Forums

Topic: Pre-Order Page is now up for 7800 Expansion Module

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

7th_lutz

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=...

The pre-order page was delayed until today, September 20th. The full payment page for the module is up. There should be a half payment page the module soon.

The methods of payment allowed are the following:

Mail in Check
Mail in Money Order
eCheck
Visa/Mastercard/Discovery/Amex

Legacy Engineering Group don't take paypal. The company got burned over $5,000 in lost revenue a few years back thanks to paypal.

Currently Legacy Engineering Group is planning ship the pre-order systems on November 30th.

Edited on by 7th_lutz

7th_lutz

Corbs

What does this unit do? I tend to stick with the Atari 2600 and XEGS for my Atari fixes.

Plain old gamer :)

7th_lutz

The Expansion Module works for all Atari 7800 consoles include Pal Atari 7800 units.

Here is the info amount the expansion Module that I am aware of in information about the system without mentioning games:
Built in High Score keeping capability (compatible with approx 20 existing titles and any HSC coded games/programs in the future)
128K of Program Available Memory
POKEY audio/interfacing IC Chip for enhanced audio/voice synthesis and I/O Interfacing capabilities.
2nd Audio Processor for higher end Arcade sound effects and music. The 2nd Audio Processor is a YM2151
SIO (Serial I/O) Port for potential future use of Atari 8bit computer peripherals such as Disk Drives, Printers and Modems.
15 PIN Port for potential future use with a detachable computer keyboard.
Will come professionally boxed in original Silver styled "Atari XL" type box with extensive User Guide and Technical Data manuals.
Cartridge Port on top to allow all 2600/7800 cartridges to plug onto the unit to play games/programs.

There is at least 3 game developers that are working games for the Atari 7800 Expansion Module. The only game revealed so far is a a top down dungeon crawler called Dungeon!.

Edited on by 7th_lutz

7th_lutz

7th_lutz

Corbie wrote:

What does this unit do? I tend to stick with the Atari 2600 and XEGS for my Atari fixes.

The games designed for the Atari 7800 expansion unit have an easier time to have features that a normal Atari 7800 wouldn't because the expansion module has an easier time control the Atari 78000's graphic chip in graphic cycles. The Graphic Chip the Atari 7800 has eats up a lot of money for developing a game.

The Unit has a sound chip that a lot of arcade games from Atari , Capcom, Konami, Namco and Sega. used called Ym2151. The unit is able to do arcade perfect sound from arcade games such as Marble Madness, Jackel and other arcade games that were from 1984 and rest of the 1980's. The sound Chip the unit has also was used in a Sharp X68000 home computers.

The additional ram the unit has over the 7800 allows the system have an easier time to doing Nes Style game, and arcade games from the mid to late 1980's.

The unit is able is able to use computer accessories like the keyboard. Those accessories was stuff that the Atari 7800 was designed for before Jack Tramiel bought Atari had cancel the computer accessories for the Atari 7800 and changed the design of the Atari 7800 in terms of having an expansion port to use a keyboard.

While the Atari 7800 was 2600 compatible, not all Atari 2600 cartridges fit including imagic's cartridges. The Atari 7800 Expansion Module address that issues.

Edited on by 7th_lutz

7th_lutz

7th_lutz

I forgot to mention that any game that have High Score capability will immediately be enabled when using the module, new games that take advantage of all of the ram, or audio chips or both will have major enhancements.

7th_lutz

Corbs

Hmmm might have to check this out. Give me a good reason to dig out the 7800 anyway. Thanks for the info.

Plain old gamer :)

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.