something other than an rpg. I liked Super Paper Mario at the time, but it really feels like the odd game out. I hope we get a true paper mario next time, but I won't hold my breath.

Nintomdo

AuthorMessage

iwanttodie

1,335. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

The love for Sticker Star is just astonishing. By removing experience and levels it's basically a game where you have no incentive to kill ANY of the enemies. Yes, they give coins, but I had 1000 of them by the first world, and the only thing you need them for is to buy 20 coin mushrooms or a big sticker if you mess up - you also lose more stickers than you gain by battling, and the system is slow and boring.

So without battles, what is the game? Running through levels where virtually no platforming is necessary, solving easy puzzles, and getting to a boss battle where the strategy involves using your big sticker and maybe healing yourself. The problem is that when stickers are almost exclusively used for unimportant battles, the exploration becomes boring as well - seeing as it only serves to find more stickers or coins. The story is the same as any Mario game and the planned minigames were cancelled. Not exactly even classifiable as a good game in my opinion...

This.

mods delete me

AuthorMessage

Emaan

1,336. Posted:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 15
Super Paper Mario: 7

The Emaaloggery

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,337. Posted:

Everyone complains about something of every game. We all yell for Nintendo to change things up they are getting boring and when they do we say why did they mess it up! I for one didn't like the RPG elements removed but thought it was a wonderful game. Give me more of the same Nintendo!!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

1,338. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

Everyone complains about something of every game. We all yell for Nintendo to change things up they are getting boring and when they do we say why did they mess it up! I for one didn't like the RPG elements removed but thought it was a wonderful game. Give me more of the same Nintendo!!

This is the kind of argument that really makes me face-palm. Franchises continually putting out games that are virtually identical is undesirable - We played the first game and had fun with it - but sequels should provide something new. We've already played the first game, so we have to ask ourselves what the sequel can offer us on top of that. Most Nintendo franchises handle this well - but the NSMB series is an example of this going horribly wrong.

Now, the other side of the argument. Yes, people usually complain when a franchise has a major change - but it really doesn't help your argument to point to Sticker Star as an example of this. Sticker Star was a game in a franchise that has very little entries, which has each game coming out years apart - and so major changes to the franchise aren't really necessary, while smaller changes would still be desirable. What Nintendo decided to do was to reshape the game to a form that simply doesn't work - for the reasons I pointed out in my previous post.

Super Mario Sunshine is an example of Nintendo going somewhere new with an existing franchise while still producing a great game. Some people disliked that too, but it is miles better than any game of the repetitive NSMB series - and always will be unless it changes and evolves. In the end, of course the fans are giving Nintendo mixed messages - to imply otherwise would mean that every fan in the world had the same opinion on every game they ever release - but that doesn't mean Nintendo should stop changing their games. Nintendo made mistakes with Sticker Star - but at least they tried something new.

Analogies are fun - so I'll simply repeat your argument regarding Sticker Star as my TLDR:

A mother feeds her children chicken every meal, every day for their whole lives. They continually complain and request something new. One day she gives them dirt to eat instead. Why are they still complaining? Them being unappeasable is apparently the only logical conclusion.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

LuigiTheGreenFire

1,339. Posted:

Super Paper Mario gets my vote.

It has a FAR more compelling story, better boss battles, Pixls/Luigi, Peach, Bowser. Above all, it has more replay value and more sidequests.

Nintendo fan for life!

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732

AuthorMessage

Intrepid

1,340. Posted:

Super Paper Mario for story, writing, and trying something new. Sticker Star made you use stickers to perform actions that could have been performed under normal circumstances (jump, hammer). Though thing stickers were cool, I was frustrated that Sticker Star had no real story, and had arbitrary limitations in battle (no attacking any enemy except the first one, no running away unless the game decides you can, no individual enemy health meter, etc.) I still like Sticker Star, but I now view Super Paper Mario in a more positive light now.

Edit: Another thing is that boss battles in Sticker Star are too scripted. The game intends for you to use a very specific thing sticker, after which the enemy's large HP will drop massively, and then you follow up with a simple attack to win. The only hard part about it is finding out which sticker to use at times, after which it isn't really even a battle anymore.

Edited on by Intrepid

Support the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2!
My Zeldaloggery
Diehard Accel World fan! Check it out here.
“Incarnation isn’t about desire! It’s about hope!” – Haruyuki Arita