Forums

Topic: SNES Mini

Posts 381 to 400 of 425

ThanosReXXX

@ilikeike RetroArch on PC or on the RetroPie systems is a bit harder to set up, but that also depends on what you want it to do, and the more systems it needs to emulate, the more difficult it gets. Or at least: the more steps you need to follow to make it all work.

As for PSX emulation: I'd sooner do that on PC, with ePSXe, or even on the Wii/Wii U, with WiiSX (USB modded version), if you really want to play/try these games, but not on the SNES Mini. You'd first need to get your hands on one of these USB add-ons for your HDMI cable, and then you'd have to do some more steps to re-mod it. Wouldn't be worth it to me personally.

And in case you're wondering: I actually do have and use those two PSX emulators on my PC and on my Wii, and they work just fine.

Glad you succeeded and that you're enjoying the heck out of it.
Happy customers are the best ones, after all...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Lroy

My own SNES Mini mod is coming along nicely. Not had any C4 or C8 error messages since keeping no more than 50 games on the system at any one time (I'm sure you could fit more but this is the number that is working for me). I have used a limit of 25 per Page to arrange them and that seems to be working fine too.

All four save state slots appear to be working for all games, even the two titles I have force booted to use RetroArch emulator (add [space] --RetroArch to the command line in Hakchi2) appear to have the regular four save slots operational too.

Also picked up some extensions cables for the controllers. £5 and change and work a treat. With the Hakchi2 mod I can now use a controller short cut to open the menu/save state screen. No more getting up all the time ☺️

Now it's just a case of getting my idea of a Top 100 or 150 SNES games into Hakchi with artwork etc and then switching them in and out as desired depending on what I feel like keeping on the SNES Mini to playthrough for the foreseeable future.

Very happy. Thanks to this thread for all the help. Decided to leave custom borders and just use the ones installed already. Might have a think about changing my Folder/Page structure, don't want to fiddle for fiddling sake and get errors again but do like the idea of having all the games listed by release date. Is that possible even if you need to keep the number of games to a page/folder to a certain number? E.g. They are split across two or more pages?

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Don't know about listing them according to release date. You'd probably have to make custom folders for that. Personally, I'm really happy with my alphabetical folders, and I have 30 games max per folder, and as you might already know by now, a grand total of 186 games, and no problems whatsoever, so no need to stick to only 50. That number is probably true for 50 all on the main screen. For some reason, errors can still occur when having too many games on one screen, and even without the errors, the more you have on one screen, the more you'd have to scroll to get to a certain game in that list, so why not shorten it to 30 or under?

My setup is that I've left the original 21 games alone, so these are the only games on the front page when you start up the console, and all the added games are in alphabetical folders, with 30 games max per folder, as mentioned earlier.

In my opinion, that's the ideal setup, but obviously, you must use what's best or most handy for you, so find out what works best and stick with that, no matter how many games you add.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Cool, sure I'll keep tweaking things here and there with the folders and what not. If I can up the game count whilst keeping all four save states operable for all games, I'll add more. If not, I'll stick to my 50 installed at any one time. I can always, swap a game in and out each time I finish one. So the limit cap isn't that bad. Plus, I can always keep the SNES Mini to my personal Top 50 Faves and use my modded Wii for all the other SNES games I fancy dabbling with from time to time.

I struggle to find the time to play more than one game at a time on my Switch, let alone 50 games at a time on retro machines, lol! Hence why I love arcade games on my Retro Pie or Switch or Modded Wii so much. Can finish them in one sitting πŸ˜‰

Edited on by Lroy

Joeynator3000

Guess I'll give Chrono Trigger another go at some point then, I haven't touch the SNES in a while.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy You can easily go to around 80 - 100, and still have save states for them, although maybe not all four. Personally, I wouldn't need four save states per game, seeing as I'm the only one playing them, so one per game is enough, much like how most people would only have one save game per title on the Switch, Xbox One or PS4.

Lroy

Can anyone help me identify a football or 'soccer' game that was on the SNES which kind of featured a similar camera changing perspective for shots on goal like SUPER SIDEKICKS 2 for the Neo-Geo?

I could've sword that I used to play a football game on the Super Nintendo that suddenly changed to a first person or over the shoulder type camera angle and you had to aim the cursor inside the opponents goal in a set time to score a long shot.

Have looked at YouTube videos and whilst I recognise many of the football games featured, none seem to have this shift camera perspective I am referring to. If you've ever played SUPER SIDEKICKS 2 in the arcade, you'll know what I mean.

Have I cross-pollinated two separate games from my youth or does this fabled footie game exist on Snes? Thanks for any light you can shed on this query.

Edited on by Lroy

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Perhaps the SNES version of Fifa International Soccer? Or International Superstar Soccer Deluxe?
Other soccer games on the SNES that I know of, are Striker, Super Soccer, Italia 90, World Soccer, Sensible Soccer, Kickoff 3.

EDIT:
Had a look on the old interwebs myself, and I'm thinking that perhaps you might be looking for Tony Meola's Sidekick Soccer? That used mode 7 AND it had an over the shoulder view, so maybe that's the one.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for the suggestions, alas, it isn't any of those games. Maybe memory is playing tricks on me.

On a side note: any advice on how to get a fully English translated version of FIRE EMBLEM for SNES to work on SNES Mini? I have added the game to mine and whilst the story text is in English, none of the in-game character stats or menus are English?!

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Well, you'd have to get a clean version of the Japanese edition, and then apply the English translation to it, which can be found here:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/961/
(There's actually many more translations there to be found, by the way. Many of them are often posted here in articles written by @Shiryu)

You will need a little program called "Lunar IPS", which is a ROM patcher program. The usage of it kind of explains itself, but you can also find that program on the same site, and that will also have a tutorial.

I personally have an emulator installed on my PC as well, so I can test the patched ROM first, before putting it on any other device. I use Snes9x, the same emulator in the RetroArch mod on the SNES Mini, for maximum compatibility.

Do be sure to always read any info or readme files accompanying any translations: it might contain useful information for patching.

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy as for the soccer game, I have a feeling that you are indeed mixing up consoles, because I wouldn't know what other soccer game it could be. I only came up with one other title that I forgot, namely Empire Soccer, but that probably isn't it either, and I'm not even sure if that was on the SNES, since I used to play that on the Amiga.

Lroy

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get a NES Mini Classic at some point down the road. I wondered if the modding process was as smooth as the SNES Mini using Hakchi2?

For example, can I just plug the NES Mini Classic into the same Laptop and run the same Hakchi2 software I used for my SNES Mini Classic?

Does the software allow you to swap in and out the NES/SNES minis and still be able to import your games for each system at will etc. simultaneously so to speak. Or is if preferred to use a different computer and a separate install of Halchi2 to keep the games libraries separate?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Edited on by Lroy

gcunit

@Lroy http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nes+mini+hakchi It works on both.

My NES mini arrived on Monday. Haven't modded it yet though.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy It does indeed work on both. You can see that in the hakchi menu, when you boot it up with the Mini connected: it'll offer a choice between SNES, NES, Famicom or Super Famicom.

BUT: if you have your game list and kernel file backup saved in your current hakchi2 folder, then it would be wise to make a new hakchi folder that's specifically for the NES Mini, with its own game list and backup, and run the mod from there.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX @gcunit Thanks fellas, I'm excited to get a NES Mini Classic later in the year. You can put ALL the NES games on this one correct? E.g. There isn't the same issues of space discussed previously about the SNES Mini? Is that right?

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy It has the same amount of flash memory, so if the entire NES collection of games isn't more than 400 - 450 MB, then it would fit and you would have more than enough space left for save slots, but I personally don''t think that it's necessary to put ALL NES games on there, since there's a lot of crap titles as well.

But at least you'll be able to put WAY more titles on there, since most ROMs are only a quarter of the size of a SNES ROM, at most. I've seen ROM's that don't even hit 200 KB.

I've got mine pre-ordered as well, almost a month ago already, and I'll only be putting the best titles on there. Will probably amount to 200 - 250 titles in all.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Cool, I was just thinking in this one instance it might just be easier to dump the whole set of NES games on there in one go and then not have to plug it into my computer ever again, lol! ☺️

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Yeah, I figured it was something like that.
Luckily, I've already done all that work years ago, of selecting and cleaning up my NES ROM collection, which I use on my PC, Wii, DS and DSi, so all I have to do, is copy that from one of these to the NES Mini.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Ah, a man well prepared. Do share any impressions and particular game highlights you have once you get your hands on your NES Mini Classic.

Unless Nintendo announce another Mini model coming for this year, I'll likely (stock dependent) pick mine up as a B'Day or Xmas gift.

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Sure, no problem. I'll be picking mine up in the first week of July, at least: if it arrived on time...

@DarthNocturnal You must want one REALLY badly...

Sorry, this topic has been locked.