Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 621 to 640 of 641

AuthorMessage

philipreeves

621. Posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/backlitgameboyadvance/
anyone interested in these Gameboy advance originals with backlit screens?

philipreeves

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

622. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Well I believe that the Wii VC has Final Fantasy, Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III on the VC. Just be aware that Final Fantasy II is actually FF IV and FF III is actually FF VI. But those are the best version and probably the cheapest.

On the handheld front you can get Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls which is FF and FF2 on the GBA As well as FF IV and VI on the GBA as well. Also Final Fantasy III (This is the Japanese III not the same one on the Super Nintendo or Wii VC labeled as III) was available on the DS as well.

That should get you started for now.

Final Fantasy II SNES is the Easy Type Version.

The best version is the PSP Final Fantasy IV - Complete Collection (The bit in the middle makes the After Years much less grinding as well).

Ideally the original Japanese versions retranslated would be available sadly they are not.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage

HYDRA413

623. Posted:

Can you help me out choosing between theses games on 3DS VC:
Shantae
WL 3
Castlevania 1 2 3
Ninja Gaiden 1 2 3
Super C
Mega Man Xtreme 1 2
Mario Bros (Arcade)
Double Dragon 1 2
Tails Adventure
Sonic Labyrinth

HYDRA413

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

624. Posted:

@HYDRA413
Castlevania 3 or Super C.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

625. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

@HYDRA413

Super C is rubbish on the 3DS (I have the XL even) the bullets are too small. The game itself is not even that good.

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

626. Posted:

HYDRA413 wrote:

Can you help me out choosing between theses games on 3DS VC:
Shantae
WL 3
Castlevania 1 2 3
Ninja Gaiden 1 2 3
Super C
Mega Man Xtreme 1 2
Mario Bros (Arcade)
Double Dragon 1 2
Tails Adventure
Sonic Labyrinth

Shantae or Castlevania 3. (Don't bother with the DSiware Shantae though it is totally watered down and short).

AuthorMessage

Lafosse64

627. Posted:

If i have to recomend retro gaming to anyone... then go to ebay, buy a Dreamcast and get a copy of Sword of the Berserk Gut's Rage. I know what im telling ya.

Gamer since 1990

3DS Friend Code: 2767-0193-6295 | Nintendo Network ID: Lafosse64 | Twitter: CuentosDeLaFoxy

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

628. Posted:

Shantae was probably the best game on the GBC. I highly recommend it.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage

R_Champ

629. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Shantae was probably the best game on the GBC. I highly recommend it.

I just recently finished this game and I agree, for $5 this game is a great choice. It's probably the closest thing any of us will get to a great 2D Zelda. It can be a little tedious going between the same areas multiple times, but worth it for the rest of this great game.

I'd also suggest Phantasy Star IV (if you're into classic JRPGs). During an era where everyone was drooling over Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc. this obscure gem passed through existence without making a lot of noise...but it's ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite JRPGs and worth at least looking into. Plus it's easy to find: Xbox/PS3 Sega collections, Wii Virtual console, and the original Genesis cartridge (what I originally played it on).

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

630. Posted:

I still hold that the Monster World series are the best Zelda II-like games by a country mile, but Shantae's good stuff. Since Monster World isn't on 3DS VC, of course that comes recommended.

Also, I never actually played Phantasy Star IV. I always said I'd wait until I was done with Phantasy Star I-III...which in retrospect was madness, since Phantasy Star II is horrible, III is boring as hell, and as much as I hold Phantasy Star I to be the best 8-RPG ever, I actually never finished it, and I probably never will since I can't remember what I was doing and I'd probably have to start all over again, which could potentially ruin the experience.

...but I really don't want to play IV until I'm familiar with the rest of the series...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

631. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still hold that the Monster World series is the best Zelda II-like game by a country mile.

Gotta put this one out as well.
Untitled

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

632. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

@HYDRA413

You would be better off getting Contra 4 on the DS it has both Contra and Super C and its relatively cheap.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

633. Posted:

^And has Super C on it, albeit in a barely playable state...

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

634. Posted:

I've never played either Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. I'm past the halfway mark in Wind Waker HD and have found it to be a significant improvement on Ocarina of Time, so I'm curious to try my hand at some of the other 3D Zeldas. Which would people recommend? And is Twilight Princess better on the Wii or Gamecube?

CanisWolfred wrote:

^And has Super C on it, albeit in a barely playable state...

The two NES Contra games on Contra 4 were highly playable. They're the reason I've still never bothered downloading Super C for my 3DS.

Edited on by Ralizah

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

635. Posted:

I preferred Twilight Princess on the Gamecube rather than the Wii. I got tired of constantly waggling my Wiimote after a while.

EDIT: And I used to hear nonstop about the supposed "poor" emulation of the NES Contras in Contra 4, but now I'm reading some reviews and most say it's spot on except for the 2-player mode.

I didn't even know Contra had a Two player mode...

Damn, now I gotta beat Contra 4 so I can save myself $50...

EDIT: Oh Who am I kidding? I'll never beat stage 4...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

636. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I preferred Twilight Princess on the Gamecube rather than the Wii. I got tired of constantly waggling my Wiimote after a while.

EDIT: And I used to hear nonstop about the supposed "poor" emulation of the NES Contras in Contra 4, but now I'm reading some reviews and most say it's spot on except for the 2-player mode.

I didn't even know Contra had a Two player mode...

Damn, now I gotta beat Contra 4 so I can save myself $50...

That's what I was afraid of. I HATE motion controls. I'll tolerate them in some games if they're done well (Super Mario Galaxy, for example), but in most games they're just a nuisance.

Yeah, the games play great. I mean, as great as they did on the NES, at least. The screen is smaller, obviously, so it is more difficult to see the bullets and whatnot. I never had any problem with it, though.

You have to complete the challenges to get all the good stuff. I couldn't resist 100%ing the game when I got it. Some of those challenges were a female dog, though. :P The pacifism challenges were the hardest. Contra levels are hard when you're already slaughtering everything in your path: can you imagine what it's like completing a level without killing anything?

AuthorMessage

Ramming

637. Posted:

I have a 31 in 1 game meant for nes, however it has a blue ribbon and is in I believe Japanese writing on the back, and says made in Taiwan, the English copy of this game has a greyish blue ribbon, does anyone know anything about this game, worth? How many are there out there? I have researched and cannot find anything about it. If someone could help me out with their knowledge that would be greatly appreciated

Ramming

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

638. Posted:

Those multi-in-one carts were usually bootlegs. It might cost a lot or absolutely nothing. Depends on whether or not the buyer is a crazy person.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Yoshi_Prime

639. Posted:

Rocket Power: Beach Bandits. Now I know what you're thinking: this game sucks. Yes, it totally does, but it's absolutely one of the most hilarious games I've ever seen. If you can play this entire game without laughing, you're a soulless human being. Just look at two - count them, two! - expressions in the game. Look at how you can make them float if you jump quick enough! I would definitely pick it up in some $10 or less bargain bin to experience a day when someone thought that plot was okay to run.

Also Geist and Second Sight.

Edited on by Yoshi_Prime

Yoshi_Prime

Twitter: Generation_Rust

AuthorMessage

Radmax

640. Posted:

philipreeves wrote:

https://sites.google.com/site/backlitgameboyadvance/
anyone interested in these Gameboy advance originals with backlit screens?

I like it!
Batteries or charger?

Radmax