Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 401 to 420 of 636

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

401. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Has anyone here played NES games on an HD TV? How bad does it look? I think my current tube TV is dead for good, and I won't be able to find a replacement for awhile. I have a ton of NES games I want to play so it really sucks waiting. Any settings I could mess around with that make it look bearable?

Honestly dude? Not too good. The main reason is because of the awful dithering effect that comes with it whenever the background starts scrolling. I can't bare it on either my Plasma or LCD. You're better off getting a small CRT Tube TV at an electronics pawn shop. The good news? They're cheap as hell! B-) For retro gaming, I'd say a 20"-27" will be your best bet.

I may have to look into replacing my 20" Sony 92' Tube TV if in fact the menu controls really are broken on it. Talk about a Beetlejuice bummer!

Geez, that's a bummer! Would you say they look decent enough to play while I get a new CRT TV? I really want to play SMB 2. lol

Ugh my advice get a CRT asap. Either that or play SMB2 on the Wii. I dont know about the Goodwill in your area (if you have one) but mine always have CRT TVs coming in and they usually to anywhere from 20 to 50 depending on the size.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

lonlon-milker

402. Posted:

Kguys I found a sega genesis at a value village for 25 bucks and I was wondering what are some non sonic games that I have to play but please reply quickly:)

HadukroPUNCH= awesome battle cry

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

403. Posted:

Guess I have to scrape together 20 bucks soon then. Lol, thanks guys.

@lonlon-miller Gunstar Heroes is amazing! I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

ogo79

404. Posted:

lonlon-milker wrote:

Kguys I found a sega genesis at a value village for 25 bucks and I was wondering what are some non sonic games that I have to play but please reply quickly:)

off the top of my head:
(not on virtual console)
Soldiers Of Fortune
Valis 1
Syd Of Valis
Valis 3
Midnight Resistance
Splatterhouse 3
TMNT The Hyperstone Heist

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

MAB

405. Posted:

Just about anything on Genesis will be great

Desert/Jungle Strike series
The Immortal
and my personal favourite but hard as nails Chakan The Forever Man

MAB

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

406. Posted:

If you end up playing SMB2 on your Wii make sure you amp up the color and contrast on your current TV since NES VC WII games look dark and the colors are completely washed out and fugly in comparison to how they should look. :p

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

407. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

If you end up playing SMB2

No. You have to play SMB2. Its magic will consume you, its perfection will steal your soul.

It's so worth it though.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

408. Posted:

lonlon-milker wrote:

If you are a Castlevania fan Castlevania Bloodlines is a must have.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Ryno

409. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Has anyone here played NES games on an HD TV? How bad does it look? I think my current tube TV is dead for good, and I won't be able to find a replacement for awhile. I have a ton of NES games I want to play so it really sucks waiting. Any settings I could mess around with that make it look bearable?

@Retro_on_theGo: I will admit, I have been playing my NES and SNES games on my 59" plasma. I am currently playing Secret of Mana on my SNES and it looks actually good on it! I have played NES games Kid Icarus and Metalstorm on my Plasma and they look snazzy too! CRT is the definitive retro experience no doubt but as long as you change your TV's aspect ratio to 4:3 you will be right. The only game that has really bothered me and is very unfortunate, is Super Castelevania IV. :( Contra III and Gradius III are other one's that I have tried that look fine. Someday I want a CRT when I have a room dedicated to gaming but for now I will be at odds with my fellow retro amigos. :P

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Ryno

410. Posted:

I just heard about Alundra for the Playstation and that it was similar to A Link to the Past. Anybody around here played this one?

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

ogo79

411. Posted:

@Ryno no but im going to watch it asap now lol

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Ryno

412. Posted:

Whoa! Did I introduce oldgamesonly to a new retro game?

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

ogo79

413. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

Whoa! Did I introduce oldgamesonly to a new retro game?

hey you watch it over there whipper snapper!
:p

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

414. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

I just heard about Alundra for the Playstation and that it was similar to A Link to the Past. Anybody around here played this one?

Yep I had that one during the PS one era. I remember it was a very hard game. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine when I need to cover rent money years ago.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Nintenbro

415. Posted:

You guys are pretty avid videogame connoisseurs, so I thought I'd ask this question here. Do you guys think a new factory sealed copy of, "Baten Kaitos," will become a valuable collectible someday?

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

416. Posted:

So, my GBA SP headphone Adapter broke....Either that, or the input in the GBA SP is on the Freddy Krueger fritz. :p
The only adapter on eBay currently for sale is from the UK, and while it's cheap in price i honestly don't want to wait centuries for it to arrive. Are there any dealers online especially in Canada that sell this thing?

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

ogo79

417. Posted:

@WaveBoy you have the worst luck with electronics dude

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

418. Posted:

Hahaha, tell me about it! :p I ended up finding a GBA SP headphone adapter on Amazon so it's all good I guess. looks like I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before it arrives. What can I say, I usually don't like to game on portables unless I've got a pair of headphones on. It just makes the experience more immersive and personal. B-)

That aside, i want to ge a pair of Composite cables(Actually, the genesis Model 1 only takes Mono sadly) to replace my standard crappy RF Cable. The great thing is, is that the Genesis 1 has a headphone input on the console and it sounds pretty tootin' tubular. :p Plus it's stereo sound so the sound is coming from both ear cups instead of just one like you would get with a mono connection. What I'm wondering is if buying this Mono/composite cable will only give me soun in 'one' cup by using the headphones?

Maybe the Genesis just pumps out simulated surround sound regardless if you are using the Systems headphone input. I'm only keeping the Genny for the 3 games only and they're Castle of Illusion, Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps and that's that i guess. Even though I owned The genny as a kid, for some reason i just don't want to own it. I guess you could cay I've had more bad experiences with it than good and as soon as the SNES hit the scene the 'SNES' completely blew it out of the water in comparison it wasn't even funny. It's when i lost interest I guess you could say. Still, I enjoyed my first year with the console. Castle of Illusion was easily the standout memory.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

419. Posted:

I'd easily recommend Wario Land, Wario Land 4 and even 2 to the retro portable platforming Radical nut case in mind. B-) I'm currently zapping away at Kid Icarus: Of Myths & monsters and so far I'm not enjoying it as much as the NES original or 3D Classics version, That incredible NES magic is pretty much gone, including the amazing SFX....The music isn't quite as great or as memorable, the underworld stages are pretty ho hum....Endless loopdy loop 'can't fall to your death' unchallenging uninteresting fluff with a bigger emphasis on the mallet.

Untitled

Honestly the underworld stages 'and' the mallet driven gameplay feel like only new gameplay changes, yet everything else including the magic and difficulty that the original had has been stomped on harder than a day old Goomba. :p I'm on the 3rd world, and so far I'll admit it's not too shabby, it's been a pretty decent experience so far. But its easy to see why Nintendo completely ignored this sequal when creating Uprising. The Original is easily the better game. Anybody else agree?

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

420. Posted:

I'm interested in Robopon 2 for the GBA. Is anyone else familiar with it? Which version should I get? I'm leaning towards Ring version...

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~