Forums

Topic: Game vs. Game

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 2,015

Geonjaha

The love for Sticker Star is just astonishing. By removing experience and levels it's basically a game where you have no incentive to kill ANY of the enemies. Yes, they give coins, but I had 1000 of them by the first world, and the only thing you need them for is to buy 20 coin mushrooms or a big sticker if you mess up - you also lose more stickers than you gain by battling, and the system is slow and boring.

So without battles, what is the game? Running through levels where virtually no platforming is necessary, solving easy puzzles, and getting to a boss battle where the strategy involves using your big sticker and maybe healing yourself. The problem is that when stickers are almost exclusively used for unimportant battles, the exploration becomes boring as well - seeing as it only serves to find more stickers or coins. The story is the same as any Mario game and the planned minigames were cancelled. Not exactly even classifiable as a good game in my opinion...

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Nintomdo

I'm having a blast with Sticker Star. It's an awesome game. I am disappointed the rpg elements were removed, though the stickers are fun and involving enough to almost make up for it. Nintendo seems intent on making the paper mario series something other than an rpg. I liked Super Paper Mario at the time, but it really feels like the odd game out. I hope we get a true paper mario next time, but I won't hold my breath.

Nintomdo

iwanttodie

Geonjaha wrote:

The love for Sticker Star is just astonishing. By removing experience and levels it's basically a game where you have no incentive to kill ANY of the enemies. Yes, they give coins, but I had 1000 of them by the first world, and the only thing you need them for is to buy 20 coin mushrooms or a big sticker if you mess up - you also lose more stickers than you gain by battling, and the system is slow and boring.

So without battles, what is the game? Running through levels where virtually no platforming is necessary, solving easy puzzles, and getting to a boss battle where the strategy involves using your big sticker and maybe healing yourself. The problem is that when stickers are almost exclusively used for unimportant battles, the exploration becomes boring as well - seeing as it only serves to find more stickers or coins. The story is the same as any Mario game and the planned minigames were cancelled. Not exactly even classifiable as a good game in my opinion...

This.

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND ...

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

e-love

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 15
Super Paper Mario: 7

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

Spoony_Tech

Everyone complains about something of every game. We all yell for Nintendo to change things up they are getting boring and when they do we say why did they mess it up! I for one didn't like the RPG elements removed but thought it was a wonderful game. Give me more of the same Nintendo!!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Geonjaha

Tech101 wrote:

Everyone complains about something of every game. We all yell for Nintendo to change things up they are getting boring and when they do we say why did they mess it up! I for one didn't like the RPG elements removed but thought it was a wonderful game. Give me more of the same Nintendo!!

This is the kind of argument that really makes me face-palm. Franchises continually putting out games that are virtually identical is undesirable - We played the first game and had fun with it - but sequels should provide something new. We've already played the first game, so we have to ask ourselves what the sequel can offer us on top of that. Most Nintendo franchises handle this well - but the NSMB series is an example of this going horribly wrong.

Now, the other side of the argument. Yes, people usually complain when a franchise has a major change - but it really doesn't help your argument to point to Sticker Star as an example of this. Sticker Star was a game in a franchise that has very little entries, which has each game coming out years apart - and so major changes to the franchise aren't really necessary, while smaller changes would still be desirable. What Nintendo decided to do was to reshape the game to a form that simply doesn't work - for the reasons I pointed out in my previous post.

Super Mario Sunshine is an example of Nintendo going somewhere new with an existing franchise while still producing a great game. Some people disliked that too, but it is miles better than any game of the repetitive NSMB series - and always will be unless it changes and evolves. In the end, of course the fans are giving Nintendo mixed messages - to imply otherwise would mean that every fan in the world had the same opinion on every game they ever release - but that doesn't mean Nintendo should stop changing their games. Nintendo made mistakes with Sticker Star - but at least they tried something new.

Analogies are fun - so I'll simply repeat your argument regarding Sticker Star as my TLDR:

A mother feeds her children chicken every meal, every day for their whole lives. They continually complain and request something new. One day she gives them dirt to eat instead. Why are they still complaining? Them being unappeasable is apparently the only logical conclusion.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

LuigiTheGreenFire

Super Paper Mario gets my vote.

It has a FAR more compelling story, better boss battles, Pixls/Luigi, Peach, Bowser. Above all, it has more replay value and more sidequests.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Intrepid

Super Paper Mario for story, writing, and trying something new. Sticker Star made you use stickers to perform actions that could have been performed under normal circumstances (jump, hammer). Though thing stickers were cool, I was frustrated that Sticker Star had no real story, and had arbitrary limitations in battle (no attacking any enemy except the first one, no running away unless the game decides you can, no individual enemy health meter, etc.) I still like Sticker Star, but I now view Super Paper Mario in a more positive light now.

Edit: Another thing is that boss battles in Sticker Star are too scripted. The game intends for you to use a very specific thing sticker, after which the enemy's large HP will drop massively, and then you follow up with a simple attack to win. The only hard part about it is finding out which sticker to use at times, after which it isn't really even a battle anymore.

Edited on by Intrepid

e-love

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 15
Super Paper Mario: 9

DreamyViridi

Intrepid wrote:

no running away unless the game decides you can.

From battles? Just tap A to increase the chances of successful escape. A dark enough screen even guarantees an escape.
Anyway, Sticker Star for me; though both games are great and really don't deserve the judgement they get.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

e-love

Paper Mario: Sticker Star: 16
Super Paper Mario: 11

@Waveyyy, I guess I'll count that as a vote towards SPM?

Edited on by e-love

Spoony_Tech

WaveBoy wrote:

I haven't played Sticker Star yet, but aside from looking rehashed and uninspired, i've heard most of it's stoundtrack and it's heavily dissapointing compared to Super Paper Mario's which i'd say has one of the best scores in gaming history. Brilliant stuff!

Gameplay aside. Most people would agree that that music is excellent!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

e-love

Tech101 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

I haven't played Sticker Star yet, but aside from looking rehashed and uninspired, i've heard most of it's stoundtrack and it's heavily dissapointing compared to Super Paper Mario's which i'd say has one of the best scores in gaming history. Brilliant stuff!

Gameplay aside. Most people would agree that that music is excellent!

Yeah, I thought the reception (from the NLife community at least) on the music was quite positive.

Mieu-Fire

i think it safe to move on to the next thing

MANGO

Intrepid

LuigiMan200 wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

no running away unless the game decides you can.

From battles? Just tap A to increase the chances of successful escape. A dark enough screen even guarantees an escape.
Anyway, Sticker Star for me; though both games are great and really don't deserve the judgement they get.

There are instances where you could be a god at button mashing and the screen will hardly darken.

DreamyViridi

@Intrepid - Oh right, those times. You just have to try again a couple of times and the game lets you run at some point. I understand what you mean though, 64 and TTYD have those times too. Y'know, when the OK cursor ends up a bit too far ahead of the green bar?

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

iwanttodie

LuigiMan200 wrote:

@Intrepid - Oh right, those times. You just have to try again a couple of times and the game lets you run at some point. I understand what you mean though, 64 and TTYD have those times too. Y'know, when the OK cursor ends up a bit too far ahead of the green bar?

From my experience, you have to time the A button with mario's feet to run...

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND ...

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

Intrepid

LuigiMan200 wrote:

With those games, though, the OK cursor could slide to the left and allow a run away, even if you hardly try. It may be statisically low, but still possible. With Sticker Star, though, it feels like the game has already decided whether or not you can run away, and the button mashing is irrelevant to the final result.

I know this seems like a petty complaint, but in a game where there is no real incentive to battle, running away is important.

e-love

Winner: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Untitled

NEW: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap vs. Phantom Hourglass

The Minish Cap: 0
Phantom Hourglass: 1

Start voting now!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.