Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 381 to 400 of 645

AuthorMessage

NeoShinobi

381. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

One of the best shmups ever - probably the originator of the genre - is on Atari 2600. Aaaah, retro goodness. If anyone has a working 2600, this game should be in your library.

Untitled

Untitled

I agree with this!
I also have the manual for this game and it amazes me to see all the imagination and, well, actual effort put into these old Atari manuals.

.... or something like that.

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

382. Posted:

I just got a GBA after losing mine and I was wondering if someone would reccomend me some games aside from the obvious Marios and Zeldas.

Edited on by Torchwood

3DS Friend Code- 4725-7991-3379

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

383. Posted:

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is a good one if you like Metroidvania style.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

384. Posted:

I don't particularly like that style of gameplay and it's pretty expensive. Do you have anything else you'd recommend?

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

385. Posted:

Not sure if you like Megaman games but There is Megaman & Bass as well as the Megaman Zero games. Oh and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

386. Posted:

I'm getting Megaman and Bass and I'll be sure to get Mario and Luigi!

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

387. Posted:

But any 3rd Party games you'd reccomend? RPGs are fine but I'd like something different.

AuthorMessage

RPGShaymin

388. Posted:

@JuLeDoS
Dragon's Curse on VC
Only a bit of an RPG

I am the forever lurker.
3DS Friend Code:0989-1732-5647
Wob Niar

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

389. Posted:

I meant for GBA, but what platform is that for?

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

390. Posted:

JuLeDoS wrote:

I'm getting Megaman and Bass and I'll be sure to get Mario and Luigi!

There's no question about it, this is easily the toughest Classic Mega Man in there is known to Robo-kind. :p
Magic, Burner and Dynamo man were pure torture to take down. While King Stage 2's Boss is the toughest boss battle out of all the MM games in my opinion. Although i haven't fully played 6 or 7, so 'those' aside...

And make note of how many times you die against King's flying Tank boss, I'm counting maybe 50. lol :p

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

391. Posted:

JuLeDoS wrote:

But any 3rd Party games you'd reccomend? RPGs are fine but I'd like something different.

Something Different and something cheap? There goes a lot of good GBA games unfortunately. How about Drill Dozer? That's not third-party, though.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

392. Posted:

I was actually looking into Drill Dozer! I may pick it up. Since most of the GBAs library is RPGs, can someone recommend a RPG that isn't strategy tactical( Fire Emblem style)?

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

393. Posted:

JuLeDoS wrote:

Since most of the GBAs library is RPGs...

I was more referring to the cheap part, actually. There are plenty of non-RPGs, it's just that they're either expensive or not very good.

Anyways, I can't find any RPGs under $20 now. Breath of Fire is just barely under. Actually, both Summon Nights are cheap. I liked those games. Also, I see that Gunstar Super Heroes went way down in price. That game is amazing. Go get it. Then there's Boktai (forgot the first one still goes for a decent price). Oh and Klonoa 1 and 2.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Torchwood

394. Posted:

Hmm, disregarding price and genre completely, could I just have a list of your top ten GBA games? It would be really helpful, and I'll just go ahead and give you a list of the ones I have, or will get very soon.
Zelda Minish Cap
Megaman Battle Network 4
Megaman and Bass
Final Fantasy 4 and 5(possibly 6)
Wario Land 4
Super Mario Advance (all 4)
Pokemon Pinball
Sega Smash Pack
Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga
Drill Dozer

AuthorMessage

Megajack

395. Posted:

My top ten GBA games are:
10. Mickie and Minnies Magical Quest.
9. Sonic Advanced 3
8. DragonballZ the legacy of goku (hard)
7. Classic NES series Metroid (My first Nintendo game.)
6.Mario Kart Super Circuit
5. Pokemon Fire red
4. Pokemon Ruby
3. Mario advanced (Super mario 2)
2. Mario advanced( super mario world)
1. POKEMON EMERALD!

Applejack is best pony.

3DS Friend Code: 2406-5638-4729 | Nintendo Network ID: smp1998

AuthorMessage

Megajack

396. Posted:

has anyone ever played journey to silius? is it good?

Applejack is best pony.

3DS Friend Code: 2406-5638-4729 | Nintendo Network ID: smp1998

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

397. Posted:

Nah, it looks pretty solid though, definitly going to get it down the line to plunk it my NesterNES Retro collection B-) And it's got one awesome Heavy pulsating soundtrack that's for sure. And speaking of Journey to Silius, does anybody else find a crazy simularity between these 2 tracks? This is an 80's track by Pseudo Echo, and it sounds strangely simular once the beat kicks in at 0:16 in comparison to Stage 3 in Journey to Silious. Note the PE song came out before the game :o

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

398. Posted:

Has anyone here played NES games on an HD TV? How bad does it look? I think my current tube TV is dead for good, and I won't be able to find a replacement for awhile. I have a ton of NES games I want to play so it really sucks waiting. Any settings I could mess around with that make it look bearable?

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

399. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Has anyone here played NES games on an HD TV? How bad does it look? I think my current tube TV is dead for good, and I won't be able to find a replacement for awhile. I have a ton of NES games I want to play so it really sucks waiting. Any settings I could mess around with that make it look bearable?

Honestly dude? Not too good. The main reason is because of the awful dithering effect that comes with it whenever the background starts scrolling. I can't bare it on either my Plasma or LCD. You're better off getting a small CRT Tube TV at an electronics pawn shop. The good news? They're cheap as hell! B-) For retro gaming, I'd say a 20"-27" will be your best bet.

I may have to look into replacing my 20" Sony 92' Tube TV if in fact the menu controls really are broken on it. Talk about a Beetlejuice bummer!

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

400. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Honestly dude? Not too good. The main reason is because of the awful dithering effect that comes with it whenever the background starts scrolling. I can't bare it on either my Plasma or LCD. You're better off getting a small CRT Tube TV at an electronics pawn shop. The good news? They're cheap as hell! B-) For retro gaming, I'd say a 20"-27" will be your best bet.

I may have to look into replacing my 20" Sony 92' Tube TV if in fact the menu controls really are broken on it. Talk about a Beetlejuice bummer!

Geez, that's a bummer! Would you say they look decent enough to play while I get a new CRT TV? I really want to play SMB 2. lol

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery