Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 561 to 580 of 636

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

561. Posted:

@8BitSamurai
Awesome! This particular Japan exclusive tends to spring up on eBay every once in a while. Also, I'm probably going to replace my Black GBA SP with an indigo GBA which is what i previously had years ago during it's launch. I don't know, i was never really crazy over the SP's cheap clam shell'no frills' design. The back light is great and all, but it just doesn't quite look nintendo...PLUS it doesn't even have a head phone jack. That's where an adapter comes in, which basically turns your the SP into a sega-like concoction. lol

@KeeperBvK
The NA releases came in a variety of different colors, but i'd rather opt for the Classic retro look. Actually, it's more of a replacement if anything. The only sole reason to even keep the original Brick GB is purely out of nostalgia. The monochrome pea soup contrast adjusting PQ wasn't exactly pleasing to the eyes even then, and the horrible nasty motion smearing made for one messy experience On-the-go. :P I can't stand playing GB games on it, besides the sound doesn't even work on it anymore.

I do have a Gameboy Color....but in all honesty i don't want it. I'd rather go for the Pocket and get that vintage GB look. It beats out the original by offering a slimmer compact build, less motion blur and black & white visuals.

@ogo79
What Repro based sites do you recommend? And have you played New Ghostbusters II? Crazy, that it was actually developed by HAL of all people. Turns out it along with GB on the genesis(Which i rented back in ze' 90's)were the best GB games of the poopy retro lot. Never cared for the first(Heck, who did!?), or it's frustrating near impossible sequel on the NES. :P

Untitled

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

ogo79

562. Posted:

@WaveBoy
never played ghost busters 2, as for the sites, i dont know about putting them on here but there are several ive dealt with. most of my games are not repros though. as for timewalk, there changing their name and they are up to something bigger than repros they claim. im sure it has to do with that ducktales gold edition they did...too bad you dont get on aim or anything, i could point you to a lot of people to go to

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

KingMike

563. Posted:

I think ActRaiser was a pretty good game, especially for being (practically) a launch game.
Sure the individual game modes could use some expansion (sure the second game fleshed out the action gameplay, but it took out the sim mode which took away a lot of the charm.
Well, I also only played a bit of the second as I recall the control needed a bit of work. They could've improved the double jump and diving by maybe adding Up/Down to distinguish the two commands.

HAL also made the Game Boy Ghostbusters II which was released in America and is similar to NGB2.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

564. Posted:

Ok so I am thinking of getting my Dreamcast collection started and am needing some suggestions. The only games I have are Shenmu and Sonic Adventures. I have Skies of Arcadia on Gamecube so I dont need that one either. Other then that I am open to any suggestions.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

565. Posted:

@Tasuki
Crazy Taxi ;)

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

566. Posted:

Starting to collect some retro games in anticipation for the Retron 5. Can anybody recommend me some import-friendly (And preferably, reasonably cheap) games for the Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, and Game Boy line?

Best YT show here!
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

ogo79

567. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Starting to collect some retro games in anticipation for the Retron 5. Can anybody recommend me some import-friendly (And preferably, reasonably cheap) games for the Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, and Game Boy line?

holy diver famicom.
trust me on this.
hardest game ive ever played ever.
that and cocoron, just like classic mega man but you customize everything about your characters. iirc you make 5 characters throughout the game.
you know i got you on this.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

568. Posted:

@Philip_J_Reed
I know I'm a little late, but hey, it can't hurt.
As far as GBA games go, I can highly recommend the following:
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Castlevania: Double Pack (Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow)
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
Mega Man Zero 1-4 (Alternatively, you could get the collection for the DS)
and the Sonic Advance Trilogy.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

569. Posted:

@Phillip_J_Reed Okay, as far as RPGs go, the GBA didn't have a lot of greats, but it did have a few games that are worth a purchase if the price is right:

Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Breath of Fire
Golden Sun
Mega Man Battle Network Series (skip 4)

Strategy games, though, is where it accels. These games can be pricey, though.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Advanced Wars 1 & 2
Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 & 2
Fire Emblem 6, 7, & 8

Let me know if you have any questions about specifics...or if you even remember asking that question.:P

@Everyone - Hey, does anybody know if the GBA versions of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy are worth it? The fact that they apparently let you save right from the menu like the Super Mario Advance series has me enticed.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

MuchoMochi

570. Posted:

Does anybody here collect for the Neo Geo AES console?? I used to play the SNK games back in arcades all the time, and I would love to get those experiences at home. I know that there are SNK greatest hits releases on the PS2, Wii, etc. but I'd really love to get the classic console. I can never seem to find an affordable US model on Ebay, they are all Japanese imports. The games are becoming a little bit more affordable but it's still the issue of them being Japanese. What games would you recommend tracking down for the Neo Geo?

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

AuthorMessage

MuchoMochi

571. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Hey, does anybody know if the GBA versions of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy are worth it? The fact that they apparently let you save right from the menu like the Super Mario Advance series has me enticed.

I would recommend it. Even if you have the SNES cartridge it's still a fun potable game. Candy Kong isn't the game so you can save anywhere you want from the menu, there was also multiplayer mini games added to them I believe but I doubt you'll find them useful now. The game is brighter due to the need of more light that you wouldn't get on the GBA screen, but this also comes with a downgrade in color saturation and contrast. I believe there is a time trial mode as well ( I think there is one in the GBC version as well). Maybe a few more features. It plays pretty much the same and it's pretty cheap, I think the first one is like $10 on Amazon. I'd say go for it.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

572. Posted:

Thanks. Next time I got to the Mall I'll see if I can find them for a good price.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Spuratis

573. Posted:

@Tasuki If you want a challenging, arcade-ish shooter game. Try Zombie Revenge. I played that game a lot for the Dreamcast.. you might want to check out some trailers though before purchasing. I imagine some people might not like it too much.

Spuratis

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

574. Posted:

@Tasuki
Powerstone
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Jet Grind Radio
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
The Last Blade
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dead or Alive 2
Record of Loddoss War
Airforce Delta
Bang! Gunship Elite
Shadowman
Sega GT
Cannon Spike
Charge n Blast
Daytona USA
Dynamite Cop
Evolution 1 & 2
Maken X
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Ooga Booga
Chu Chu Rocket
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Rally 2
Tech Romance
Soulcalibur
Zero Gunner 2

Just to name a few of the Dreamcast games I recommend off the top of my head.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

575. Posted:

@MuchoMochi
Well, if affordability is a problem, I would get the Neo Geo CD. The AES is probably the most expensive classic system to collect for, and the cheapest games still start at $35 on eBay. The CD games are the same thing (Mostly), but generally cost much much less. The only problem is, the load times are infamous. Most of the games should be playable if you can tolerate loading though, but stay away from the fighting games. (Half loading).

Best YT show here!

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

576. Posted:

@8BitSamurai: Yeah Crazy Taxi is one of the game I am looking at I loved that game in the Arcade. I remember every time my friends and I would go see a movie in the late 90's/early 2000's the local movie theater had that game and we would always play it. Heck Crazy Taxi is one of the reason why I have been wanting a Dreamcast for so long (even though they did have it on other systems for some reason I wanted it on the DC).

@RancidVomit86: Oh wow thanks that will surely get me on my way. I have to say this is starting to turn out to be one of my favorite retro purchases in a long time. :D

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Nintenjoe64

577. Posted:

Syndicate Wars

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

AuthorMessage

KoopaTrooper

578. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Ok so I am thinking of getting my Dreamcast collection started and am needing some suggestions. The only games I have are Shenmu and Sonic Adventures. I have Skies of Arcadia on Gamecube so I dont need that one either. Other then that I am open to any suggestions.

Me and my friends use to play the heck out of Hydro Thunder. great game. Also Jet Grind Radio is great as is Crazy Taxi. The House of the dead games can be bought on the Wii.

You could always get Seaman. LOL creepy, but funny game.

KoopaTrooper

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

579. Posted:

Anyone know of any good reliable places online to get Dreamcast games in NA?

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

nintendofun

580. Posted:

Does the C64 & Spectrum count? lol. Please try this game for a laugh if you can find it.

Street Hassle. :)

Wii U Games | 3DS Games | Retro Video Games

Twitter: ShopMost