Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 541 to 560 of 641

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

541. Posted:

Chrono Trigger was awesome and i don't even like RPG's. :P
Well, awesome based on the 11+ hours i put in until i eventually grew tired of the tedious turn based combat. tee hee.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

mimi85

542. Posted:

HYDRA413 wrote:

Hey saw, Castlevania II : Belmont's Revenge (with the box) for $35. Worth the buy or not ? Thx !

Complete with box and manual? If so, it is a fair price (compared with the ones in Germany)

mimi85

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

543. Posted:

How are Mr.Gimmick, Sweet Home, 'New' Ghostbusters II & Splatterhouse SD for the NES?
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I'm pretty P'Od that TimeWalkGames.com has stopped taking orders, mainly because they whipped out their own amazing packaging + manuals. The quality is unmatched anywhere else. :P Guess I'll just have to settle for the carts themselves.

What's the best Repro-based site to buy from? Yeesh, where's an @ogo79 when you need it?
Untitled

Edited on by WaveWarlock

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

544. Posted:

Also, is anybody else in agreement based on how overrated ActRaiser is? To me, it has always felt like a 'wooden' generic NES platformer thrown into the 16 bit era with a sheen of next gen visuals. There was something just cheap feeling about it that i can't quite put my finger on. However it had a Phenomenal soundtrack which is it's only redeeming quality imo. Not a fan of the Sim City-esque town's people stages either. I found it to be somewhat fun 'then', but it hasn't aged terribly well in terms of game play.

Untitled

Thankfully, Super ghosts 'n Goblins swooped right in and actually did it right. ;)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Ryno

545. Posted:

@WaveBoy: Yeah I am pretty bummed about TimeWalk, I have 2 games from them and currently have 2 more on order. All are SNES of course though I was looking forward to getting some NES games from them as well.

I love Actraiser, maybe its nostalgia and one of those first big SNES games I experienced back in the day but I just dig its style. The sim stages don't really bother me and I actually think they are kind of a fun and provide a quick change of pace. I appreciate games (probably even more now then back then) that experimented and tried to do things a little differently. Ever try Actrasier 2?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

546. Posted:

Not long ago I finally got a GBA. That was the only Nintendo system I skipped entirely (unless we count GBC...but I don't) and I'm excited to dig into the library of games.

I already picked up a few I knew I wanted, so aside from the following games, what should I track down? (I have the Ambassador games on my 3DS, so don't count those either I guess.)

• Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  • Golden Sun
  • Mega Man Battle Network

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

547. Posted:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Not long ago I finally got a GBA. That was the only Nintendo system I skipped entirely (unless we count GBC...but I don't) and I'm excited to dig into the library of games.

I already picked up a few I knew I wanted, so aside from the following games, what should I track down? (I have the Ambassador games on my 3DS, so don't count those either I guess.)

• Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
  • Golden Sun
  • Mega Man Battle Network

Honestly, you would probably be better off playing GBA games on the DS Lite due to the much brighter picture, superior contrast and rich vivid vibrant colors. :P I personally can't go back to playing GBA games on my SP because the picture looks absolutely Dull in comparison....And i agree about the GBC. Doesn't count! lol Not only that but it has thee' worst line up of games of any Nintendo Hand held. :P I'd like to forget that it ever happened.

Anyhoo, I Just got rid of my Black GBA SP, want to get an original Indigo GBA, like i had on launch! Not only for nostalgia, but mainly for playing GameBoy games. I hate the look of the SP. But yup, I'm still in somewhat of the same boat as you though, i may of been all over the GBA during it's launch, but i quickly lost interest, with Super Mario Kart: SS being the last game i played on the thing. But even so, there doesn't seem like a lot of stuff on the GBA that spikes my interest. Maybe 10 or so more games and that's it for me, . Including Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, LOZ: Minish Cap, WarioWare Twisted, Mega Man Zero 2-4,(beat the first already in the MMZ DS collection), Kirby and the amazing mirror ect.

The last 2 GBA games that i played were Wario Land 4 and Mega Man & Bass....MM&B was pretty darn great.....Sure, the soundtrack is mostly forgettable but it brings back classic mega man's sturdy challenge and blasts it through the roof. Quite possibly the toughest Classic mega there is, followed by 10 imo! Wario Land 4 was....well, a bit of a letdown in ways. wasn't too crazy over it to be honest. It doesn't have a thing on Shake it! or 1.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

548. Posted:

How on Earth did I forget about MM&B?? Definitely picking that up!

Open to other suggestions too. Thanks!

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

549. Posted:

I wasn't a big fan of most of the music in MM&B, but hot damn this particular track is going down as one of the best Castle themes! ;) I remember blazing through this stage like it was yesterday, and my god....The boss that awaits you(ahem, King's Jet tank) is going to destroy you. If you're lucky, you might beat him on your 100th try. :P

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

550. Posted:

@Philip_J_Reed
Activision Anthology. Yes, it's less of an "actual" GBA game, being a collection of most of Activision's Atari 2600 games, but it's an excellent perfect collection and definitely worth owning.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

551. Posted:

@Philip_J_Reed

Drill Dozer! It'll probably never come to the vortual console since it has a Rumble Pak.
Astro Boy: Omega Factor and Gunstar Super Heroes are musts, too.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SuperMalleo

552. Posted:

Thanks to James Rolfe, this game is highly recommended:

Plumber extraordinaire at your service.
配管工の非凡なあなたのサービスで。
YouTube Channel | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena | The Malleogerry (Still needs some updating)

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

553. Posted:

@the_shpydar
Thanks man! I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

@CanisWolfred
Yyyyeeeeeesssss Drill Dozer! Thank you! See? I knew I was forgetting some awesome ones. :) Keep the recommendations coming!

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

554. Posted:

@Philip_J_Reed - Almost forgot, Boktai 1 & 2 are great Stealth/Action games, with an emphasis on action. Unlike, say, Metal Gear Solid, the combat's actually pretty nice, with plenty of RPG-like customization options.

Speaking of which, do you like RPGs and/or Strategy games? Because if so I got a LOT to recommend.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

555. Posted:

@CanisWolfred
Interesting...not familiar with Boktai. I'll check those out.

Regarding RPGs and Strategy, neither are my favorite genre, but I have nothing against either of them, and have outright loved a handful of titles. Bring em on!

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

556. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@WaveBoy: Yeah I am pretty bummed about TimeWalk, I have 2 games from them and currently have 2 more on order. All are SNES of course though I was looking forward to getting some NES games from them as well.

I love Actraiser, maybe its nostalgia and one of those first big SNES games I experienced back in the day but I just dig its style. The sim stages don't really bother me and I actually think they are kind of a fun and provide a quick change of pace. I appreciate games (probably even more now then back then) that experimented and tried to do things a little differently. Ever try Actrasier 2?

Yeah, i played little bits of ActRaiser here and there at my friends house during it's release and like all launch titles or early first wave releases it does have that charm, wow-factor and appeal to it especially coming from an 8-bit NES. Mind you i owned the Genesis before the SNES(Bad move, i wish i would of passed on the Genny all together and put a pure focus on the SNES instead of eveything being 50/50)The soundtrack is simply put amazing, the composer from Streets of Rage out did himself Times ecto cooler infiinty. :P And i really dig the SFX too!

But yup, there's something about it that just doesn't quite gel with me...Everything has this stiff wooden feel to it, it definitely ranks below the quality of something like Super Mario World. Still, like you said you have to appreciate the originality, with sticking Sim-based gameplay in between the SideScroller stages.

The last time i played it was 2 years ago on the Wii's VC, but i eventually grew irritated with one of the Town/sim stages and pulled the angelic plug on this RadRaiser. I'd love to play it as a straight up SideScroller without the Sim-filler. And nope, i haven't played it's sequel, i hear the controls were hard to get a hang of and that the challenge was through the roof. :O

Untitled

Which is actually a good thing in my punky brewster books, since i'm a mega masochistic gamer and all. ;)

Also, has anybody played Bio Miracle Babya on the NES?

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

557. Posted:

Does anybody know if this GameBoy Pocket(JAP) will worth with US games?
Untitled

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

558. Posted:

@WaveBoy
Game Boy Games are region-free :).

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

KeeperBvK

559. Posted:

There's a GB Pocket in the design of the classic brick GB? Awesome.

KeeperBvK

AuthorMessage

ogo79

560. Posted:

@WaveBoy
mr gimmick and splatterhouse sd are good games, and bio miracle is a good game too. you should get that on vc.
i too, dont care for actraiser much myself...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)