Forums

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Posts 701 to 720 of 736

Cobalt

@Frosty_09

BOF Dragon Quarter
Musashi
Blood will Tell

If you don't know these games, FIND'EM and PLAY'EM !

Cobalt

Vinny

How are Ape Escape 2 and 3 for the PS2?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Vinny

@ReaderRagfish The only game in the series I've played a bit of was the PSP version of the original (On the Loose), but it seems it's kinda different from the original since they reworked the controls to take account of the single analog stick.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

Gingerbomb

Glover for the Nintendo 64. It's graphics... I guess were on par with Kazzooie.
Its playstyle was unique, sometimes infuriating. It deserved a series of game releases after the initial title for sure.
FYI I'd die to smack some fools around as Glover on Melee.

Gingerbomb

gcunit

I'm looking for SNES recommendations for games suitable for young kids (one's 7,
one's nearing 5), especially 2-player games they can play simultaneously.

We're going on a trip soon and I'm thinking of taking my SNES Mini as a bad weather boredom backup for them. I have a set of SNES roms, but I'm not that familiar with the library.

(Gonna give this thread a shot, but if it doesn't reap rewards I may start a more specific, short-term thread).

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

BougieBeetle

Have you tried Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie (AKA Magical Quest 2)? Really solid 2-player simultaneous co-op platformer that's designed to be easy enough for kids. I played it a lot with siblings and friends as a kid. If they like that you can get the fan translation of the J-only Magical Quest 3 starring Mickey and Donald. Incidentally, Magical Quest 1 is single player, sadly.

Of course classics like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World are in the conversation. They might be too young for aggressive action games like Contra 3 or King of Dragons but those are great for co-op too. Goof Troop and Secret of Mana are good as well but may be too complicated for them.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

gcunit

@BougieBeetle Magical Quest 2 is certainly new to me, and from a quick view on Youtube I'd agree, it does look like a very solid classic 90s platformer - I'll defo give that one a shot - thanks.

More suggestions welcome.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tasuki

@gcunit Joe and Mac would be a great one, I had alot of fun with that one when I was a kid with my brother.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

gracjanski

Here are a lot of recommendations for NES games for example:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings?platform=41&...
The best Top list in my view, also for other consoles.
I played about 30 NES games, they are very enjoyable even today and Crystalis ist the last one. I already started Genesis games and many are great. The next console will ne SNES/ Super Famicom.

Edited on by gracjanski

gracjanski

Vinny

What would you guys say the is best version of Turrican II overall:

• Amiga
  • DOS
  • Commodore 64

SCOTTNES

On the Switch Eshop they have the arcade versions of:
Donkey Kong
Mario Bros (Two Players)

It comes under Arcade Archive then the names of both games, if anyone wants to play the arcade roms.

I also recommend Kiki Kai Kai And Goemon, which are two Japanese Famicom Disk system games which have been localised into English. It’s again under the Arcade Archive name.

If you type in Neogeo there are plenty of games on the eshop for thoese retro titles too.

Edited on by SCOTTNES

NINTENDO

kerr9000

Tasuki wrote:

@gcunit Joe and Mac would be a great one, I had alot of fun with that one when I was a kid with my brother.

Theres a good Legal Multi Cart from Retro Bit which is all 3 Joe and Mac games on one cart which you can get for around 20quid.

kerr9000

faint

I’m playing Romancing Saga 2 (switch eshop) right now. It took a few hours to wrap my head around, but now that I have I’m really enjoying it.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Tasuki

@kerr9000 I suggest looking at the whole conversation next time.

First of that conversation was from a year ago. Second how exactly to you play a cartridge on a SNES Classic?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

kerr9000

Oh I caught the wrong end of the stick, I thought we were on about a proper SNES. I also thought adding to a conversation might be nice as it's how forums tend to keep going..

You can get SNES cart adaptors which have a usb connection so I'd imagine it's possible to use these with a SNES mini if someone's done a little programing for it.

Still I will leave it here seeing as my inputs not wanted.

kerr9000

Zuljaras

I can highly recommend 2 retro games that nobody talks about:

1. NES - Faxanadu. This is one of the best hidden gems on the NES. It is very exploration heavy game. The graphics and the soundtrack are also amazing!

2. Mega Drive / Genesis - Bram Stoker's Dracula - This is one of my favorite games as a child! Very good graphics. It is not very well regarded EVEN if someone heard it but for me the game is not about the perfect gameplay but the perfect atmosphere.

Also the soundtrack is ONE OF THE BEST I have heard!

But I WANT you do not play the SNES version. The soundtrack there is TERRIBLE! The Sega version is 100% better!

Vinny

What are some good 90's games (simulation or arcade) with licensed cars?

jak1one

Can someone recommend me good game boy color games? No ports or remakes, just exclusives. I currently own wario land 2/3, game & watch galler 2/3, kirby tilt n tumble, mario golf, mario tennis, pokemon crystal and the zelda oracles

jak1one

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic