Forums

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Posts 781 to 792 of 792

Knighty_IX

@Cobalt Already got Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, it's arguably my favorite entry despite how much it deviates from other entries. Not sure about Musashi: Samurai Legend, read/watched some reviews that were mostly negative about it but I plan to start with Brave Fencer Musashi for the PS1 first and I'll consider looking into the sequel later. Blood Will Tell looks like a fun game, but it might take a while for me to get due to its high price.

Thanks for your help.

Vinny

How are Ape Escape 2 and 3 for the PS2?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RedderRugfish

@Vinny I've heard they're excellent, though I have yet to play either (still gotta get the original first).

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Vinny

@ReaderRagfish The only game in the series I've played a bit of was the PSP version of the original (On the Loose), but it seems it's kinda different from the original since they reworked the controls to take account of the single analog stick.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Gingerbomb

Glover for the Nintendo 64. It's graphics... I guess were on par with Kazzooie.
Its playstyle was unique, sometimes infuriating. It deserved a series of game releases after the initial title for sure.
FYI I'd die to smack some fools around as Glover on Melee.

Gingerbomb

gcunit

I'm looking for SNES recommendations for games suitable for young kids (one's 7,
one's nearing 5), especially 2-player games they can play simultaneously.

We're going on a trip soon and I'm thinking of taking my SNES Mini as a bad weather boredom backup for them. I have a set of SNES roms, but I'm not that familiar with the library.

(Gonna give this thread a shot, but if it doesn't reap rewards I may start a more specific, short-term thread).

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BougieBeetle

Have you tried Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie (AKA Magical Quest 2)? Really solid 2-player simultaneous co-op platformer that's designed to be easy enough for kids. I played it a lot with siblings and friends as a kid. If they like that you can get the fan translation of the J-only Magical Quest 3 starring Mickey and Donald. Incidentally, Magical Quest 1 is single player, sadly.

Of course classics like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World are in the conversation. They might be too young for aggressive action games like Contra 3 or King of Dragons but those are great for co-op too. Goof Troop and Secret of Mana are good as well but may be too complicated for them.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

gcunit

@BougieBeetle Magical Quest 2 is certainly new to me, and from a quick view on Youtube I'd agree, it does look like a very solid classic 90s platformer - I'll defo give that one a shot - thanks.

More suggestions welcome.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

RedderRugfish

@gcunit NBA Jam would probably be really good. Very fun basketball game with more emphasis on arcade gameplay than realism.

Super Bomberman is also a good choice. It has both a co op mode and a battle mode. Bomberman is really simple and fun, pretty much anyone can enjoy it (even my mom).

Super Mario Kart might be good too. If they've played the more modern ones they might be too spoiled but I still enjoyed it as a kid who had Mario Kart 64 playing on my cousin's SNES.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Tasuki

@gcunit Joe and Mac would be a great one, I had alot of fun with that one when I was a kid with my brother.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic