Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 81 to 100 of 643

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

81. Posted:

OK, I just read that Mario vs DK is similar to Donkey Kong '94. Should I get it instead?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

82. Posted:

StarFox wrote:

OK, I just read that Mario vs DK is similar to Donkey Kong '94. Should I get it instead?

No, because Donkey Kong '94 is a much better game, and not really similar to Mario Vs. DK at all.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

83. Posted:

Thanks.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_K

84. Posted:

Well I may have just bought these 3 today but I had most of them a good long time ago for the GBA and I know they're potent recommendations:
-Megaman & Bass
-Mario Kart Super Circuit
-Gradius Galaxies

M&B was highly unique, also one of the hardest of the classic line of MM titles. Very well animated, 2 players to use and each with their own style making some collectables only got by one and some stages easier or harder with who you use...also saves, no lame passwords. Mario Kart really truly was the last of the undeniably solid fun MK games before they got slack, made rubber banding AI that cheats, and a hit/miss level of good to boring tracks. Gradius that one just is unique, a bit hard, and probably not advisable on a GB due to tight areas and teeny bullets but on a GB Player it's up there with the good classic line of numbered titles.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

85. Posted:

Should i get the snes cart of Chrono trigger for $75 (plus membership bonuses and such, $50) or just get the ds version?

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

86. Posted:

turtlelink wrote:

Should i get the snes cart of Chrono trigger for $75 (plus membership bonuses and such, $50) or just get the ds version?

Get the DS version. It's cheaper, and its the same game with a bunch of extras that you can take or leave as you please. Only get the SNES version if you entend to sell it, because that's really all the value it has left.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_K

87. Posted:

Unless you're some rabid collector with deep pockets, go with the DS as it's like $20 now, and it has a few little non-hosing upgrades as I think the lower screen is used as a little map now which is a bit of a help.

I know a local ad selling a stack over 20 SNES games (CT, FF3, and SoMana) are in it for $75. I'm grueling over grabbing that lot, keeping FF3 and SOM and selling pretty much all the rest because I could get 2 or so fun ones and at the worst break even. :D

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

88. Posted:

[quote=J.K.]I know a local ad selling a stack over 20 SNES games (CT, FF3, and SoMana) are in it for $75. I'm grueling over grabbing that lot, keeping FF3 and SOM and selling pretty much all the rest because I could get 2 or so fun ones and at the worst break even. :D

[/quote]

You lucky son of a gun! I hate you now.:(

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

89. Posted:

Should I get the Super Scope? The only 90s TV I have left is a portable one sitting by my computer.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mecoy

90. Posted:

hey should i get a nes or a dreamcast

mecoy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_K

91. Posted:

Hate not...I didn't go for it. I don't really 'need' those games again as I had them years ago, and I'm diddling around on my GBA of all things and the PSP at the moment too. DQ9 as of tomorrow when it pops out, and i'm going to Frys for it as it'll be I think $33 instead of $40 hehehe. :D

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

92. Posted:

I looked for Earthbound, but all I can find is a $90 minimum. Good grief.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

93. Posted:

Yeah Earthbound is going to cost you cause its a niche game. The game wasnt very popular in America thus they didnt produce alot of copies and those who have it arent parting with it easily for that reason. Lucky for me I still have my original copy that came with the strategy guide and everything I still have the scratch n sniff stickers too lol.

The only thing I can suggest is if you dont want to spend the money just find a ROM for it online and run it in an emulator.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

94. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

The only thing I can suggest is if you dont want to spend the money just find a ROM for it online and run it in an emulator.

Which reminds me: when the hell is Nintendo gonna take that advice?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

95. Posted:

Not into Shmups, but I had HellFire for the Mega Drive and loved it!

I hope it gets on the VC one day. :(

Edit: Not many people I know have heard of it, is it rare?

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

96. Posted:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Not into Shmups, but I had HellFire for the Mega Drive and loved it!

I hope it gets on the VC one day. :(

I can't wait until I can finally play it on my Sega Genesis. Seriously, I just checked, it goes for as much as a VC game, minus the waiting.:P

And yes, it is Rare, but stupidly cheap since on one has ever heard of it. Ah yes, and both the developer and publisher are both gone now, the former split into no less that 4 different companies (and went on to become some of the best shmup developers ever), so its chances of it coming to the VC are remarkably slim.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

97. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

I can't wait until I can finally play it on my Sega Genesis. Seriously, I just checked, it goes for as much as a VC game, minus the waiting.:P

And yes, it is Rare, but stupidly cheap since on one has ever heard of it.

Damn...still have it somewhere as well as Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker! D:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lost gem. :(

Edit: Damn...that sucks...what are the chances, eh?

OT: I also remember you. We had a discussion in the old VC Forums. See you doing well here. :)

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

98. Posted:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I can't wait until I can finally play it on my Sega Genesis. Seriously, I just checked, it goes for as much as a VC game, minus the waiting.:P

And yes, it is Rare, but stupidly cheap since on one has ever heard of it.

Damn...still have it somewhere as well as Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker! D:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lost gem. :(

Edit: Damn...that sucks...what are the chances, eh?

OT: I also remember you. We had a discussion in the old VC Forums. See you doing well here. :)

Oh cool, high again. It's been a while ain't it? I kinda miss the old days though.

Anywho, yeah, Hellfire is a forgotten classic on the Genesis, sadly enough. One of many undeservedly but deliciously underrated shooters on the system.

And thanks to that dreadful thing called time, a lot of VC games are having difficulty coming to the VC thanks to dead publishers and broken developers, leaving the games in a form of legislative limbo that rarely gets resolved. Ninty's trying their best, but sadly I'm afraid many an old favorite from the past will remain in the past. At least for now.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

99. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Oh cool, high again. It's been a while ain't it? I kinda miss the old days though.

Anywho, yeah, Hellfire is a forgotten classic on the Genesis, sadly enough. One of many undeservedly but deliciously underrated shooters on the system.

And thanks to that dreadful thing called time, a lot of VC games are having difficulty coming to the VC thanks to dead publishers and broken developers, leaving the games in a form of legislative limbo that rarely gets resolved. Ninty's trying their best, but sadly I'm afraid many an old favorite from the past will remain in the past. At least for now.

Yeah, I've been around other forums and such whilst checking here for news. :)

It's pretty sad really. That some of these games will be lost in transmission because of companies going bankrupt. :(

Ah well, at least we know that the game exists. :)

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_K

100. Posted:

I thought rom and emulator talk was a good mod nazi way to get banned right quick which is why I've been dodging the issue. I don't promote the stuff, barely use it anymore, and usually out of laziness of not wanting to dig up a cart. I'd suggest trying a lot before going to a retro shop or online to buy stuff but wanted to play it safe.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/