Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 501 to 520 of 645

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

501. Posted:

I'm thinking about plunging into Metroid II: Return of Samus tonight, but once again I'm a wee' bit thrown off by the complete lack of map! When i played the original Metroid(Unforgettable final boss battle) on the NES last Halloween I basically drew my own map out as I went along. Sure, copying a Metroid IImap online would be more ideal, but it would completely ruin the suprise of discovering new areas and I'm not too keen on once again doodling out a map as i go along. What do I do? Bust out of the crayola's and suck it up She-ra style, or skip it and move onto the ultra mega classic Super Metroid?

Nahhh...I can't skip Metroid II, it would completely bug this bogus brewster to no end! :*

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

502. Posted:

Guardian Legend is easily one of the best shoot em' ups for the NES. It was a Japan only game so it's pretty rare, but it's worth it.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ChrisT99

503. Posted:

Hey everybody!

We just got a store called 2nd and Charles here, and guess what...

They have at least 3 shelffuls of N64, SNES, and NES games, and most of them are less than 5 dollars!

Should I get one of those Retro systems to play those specific games on, or should I just wait until they come out on the Wii U VC?

My YouTube Channel

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3231-8348 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter: dj64mk7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

504. Posted:

ChrisT99 wrote:

Hey everybody!

We just got a store called 2nd and Charles here, and guess what...

They have at least 3 shelffuls of N64, SNES, and NES games, and most of them are less than 5 dollars!

Should I get one of those Retro systems to play those specific games on, or should I just wait until they come out on the Wii U VC?

Get one of them, you'll be an old man before they get most (not even all) of the good games on there.

I'd recommend the NES because a lot of games should be cheaper for it.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ChrisT99

505. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

ChrisT99 wrote:

Hey everybody!

We just got a store called 2nd and Charles here, and guess what...

They have at least 3 shelffuls of N64, SNES, and NES games, and most of them are less than 5 dollars!

Should I get one of those Retro systems to play those specific games on, or should I just wait until they come out on the Wii U VC?

Get one of them, you'll be an old man before they get most (not even all) of the good games on there.

I'd recommend the NES because a lot of games should be cheaper for it.

Should I get an actual NES, or should I get one of those systems that play NES and SNES(RetroN or something like it)?

My YouTube Channel

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3231-8348 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter: dj64mk7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

506. Posted:

ChrisT99 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

ChrisT99 wrote:

Hey everybody!

We just got a store called 2nd and Charles here, and guess what...

They have at least 3 shelffuls of N64, SNES, and NES games, and most of them are less than 5 dollars!

Should I get one of those Retro systems to play those specific games on, or should I just wait until they come out on the Wii U VC?

Get one of them, you'll be an old man before they get most (not even all) of the good games on there.

I'd recommend the NES because a lot of games should be cheaper for it.

Should I get an actual NES, or should I get one of those systems that play NES and SNES(RetroN or something like it)?

I'm not sure. I'm tempted by the retrons, but I'd have to look up how sturdy they are. I don't want a new thing that wouldn't last me as long as a 20 year old machine...

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

507. Posted:

@Crayonboy: Stop worrying about maps and getting lost and use that brain of yours. Don't let these new games make you soft.

CapnPancakes wrote:

Guardian Legend is easily one of the best shoot em' ups for the NES. It was a Japan only game so it's pretty rare, but it's worth it.

Are you talking about the The Guardian Legend for the NES published by Brøderbund?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BulbasaurusRex

508. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

I'm thinking about plunging into Metroid II: Return of Samus tonight, but once again I'm a wee' bit thrown off by the complete lack of map! When i played the original Metroid(Unforgettable final boss battle) on the NES last Halloween I basically drew my own map out as I went along. Sure, copying a Metroid IImap online would be more ideal, but it would completely ruin the suprise of discovering new areas and I'm not too keen on once again doodling out a map as i go along. What do I do? Bust out of the crayola's and suck it up She-ra style, or skip it and move onto the ultra mega classic Super Metroid?

Nahhh...I can't skip Metroid II, it would completely bug this bogus brewster to no end! :*

Metroid II is a lot more straight-forward than Metroid. I'm about a third of the way through the game, and I haven't gotten lost yet.

Still looking for good SNES game recommendations as explained in one of my previous posts...

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
...
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ChrisT99

509. Posted:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

I'm thinking about plunging into Metroid II: Return of Samus tonight, but once again I'm a wee' bit thrown off by the complete lack of map! When i played the original Metroid(Unforgettable final boss battle) on the NES last Halloween I basically drew my own map out as I went along. Sure, copying a Metroid IImap online would be more ideal, but it would completely ruin the suprise of discovering new areas and I'm not too keen on once again doodling out a map as i go along. What do I do? Bust out of the crayola's and suck it up She-ra style, or skip it and move onto the ultra mega classic Super Metroid?

Nahhh...I can't skip Metroid II, it would completely bug this bogus brewster to no end! :*

Metroid II is a lot more straight-forward than Metroid. I'm about a third of the way through the game, and I haven't gotten lost yet.

Still looking for good SNES game recommendations as explained in one of my previous posts...

SNES Game Recommendations:

  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Metroid
  • Kirby's Dreamland 3
  • Pilotwings
  • F-Zero
    plus many others that I can't think of off of the top of my head.

My YouTube Channel

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3231-8348 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter: dj64mk7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

510. Posted:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

Still looking for good SNES game recommendations as explained in one of my previous posts...

That you can't get on virtual console? Most of the ones I can think of are expensive...but here it goes:

Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia 2
Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
Demon's Crest
Ninja Warriors
U.N. Squadron

I wish I could recommend more, but most good stuff is either on VC or stuck in Japan. :/

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

511. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

Still looking for good SNES game recommendations as explained in one of my previous posts...

That you can't get on virtual console? Most of the ones I can think of are expensive...but here it goes:

Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia 2
Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
Demon's Crest
Ninja Warriors
U.N. Squadron

I wish I could recommend more, but most good stuff is either on VC or stuck in Japan. :/

In addition to the VC and Canis's recommendations here are some other suggestions:
Actraiser 2
Equinox
King of Dragon's
Run Saber
Sparkster
Skyblazer
Sunset Riders (Superior to Genesis version)
Super Double Dragon

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

512. Posted:

I forgot about Run Saber. I second that one.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zeldalover

513. Posted:

At first I thought I could get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time on the VC, but when I tried to search it on the Wii Shop, there were no matches to be found. I do recall renting it from a video store back in '95 and had a good time playing it. Many solid SNES titles have never seen the light of day on the VC.

Zeldalover

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ChrisT99

514. Posted:

I saw a Reton2 at the store brand-new for $44.99 earlier. Is that a good deal?

My YouTube Channel

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3231-8348 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter: dj64mk7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

515. Posted:

Zeldalover wrote:

At first I thought I could get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time on the VC, but when I tried to search it on the Wii Shop, there were no matches to be found. I do recall renting it from a video store back in '95 and had a good time playing it. Many solid SNES titles have never seen the light of day on the VC.

The closest that that ever got to be on the VC was a remade 3D version on XBLA and PS3 sadly though that came was taken off both services awhile ago. Honestly I dont see it coming to VC unless something can be worked out between Nintendo, Konami and Nickelodeon.

ChrisT99 wrote:

I saw a Reton2 at the store brand-new for $44.99 earlier. Is that a good deal?

Honestly I say go with the real deal. Those clone systems are ok but some games wont work on them too well and for that price you can probably find an original system.

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

516. Posted:

@RynoGrumpy &
@BulbasaurusRex

Finished Metroid II without the aid of a map a couple weeks ago, and in the end I found it to be a bit of a dissapointment compared to the first. The inferior soundtrack, zoomed in sprites/environments and limmited Black & White/monochrome look made Metroid II a bit of a drag to play. Sure it gets confusing at times as it's hard to differentiate certain areas again due to the B & W graphics but this time out a Map really isn't needed especially if you stack it up to the first due to the linear game design. The duck mechanic, Spider Ball and the other upgrades were awesome additions and hunting down the different variations of Metroids was Fun & INtense at least in the beginning before it became a toobular tedious metroid meltdown of repetitive Zeebish' proportions! Yet the Final Boss battle(while nowhere near as cool as Mother Brain in the original) was pretty rad, and I loved how the little hatched surving Metroid followed you back to your ship at the end of the game. :p

Overall It was a pretty decent ride, but it just didn't come close to leaving the same impact of the NES original nor did it offer it's sizzling 'n Scary challenge.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Algus

517. Posted:

ChrisT99 wrote:

I saw a Reton2 at the store brand-new for $44.99 earlier. Is that a good deal?

Hyperkin stuff is ok. If you're gonna go for a hardware clone look for a Retro-Bit machine like the RetroDuo. They're actually working on a unit right now that is supposedly going to have NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA support. Their compatibility is about as good as you can get with these clone consoles.

An ok investment if you're looking to save space but outside of the SNES, most of the original hardware for these consoles can be had at pretty reasonable prices, even on ePay.

Where's the KABOOM?! There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM! sigh delays...delays...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Varia01

518. Posted:

Metroid Prime is a great Metroid game. I'd never really like first-person games, but not the way Retro Studios does it (Which is at a great rank far above perfect). The way Retro Studios ingeniously creates first-person gameplay is through making a first-person adventure game, not a shooter. Retro's intention was to make a shooter, but Nintendo chose an adventure and I love it! The gameplay is smooth and is a different kind of first-person that made it one of the best games on the game cube. The gameplay is not only great, but the graphics are incredible too! The environments and character designs are absolutely stunning! The music is pretty instrumental (I love instrumental), but it's still entertaining. The story is awesome too (I'm not going to spoil it).

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, & Metroid Other M
Hyped for: Sonic Lost World, Super Smash Bros 3DS, & Dream Team

Even though I have beaten many of the games I'm still playing, I play them not to win, but to have fun.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slayer

519. Posted:

We are REALLY talking classic here... Here's my favorite SNES game to play on my Surface RT. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is easily my favorite game for the SNES and I highly recommend it for classic gamers.

I have nothing really to say about myself.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slayer

520. Posted:

Varia01 wrote:

Metroid Prime is a great Metroid game. I'd never really like first-person games, but not the way Retro Studios does it (Which is at a great rank far above perfect). The way Retro Studios ingeniously creates first-person gameplay is through making a first-person adventure game, not a shooter. Retro's intention was to make a shooter, but Nintendo chose an adventure and I love it! The gameplay is smooth and is a different kind of first-person that made it one of the best games on the game cube. The gameplay is not only great, but the graphics are incredible too! The environments and character designs are absolutely stunning! The music is pretty instrumental (I love instrumental), but it's still entertaining. The story is awesome too (I'm not going to spoil it).

I did notice that Metroid Prime Hunters was unique from other shooters on the DS. It was always more of a puzzle FPS but when it had the rare combat moment, it was very enjoyable as well as how the puzzles were challenging and the game overall was better than any NDS FPS I have ever played.

I played Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS and noticed it did have more puzzles than combat. When it did have combat it was fun, and the puzzles were challenging and I overall love playing this game and am proud to have this ROM file on my R4i SDHC card.

Edited on by Slayer

I have nothing really to say about myself.