Forums

Topic: Should I buy 007 GoldenEye for the N64?

Posts 21 to 34 of 34

That_Guy_from_Faxana

On the surface the new game looks like Goldeneye... but it´s not. They´ve got the rights to make a game with the name, but not to use the actual leveldesign of Rare´s game. It´ll be mediocre just like every other James bond game after the N64 game.

So... get the N64 game. Then get a RAM expansion and Perfect Dark, the multiplayer kicks till this day.

Edited on by theblackdragon

That_Guy_from_Faxana

hatty475

Okay, just to clear things up, I already own a N64 with two controllers. The $45 is for two more controllers and a copy of GoldenEye. Then I would have everything I need to fully enjoy the game.

irken004 wrote:

Buy both if you can!

I'd love to but I have to save up for Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword, and the 3DS and all the games to come with that. Not to mention that I only have two Wii-Motes and 1 Classic Controller, so that's $20 more for 2 players, and $60 more for 3 players.

WaveBoy wrote:

make sure you get an S-Video Cable and play it on a CRT SDTV.

I play the N64 with a normal composite video on an LCD Flat screen.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think the original is the winner, but I'm going to wait for a bit to see if the Wii version is as bad as it sounds. Not many of my friends have an Nintendo 64 so bringing GoldenEye over to play would be kind of hard to do. I also want to see how the other multiplayer maps look. Time will tell.

Beethoven was right when he said it don't come easy.
Currently Learning: Electric Guitar
Bad Wolf

hatty475

Okay, just to clear things up, I already own a N64 with two controllers. The $45 is for two more controllers and a copy of GoldenEye. Then I would have everything I need to fully enjoy the game.

irken004 wrote:

Buy both if you can!

I'd love to but I have to save up for Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword, and the 3DS and all the games to come with that. Not to mention that I only have two Wii-Motes and 1 Classic Controller, so that's $20 more for 2 players, and $60 more for 3 players.

WaveBoy wrote:

make sure you get an S-Video Cable and play it on a CRT SDTV.

I play the N64 with a normal composite video on an LCD Flat screen.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think the original is the winner, but I'm going to wait for a bit to see if the Wii version is as bad as it sounds. Not many of my friends have an Nintendo 64 so bringing GoldenEye over to play would be kind of hard to do. I also want to see how the other multiplayer maps look. Time will tell.

Beethoven was right when he said it don't come easy.
Currently Learning: Electric Guitar
Bad Wolf

brooks83

Hmm, 45 for two controllers and Goldeneye isn't too bad. Basically 15 a piece. If you shopped around you could probably find a better deal, but if you want it now I would say go for it.

brooks83

ejamer

The one other thing to consider is that N64 has other good multiplayer games (even though the library was terribly small) that might help justify the investment. Some of my favorite multiplayer titles include:

• Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Perfect Dark
  • BattleTanx
  • Mario Party
  • Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
  • The New Tetris
  • Gauntlet Legends

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

SuperPeach

I saw Perfect dark at a store for 5 bucks. I should've bought it.

SuperPeach

kevohki

Get it. Graphics look like **** but it's still fun as hell to play, especially with 3 friends.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

JebbyDeringer

Yeah get it. The graphics don't hold up well on modern HD screens but they still look pretty decent on an older ones like my 14" Commodore RGB monitor. S-video is a big improvement over composite. I still play the game occasionally and in fact a few months ago I was working on playing through all over again. There is a lot to do in the game and it's one of those games that keeps you coming back. Every difficulty level has new challenges and there are tons of cheats that are fun to unlock and they are spread out over different difficulty levels. Some of them are quite challenging and require speed runs through levels while still meeting the objectives. Some prefer Perfect Dark but I find I prefer the less futuristic setting despite the improved graphics and larger variety of weaponry. As a multiplayer game it wins out but I much prefer the Goldeneye single player.

JebbyDeringer

skyerunner23

What MickeyMac said. Besides where I live here in the U.S. it's much more than "dirt cheap". It costs atleast 20 dollars which is bullcrap.

psn: Skyerunner

Chrono_Cross

What Sumba and MickeyMac said.

If you can find it get it.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

J_K

Jerry's right about HDTV and N64. The system is unique in that it looks in quite a few games fairly bad. Some people were totally lazy, used the old scanlines of tube tvs to cheat and smooth up graphics or dither images. HDtvs can't tell it's a cheat, so you get the original image and often things look very speckly, blotchy, off colors, and in some cases (like the still images in the Rogue Squadron menus that rotate) they get scanlined to death with one line in, one out. Also in that game too dark stages (night on planets) the lighting is broken on HD sets so you can't see the ground at all and you end up eating wall a lot. Mind you, it's less games than more, and others look very sharp and nice, and I guess it depends how people used the hardware. If they were honest and didn't cut out lines or used poor tv resolution to smooth images or sharpen edges for them the games look slick line on a N64 emualtor in higher res, but if they cheated you can loose clarity, edges, lighting effects, or just missing graphics.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

J_K

I didn't like the multiplayer either, but the main game was just simply fantastic and totally replayable per stage or all the way through.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.