Forums

Topic: SNES Mini

Posts 321 to 340 of 425

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel That is not against the rules, since I'm not linking to any sites. If that would be illegal, then so would the videos, and your fellow mods have already decided that these were okay, so I honestly don't understand the difference between them. And again: why not give me a heads up, or a warning if that's what you think is needed, instead of cutting up my comments without me knowing it? Now some of them make no sense anymore, and aren't even grammatically correct.

I always try to make my comments as coherent as possible, and ripping stuff out like that isn't really helping. I'm perfectly fine with the rules, so no problems with that at all, but a friendly (or a matter of fact) heads up so I can do something about it myself would be much more appreciated than what's happening now. Shouldn't be any more trouble than wading through people's texts and editing them. Or at least cross-reference it with your fellow mods, instead of going rogue on me...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

The rules also say we can decide what is and what's not going too far.

To me, sharing the names of sites is the same as linking to them. Just like how we remove the names of sites in spam messages. Because what's the point of removing a link if they still get the exposure.

So again, I'm asking you nicely to stop doing that. And to the other users here too, that includes Joey.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Joeynator3000

hisses at you like a Sanya

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel Well, that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, and thanks for being polite about it, but I hope you can also understand that I don't quite understand how my comments got reviewed and then restored by two other mods, to subsequently still be edited by another mod. It doesn't come across as a website/mod community that's very consistently applying the site rules.

If everyone can just interpret and apply them as they see fit, it could become kind of messy, and I'd actually expect the rules to just be the rules, without there being multiple ways of interpreting and applying them.

Now it seems like two mods are saying okay, and another is saying no. At my age, that's just too confusing at times...

Anyway, I'll get off your back now. I understand you're just trying to do what you feel is best, so that was never the issue for me. My annoyance, and my confusion, came about mainly because of the different judgments... (and no one likes to be judged two times in a row on one evening, )

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

Well, to be fair you started naming multiple sites and stuff after they reviewed and restored your big post.

I didn't touch that post.

Edit: and seeing the original post, Octane did leave out the paragraph where you directly name rom sites and packs.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Yosheel True, but that was because I was under the impression that they reviewed and approved of my comment. In the mean time, Octane has also mentioned to me that I'd better not name sites, so we're all on the same page now.

Fandabidozi

@ThanosReXXX
Awesome, thanks.
I do have save slots for Street Fighter II 😊

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Just wanted to say thanks again for offering anecdotal advice on the SNES Mini, you seem to have run into some censorship troubles for your efforts. No more need be said here. Chin up and hope you ok? 👍

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

ThanosReXXX

@Fandabidozi You're welcome

@Lroy Yeah, all water under the bridge now. I'm peachy...

Lroy

Looks like I may be picking up my Snes Mini Classic today! For those in the know, what 'hack' version is the one recommended. I noticed there is Hakchi2 and Hakchi2 CE? Thanks in advance.

Edited on by Lroy

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Hakchi2 CE? Never heard of that one, to be honest. I'd say Google it and look up the difference between the two. If it's a version that is modified by someone other than the official hakchi2 team, I would definitely not recommend using it. A Mini can also be bricked, so in that case, you'd better be more than a 100% sure.

For starters, simply get the most recent version of the standard version, and play around with that, so you get familiar with the process. You can always repeat the process again later on. I myself have updated my Mini three times, in order to let it have the most recent version of the hack.

Just go to those videos I linked to, and if you visit their actual YouTube page, all the info you'll need will be there in the descriptions underneath the videos.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX This is the written mod guide and website I have found. They seem to be suggesting as of this month Hakchi CE is the way to go?

no sharing links please...-Joey

Edited on by Joeynator3000

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy That's not the official hack site. The ONLY official one is in the description of those videos, like I said. No offense, but why go and look for something else when the information is already there?

And it is as I suspected:
"The developer of hakchi2, Cluster, took a break for a few months after developing hakchi2 and during this period a team of developers created a fork of hakchi2, called hakchi2 CE, that introduced a lot new features and fixes."

So, it's not official, is done without consent of the original programmer, and says to offer new features and fixes, but strangely fails to mention exactly what those fixes are.

I'd strongly advice you to stick to the original hack, which is more than fine and offers 100% compatibility when combined with the RetroArch mod, so there is really no need for an even more advanced hack, if it even is better....

I'm certainly not going to use it, and it actually only sounds more complicated than the original, so I'm going to stick with what I have. But ultimately, it's up to you, of course, so if you want to try it, then that's your decision, but I don't know the ins and outs of this fork of the original hack, so if for some reason you run into a problem, I wouldn't be able to help you. I can only help with what I know works.

So, just go back to page 19, to where the videos are, and select to view them on YouTube itself, and you'll find all you need in the details underneath the video.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Cheers for the response buddy. Will do as you advised... when I get the time. Getting ahead of myself a bit. Got my daughter's birthday to organise and enjoy this weekend as it is, lol! But be ace once I have it all set-up. Like @NaviandMii mentioned on the Adult Switch Gamers thread, be super cool to compare eachother's select SNES libraries - some shared classics and personal faves no doubt as well potential to unearth a hitherto underplayed gem.

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy No problem man, my pleasure.

As for game recommendations: well, I did already recommend such a gem on the previous page: I posted a video of Iron Commando, one of the best side scrolling beat em ups on the system, so if you like that type of game, you might want to give that one a try...

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX I absolutely will be giving IRON COMMANDO a try, exactly my sort of game. In fact, it looked and seemed so familiar to me. Did this ever get a UK release back in the day? Could've sworn I played it round a mate's house. You know the type, the rich kid who owned multiple SNES machines from different regions and had all sorts of then totally obscure games. Used to rock-up at his house quite regularly, lol! But he seemed to have a lot of import stuff from the States and I read that IRON COMMANDO has only recently been released in North America.

Edited on by Lroy

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Well, if he played imports, he could probably also play Japanese games, and Iron Commando is a Japanese game. But regardless of that, it's quite easy to play, as only the intro/story text is in Japanese. The menu screen and game itself are in English.

So, he either had a JAP import cartridge, or it was another game entirely, because it has indeed only been released in the US.

Lroy

Just spent a bit more time with my new SNES Mini and first impressions already confirm that I'm really happy with it. Set-up was easy, just plug and play and off you go.

I did get some weird message on my TV saying the USB device settings may not be correct? Perhaps this is because I plugged the USB direct into my Sony Bravia and this is a generic message? Image and sound worked fine, although the message does appear each time I turn the SNES Mini system on? Perhaps I need to try the other USB port on my TV?

Anyway, the thing that stuck me most was the genuine joy of nostalgia. Holding the controller and looking at the little replica SNES and the game artwork, especially arranged by release year is just a wonderfully inspiring reverie of my gaming childhood.

I can and have emulated a lot of these pre-installed games on other devices, hence like I said before, I'd doubted whether I 'needed' another box and cables to stick under the telly but all those reservations have already disappeared. I just really like the feel of playing these Super Nintendo games on the SNES Mini.

Much to my surprise, I'm also finding that most of the time, the CRT Filter (much maligned in some quarters of the Internet) is actually the most appealing to my eyes, even on a 50inch HD LCD TV. There have been a couple of games I think looked nicer to me using the 4:3 filter but overall, the CRT despite not really being true to how the image looked on a real old fashioned tube TV just feels the closest to what I'm after.

Only real negative so far is the fact the controller cables are too short for me (already orders some extensions) and that I have to access the menu but getting up and hitting reset. That point alone will be enough for me to mod the system in order to make that a 'quick key' shortcut on the actual controller.

But for now, going to keep having a little play on the pre-installed roster until I have time to sit down a study a few guides on how to add more games.

For anyone out there who is still on the fence about getting a SNES Mini, I'd say it makes the perfect treat for Father's Day, so get dropping those hints 😜

I was supposed to be waiting until the Autumn to receive mine as a B'Day gift but the good lady having now seen me with it, has said I can just have it right away as an 'I love you' treat. Result!!!

Edited on by Lroy

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Yeah, completely agreed on that CRT filter. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but no real SNES ever had crisp HD graphics, much less a "pixel perfect" mode, so that simply leaves the CRT filter as the only choice, and it does indeed instill just that tiny bit more nostalgia than just playing them in the default mode.

Got some extension cables myself as well, and the default reset button combo, thanks to the hakchi mod, works perfectly. No getting up from the couch anymore. But I did want to stick with the cables, because wireless controllers simply break the immersion of playing SNES games on a "real" SNES for me personally. But that's just my opinion...

Oh, and try and see how quick you're able to unlock that Star Fox 2 game. For that to happen, you'll need to get past the first level in the original Star Fox game, and that is where you'll once again become aware that these old games were in some respects far harder than a lot of games are now. But keep at it, and you'll unlock the other Star Fox game, which by the way, is definitely worth playing, even after all those years...

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Maybe for practiced players, and people that are used to playing retro games. I never had the original SNES, so both the controller and the game took some getting used to for me. But I managed..

Sorry, this topic has been locked.