Forums

Topic: SNES Mini

Posts 461 to 480 of 495

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for the suggestions, alas, it isn't any of those games. Maybe memory is playing tricks on me.

On a side note: any advice on how to get a fully English translated version of FIRE EMBLEM for SNES to work on SNES Mini? I have added the game to mine and whilst the story text is in English, none of the in-game character stats or menus are English?!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Well, you'd have to get a clean version of the Japanese edition, and then apply the English translation to it, which can be found here:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/961/
(There's actually many more translations there to be found, by the way. Many of them are often posted here in articles written by @Shiryu)

You will need a little program called "Lunar IPS", which is a ROM patcher program. The usage of it kind of explains itself, but you can also find that program on the same site, and that will also have a tutorial.

I personally have an emulator installed on my PC as well, so I can test the patched ROM first, before putting it on any other device. I use Snes9x, the same emulator in the RetroArch mod on the SNES Mini, for maximum compatibility.

Do be sure to always read any info or readme files accompanying any translations: it might contain useful information for patching.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy as for the soccer game, I have a feeling that you are indeed mixing up consoles, because I wouldn't know what other soccer game it could be. I only came up with one other title that I forgot, namely Empire Soccer, but that probably isn't it either, and I'm not even sure if that was on the SNES, since I used to play that on the Amiga.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Lroy

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get a NES Mini Classic at some point down the road. I wondered if the modding process was as smooth as the SNES Mini using Hakchi2?

For example, can I just plug the NES Mini Classic into the same Laptop and run the same Hakchi2 software I used for my SNES Mini Classic?

Does the software allow you to swap in and out the NES/SNES minis and still be able to import your games for each system at will etc. simultaneously so to speak. Or is if preferred to use a different computer and a separate install of Halchi2 to keep the games libraries separate?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Edited on by Lroy

Retro Gamer

gcunit

@Lroy http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nes+mini+hakchi It works on both.

My NES mini arrived on Monday. Haven't modded it yet though.

Edited on by gcunit

NSO subscription for £5 per year - join my NSO family group now

2 spaces left.

Email me at [email protected] and notify me here. Then I'll send the invite. Payment via PayPal.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy It does indeed work on both. You can see that in the hakchi menu, when you boot it up with the Mini connected: it'll offer a choice between SNES, NES, Famicom or Super Famicom.

BUT: if you have your game list and kernel file backup saved in your current hakchi2 folder, then it would be wise to make a new hakchi folder that's specifically for the NES Mini, with its own game list and backup, and run the mod from there.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX @gcunit Thanks fellas, I'm excited to get a NES Mini Classic later in the year. You can put ALL the NES games on this one correct? E.g. There isn't the same issues of space discussed previously about the SNES Mini? Is that right?

Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy It has the same amount of flash memory, so if the entire NES collection of games isn't more than 400 - 450 MB, then it would fit and you would have more than enough space left for save slots, but I personally don''t think that it's necessary to put ALL NES games on there, since there's a lot of crap titles as well.

But at least you'll be able to put WAY more titles on there, since most ROMs are only a quarter of the size of a SNES ROM, at most. I've seen ROM's that don't even hit 200 KB.

I've got mine pre-ordered as well, almost a month ago already, and I'll only be putting the best titles on there. Will probably amount to 200 - 250 titles in all.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Cool, I was just thinking in this one instance it might just be easier to dump the whole set of NES games on there in one go and then not have to plug it into my computer ever again, lol! ☺️

Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Yeah, I figured it was something like that.
Luckily, I've already done all that work years ago, of selecting and cleaning up my NES ROM collection, which I use on my PC, Wii, DS and DSi, so all I have to do, is copy that from one of these to the NES Mini.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Ah, a man well prepared. Do share any impressions and particular game highlights you have once you get your hands on your NES Mini Classic.

Unless Nintendo announce another Mini model coming for this year, I'll likely (stock dependent) pick mine up as a B'Day or Xmas gift.

Retro Gamer

DarthNocturnal

If there's no pre-orders for North America tomorrow, I fear gladiatorial combat will be my only option...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Sure, no problem. I'll be picking mine up in the first week of July, at least: if it arrived on time...

@DarthNocturnal You must want one REALLY badly...

DarthNocturnal

@ThanosReXXX

Yeah, you could say that. Been waiting for a year and a half to get one (if one counts the original release).

But man, they're bringing it down to the wire over here. NoA just feels cruel compared to NoE and NoJ sometimes...

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, I noticed that. I feel your pain. Gotta say that I was really glad being able to finally preorder one this time around, since last time, I never even got the chance to TRY and place a preorder, no matter how hard I tried.

I tried really hard to stay sane, in between leading a normal life, and having to hunt websites at impossible hours to try and find one. And then the scalper thing happened...

Boy, did that ever p*** me off...

Yosheel

I'm happy that I was able to preorder both minis without problems on their original releases...

Then again, with the taxes video games get in my country, it was basically like paying to a (sorta reasonable) scalper anyway...

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Lroy

My NES Classic Mini should be here before the end of June (although I may have to mod it and then put it aside until my birthday). Very smooth ordering process. Bought it from Nintendo UK Store. Excited!

Fingers and toes crossed we get an N64 Mini announcement this year too!

Retro Gamer

DarthNocturnal

@Lroy

I think both previous Minis were revealed a few weeks (up to a month) after E3. So I'm half-expecting something in July. Especially if those trademark renewals weren't just a precaution.

Lroy

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Lroy

I think both previous Minis were revealed a few weeks (up to a month) after E3. So I'm half-expecting something in July. Especially if those trademark renewals weren't just a precaution.

Please, please, please 😉

Retro Gamer

Darknyht

@ThanosReXXX Getting ready to attempt the usb mod to add wifi and extra storage to my SNES Classic. With the addition of retroachivements.org and Hakchi2 CE, the SNES classic is slowly becoming a full blown retropie for me. With the added achievements, it is making going back into games a little more interesting and Hardcore mode will really kick in the challenge (no save states).

I am looking forward to being able to make changes to games without destroying my progress in FreeDOOM and Cave Story. Plus it will be nice to be able to load in everything I have without risking running out of space (DosBox stuff can really eat up storage fast). Especially once I start messing around with ScummVM, my dust covered Sierra collection CDs, and some of the freeware Scumm games.

Overall, it is just insane how capable the mini console really is if you are willing to mess around with it. The guys behind hakchi2 have done some impressive stuff. Although I need to get a cable extension for my classic controller so it's a little easier to play PrBoom games (ZL and ZR change weapons).

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic