Forums

Topic: SNES Mini

Posts 421 to 440 of 494

DarthNocturnal

I'd take both an N64 and Game Boy Classic. The latter in particular... imagine some of the best the GB(C) had to offer, with backlight, save states, and rechargable battery, while still keeping the iconic “grey brick“ look.

Or maybe make it look like a Game Boy Color and sell it in a bunch of different colors. Then I can have my Teal GBC back in some form.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Lroy

TheLZdragon wrote:

I think they should do a Game Boy Mini instead

Hey, I'd buy both 😉

If Nintendo do indeed do a Game Boy Mini (and at this point from a demand and financial gain perspective, why wouldn't they?) I'd really like it to feature titles from across that family of systems - e.g. have Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games on it. The latter of which had some incredible games which definitely can stand up today.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

DarthNocturnal

I feel like Advance would have to get it's own Classic. If only because the GB Classic would hopefully have 30 games (at least) from across the decade + that the system was active. Mario Land 1 & 2, Wario Land series, Metroid II, Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, Kirby Dreamland 1 & 2 (maybe Tilt N' Tumhle if they can slip a gyro sensor in there), Donkey Kong Land 1-3 & the “Donkey Kong“ GB game (known elsewhere as Donkey Kong 93)... and I'm not even scratching the surface.

Throw in some kind of link capability, and maybe they'll even add Pokemon.

gcunit

While I wouldn't say no to a GBA Classic, I'd rather they just enable GBA games on the 3DS.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DarthNocturnal

@gcunit

They probably would've done so by now if they could. With full on proper emulation that is.

According to the Cutting Room Floor, the 3DS' GB(C) emulator can run GBA games, but it's slow and/ or unstable. Presumably, it's not enough to meet Nintendo's standards. And unless they have another surprise announcement at E3 or somewhere else down the line, I don't think N3DS is getting them. I'm not sure if SNES games are a proper benchmark either.

As for the Ambassador games, those ran in the 3DS' “DS mode“; this cuts them off from handy features, like save states.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Really? The official controller can quite easily be pre-ordered over here in stores, and they cost around 15 euros, which will probably be around 20 dollars. No fear for scalpers over here. I've also already secured a NES Mini, so I'm not losing any sleep over these anti-social backstabbers...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

DarthNocturnal

@ThanosReXXX

Everything NES Classic simply isn't up yet over here. We've always been about 2-4 weeks behind the Europe and Japan pre-orders. Why, I haven't a clue.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, it'll be up eventually. And if it's any consolation: it was up here for well over a week, and I was STILL able to quite easily pre-order it, so it was definitely not the same situation as when it launched the first time.

And as that official Tweet said, both Minis will be available throughout the rest of the year, so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to secure one in the end, unless you're living in an area with very little outlets or options to get games and consoles.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

DarthNocturnal

ThanosReXXX wrote:

...unless you're living in an area with very little outlets or options to get games and consoles.

Welllllll....

But yeah. Visiting any retailers that would stock Classics would require a day trip. Online is usually my only option for things like this (if I don't want to wait an eon).

The whole thing makes me feel like a highway bandit stalking a travelling merchant, except I'm doing it to legitimately purchase his goods.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Ouch... That would most certainly rule out making the trip to pre-order anything (for me), then. Just imagine taking the time to do that, only to find that all pre-orders are already taken...

So, if that would be the situation over here, then I would only go there if I also had some other business to take care of, so that way, it would at least be a useful trip, and not just one to "hopefully" be able to grab a pre-order. And even if you do manage to secure one, you'd have to make another day trip to pick it up... (assuming they're not willing or able to send it to you)

But online is of course always an option for all of us, so luckily we still have that if there's no game shop in the direct vicinity.

Guess I'm lucky to be a yank living in Amsterdam, then. Not as big a city as any of the big ones found in North America, but still more than big enough to house dozens of game shops, and I literally live a 20 minute walk away from the city center, which is also where I pre-ordered my NES Mini, so I would normally not need to spend more than between 1 and 1,5 hours at most.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ilikeike

Hi everyone, so I've had my SNES Classic since launch and I absolutely love it, but by now I'd love to add some new games to it like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma. Problem is, I have no experience with modding or emulation in general. So to those of you who've added games to the SNES, do you think a newbie like myself could handle it or would it be too much? Any specific tips or guides you'd recommend for me as well?
Thank you in advance!

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Delibheel

I haven't tried to hack the SNES mini, but if it's like the NES mini (and you only plan to add more SNES games) then it's super easy to do it. Almost ridiculously so.

I think Thanos posted some tutorials a few pages back.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Joeynator3000

Yeah, only tricky part is custom borders, since you have to use something like FileZilla and go into the SNES Classic's file system.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

ThanosReXXX

@ilikeike Yes, it's quite easy, as long as you follow instructions to the letter. On page 19 of this topic, I've posted instruction videos and from that page on, just browse through the rest of my comments for some more tips and advice.

And just watch those videos once or twice before you do the hack, and then do the hack while simultaneously watching the video again, so you can just pause the video after each step that the tutorial takes you through.

@Joeynator3000 Haven't touched the custom borders part myself. I'm fine with the standard ones, so that doesn't interest me personally, but if I'm not mistaken, those are actually included in the additional RetroArch mod, so no need to use FileZilla or whatever, unless you want to add your own borders.

But I'm guessing you can also add these to the custom borders folder from the RetroArch mod, once that's installed.

Joeynator3000

That's what I meant, adding your own borders, since I'm an anime fan...I have some borders with my favorite anime girls on it. xp
But yeah you have to do a few things in the system's files first to make it work.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

ilikeike

@ThanosReXXX Awesome, thanks so much for the tips! I'll be sure to check out those videos and comments. Now I've got myself a good Memorial Day project!

ilikeike

@ThanosReXXX Quick question, any specific requirements for the USB cable I use to connect the SNES to my computer? Can I use the cable that came with the console, or do I need to use a different one?

Delibheel

The included one should work just fine as far as I know.

See, Nintendo was nice enough to include everything you need.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Lroy

@ilikeike Use the one that came with the SNES Mini. I've actually been modding mine when I have a few minutes spare throughout today. Mostly plan sailing. Having to tweak a few things here and there now.

My advice would be to keep the number of games you add to something like 50. If you use and like to have space for save states on each game, I would also avoid unchecking the save space mod in RetroArch (it is the top check box when you drag the zipped RetroArch cores file into Hakchi2). I didn't at first and added 63 games and have had errros such as C4 (error when creating save states) and C8 (error when trying to turn off the system when in the menu).

Both I seem to have fixed now by reducing the number of games, keeping only 25 on each Page (a setting within Hakchi2) and removing that save space mod.

Everyone is going to want to tweak Mod build to suit their needs. I'm very much in the middle of all this now, just giving you a heads up in case it helps.

Next thing I may try aside from tweaking my 50 games to the ones I really want for the foreseeable future (easy to add and remove games once you are up and running) is the custom borders.

@thanosrexxx Do you know how I can use any extra borders without using FTP?

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@ilikeike No, you can simply use the cable that came with the console. After you've watched those videos, and the whole process (well, "whole"... it can be done in under 15 minutes) doesn't seem overwhelming to you, then just give it a go. Following the steps just as they appear in the video, nothing can go wrong.

@Lroy No, I'm afraid not. I was never interested in that, so I've never looked into it. I know that there's an extra option for borders in the RetroArch mod, so perhaps you can find that in the playlist of the same guy that did the other videos. And of course you could always send him a message. Or look on Reddit or GBATemp forum pages...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic