Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 441 to 460 of 640

AuthorMessage

Ryno

441. Posted:

So I was searching on Ebay and I came across Xexyz! I have totally forgot about that game until now. I remember thinking it was pretty cool back in the day? Anybody played it recently? It's cheap now so I probably should snatch it up before before people get wind of it and jack up the price

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

EIectricmastro

442. Posted:

Has anyone else tried Link's Awakening?

Current Playthroughs: Xenoblade Chronicles, Okami, Red Steel 2, Eternal Sonata, SMW 2: Yoshi's Island, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV, Phantasy Star IV, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and TLoZ: Spirit Tracks.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

443. Posted:

EIectricmastro wrote:

Link's Awakening is great! It's THE game that made me a Zelda fan. It's really charming and has the most fun places to mess around in. If you're interested definitely check it out.

@Ryno Xexyz is great! It's really unique and fairly challenging. There's great rewards for beating the game too. It's cheap, so definitely worth it. How weird. I was just looking for a copy too. Not that hard to find for a fair price. Hopefully we don't end up in a bidding war. :P

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Hokori

444. Posted:

Yes LA is great, also welcome to NL Electromastro

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

EIectricmastro

445. Posted:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

Yes LA is great, also welcome to NL Electromastro

I've beaten LA, I just wanted to know if some other people on here tried it. Also, thank you. :)

Current Playthroughs: Xenoblade Chronicles, Okami, Red Steel 2, Eternal Sonata, SMW 2: Yoshi's Island, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV, Phantasy Star IV, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and TLoZ: Spirit Tracks.

AuthorMessage

Ryno

446. Posted:

@Retro_on_theGo: Thanks, reviews on it are kinda mixed out there on the Net. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't bad. That is funny you were thinking about picking it up. You going complete or cart only? Ha, taht would be funny if we were bidding on the same item.

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

447. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@Retro_on_theGo: Thanks, reviews on it are kinda mixed out there on the Net. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't bad. That is funny you were thinking about picking it up. You going complete or cart only? Ha, taht would be funny if we were bidding on the same item.

It sure would be. I'd hate to get into a bidding war with'ya. I'd feel bad about raising the price so much. XD
This game actually goes pretty cheap even complete, so I'm going to try and get it CIB. If I feel like playing it really badly I may just get cart only instead of waiting for another good CIB deal to turn up. I like how the game mixes up play styles. Side scrolling platformer ish at first then there's shoot'em up sections. I think that's where most of e mixed reactions come from, but I like it. Keeps things feeling fresh.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

448. Posted:

Is Double Dragin III work checking out? It's probably worth buying alone just for the " Bimmy & Jimmy" screw up. B-)

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

EIectricmastro

449. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Is Double Dragin III work checking out? It's probably worth buying alone just for the " Bimmy & Jimmy" screw up. B-)

I've heard the game isn't that great. It might be cheap, but it's probably not worth your time hunting down.

AuthorMessage

PoorVGameNerd

450. Posted:

I bought Double Dragon III back in 2003 for like $7.99 (when I had a job and some income) and was seriously disappointed. You don't even have half the moves you had in Double Dragon II and you only get one life. I played it for like 2 days, then let it sit there for about 5 years. Eventually I watched a Youtube walkthrough, tried the techniques the guy used in the video and finally beat it. Even though I enjoyed the game and still play it from time to time, I would caution you to do some more research. Read some GameFaqs, watch some gameplay videos on Youtube, and you've gotta watch the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of the game. It's on Youtube as well. I felt exactly the same way he did until I practiced and learned the game's tricks. I no longer regret buying it and yet I still can't recommend it to just anybody. I'll be reviewing it within the next month and I already know I'm giving it a 6 out of 10. For me, a 6 means a game is seriously flawed but still playable. Few gamers will play it long enough to get enough enjoyment out of it to justify a purchase though.

www.poorvideogamenerd.com
Retro Nintendo Game Reviews

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

451. Posted:

Ok, now that I got Kirby 64 out of the way. (decided not to get it unless I find it for a dollar.) How about Super Mario 64? Hear it hasn't aged well, at all, but is it still worth playing on the original console? Will my nostalgia be enough to over look the flaws? Goes for only a bit over 10 bucks on eBay.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

ogo79

452. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

that game could have been so much more...i remember seeing it at the rental store and shaking with excitement on the way home, ill never forget that feeling...or the feeling i had while playing it. something told me something was going to be wrong before i played it, it kinda looked suspect. i just couldnt believe this was trying to live up to dd 2 standards!?

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

453. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Ok, now that I got Kirby 64 out of the way. (decided not to get it unless I find it for a dollar.) How about Super Mario 64? Hear it hasn't aged well, at all, but is it still worth playing on the original console? Will my nostalgia be enough to over look the flaws? Goes for only a bit over 10 bucks on eBay.

That's a good price for it. The only problems with Super Mario 64 are the camera and the poorly aged graphics. It's not nearly as ugly as Ocarina of Time, though, and the camera is one of the best of its generation, so it's really not much, so long as you've played games from that era and remember how they play.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

454. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

[/div]

That's a good price for it. The only problems with Super Mario 64 are the camera and the poorly aged graphics. It's not nearly as ugly as Ocarina of Time, though, and the camera is one of the best of its generation, so it's really not much, so long as you've played games from that era and remember how they play.

Sounds great! I wasn't worried about picking up a Mario title, but just wanted to be sure. I'll be looking for a copy now.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Ryno

455. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Does Marian usually go missing in a Double Dragon game? Yes, it is worth checking out if you are a fan of Double Dragon, the NES, and/or challenging games! Sure it's hard and gamers of today cannot handle it but with the lost ninjitsu art of mastering a video game through practice, practice, practice I get better and further though I have yet to beat it. However the challenge keeps calling my name like a buffet calls Slimer. The characters have tons of moves and are fun to master. A lot of people out there may disagree with my praise for this game but if you have some sacred stones then I recommend that you pick up Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones. Also get Double Dragon II: The Revenge too. That one is mega blast from the past as well.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

456. Posted:

EIectricmastro wrote:

It's amazing. My second favorite game in the series.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

457. Posted:

Oh, and since I'm here, yay/nay on getting Wario Land 3?

I've always wanted to play the original trilogy, and I figure since it's going to take ages for 3 to hit the NA VC (especially since the first game isn't anywhere in sight) I should just go ahead and jump on one of the affordable used cartridges available at the Amazon marketplace.

Edited on by RevolverLink

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

458. Posted:

@Revolverlink - Yay, it's easy to get right now for a good price. Don't go with Amazon, though. It's cheaper on eBay, and if you pick the right sellers, you'll know what you're getting and you can return it if it doesn't save. With that said, I've seen, like, 4 copies of it at my local used game place. If you have any place you can get to, I suggest going there first. Saves you a ton on the shipping.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

459. Posted:

Anyways I have questions about these games:

• Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg - is it any good?
  • Bomberman Generation and Jetters - are they any good and is it worth getting one over the other?
  • Custom Robo - Is it any good?
  • Donkey Konga and 2 - are either any good and if I have to pick one which one should it be?
  • Evolution Worlds - is this improved at all over the original DC games or is it just a compilation?
  • Kirby Air Ride, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - Are these really worth paying over $20 each for?
  • Lost Kingdoms - how is this compared to Lost Kingdoms II? I have the second game and it seems pretty decent, but I don't know if I'd want to get the first game if its significantly worse than the sequel
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Two Thrones - is it worth tracking down the GCN versions instead of getting them on PSN?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Mk_II

460. Posted:

Billy Hatcher is a great game. Donkey Konga is a nice addition if you've already got a Bongo Controller. Mario Kart Double Dash!! is worth every cent.

Edited on by Mk_II

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code 0731-4737-4010 AC:NL Dream Code 7600-2509-4051 Animal Crossing Blog