Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 361 to 380 of 620

AuthorMessage

ogo79

361. Posted:

i watched the whole game on youtube a long time ago, it was not that good to be honest.

iap-tv.com
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

KingMike

362. Posted:

That game's difficulty is insane. If I remember, by level 2, there's these mermaid-skeleton things which I don't think can be avoided unless you know their collision detection. And on the second level. KONAMI... I expect better from you! :P
(then again, it's an arcade game. They're not supposed to be fair, they're supposed to eat your money.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

ogo79

363. Posted:

people need to pay more attention to Castlevania Chronicles for ps1 than this.
Castlevania Chronicles deserves way more attention

Edited on by ogo79

iap-tv.com
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

364. Posted:

Just beat Super Mario Bros. 2 on Super Mario All Stars. Man that game is fantastic... :D

And I had one life left with one heart. :O

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

365. Posted:

Contra: Operation C for the Gameboy. B-)
It's Kind of simular to Contra II: Super C stage design wise in ways, while dishing out different bosses along the way. And it uses familar classic tracks from the Original Contra. Personally, I'm having a blast with it! Yet I can't get past Stage 4's Massive creepy Spider Boss, which you face off when getting to the end of an Alien Bug infested goopy long corridor. You get 2 continues and that's that. GAME OVER. Just the way I like it. Unlimmited continues are for babies, besides how do you expect to master previous stages if you don't even get to revisit them once completed?

This is contra through and through, not like that Half assed ReBirth Bill Rizer poop. And after I complete Operation C the only Retro Contra title that I'll need to play is HardCorps for the Genny' Genny' B-)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

366. Posted:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

Just beat Super Mario Bros. 2 on Super Mario All Stars. Man that game is fantastic... :D

And I had one life left with one heart. :O

Nice! As you were saying earlier. I dabbled in All_stars during it's SNES release, but for me the SNES versions of 1-3 just lacked that original charm of the NES originals as the SNES versions all use simular sound effecets which feel like they were ripped from Super Mario World for 1-3 plus simular graphical styles and because of that they each don't feel unique enough, or as they did back on the NES from both a visual, art direction and sound stand point.

Either way, both versions of SMB2 are amazing regardless. Mouser and Fry Guy are two of those most awesome bosses to ever grace a mario game, and i love the slew of crazy and quirky enemies! Those PhantoMasks used to scare the living hell out of me as a kid. SMB2 is easily the most dreamy and magical of the bunch of you ask me....Which makes sense, considering it all takes place in Mario's Dream. :p

Glad you finally got around to experiencing it. It's truly underrated, and i'd personally nail it above SMB3. In combination with SMB2 back in the day, i always watching The Super Mario Bros Super Show/Zelda whenever came on in the morning/afternoon which used All of characters from SMB2's world and even the SFX from SMB/SMB2. It was so awesome seeing them all spring to life in cartoon form.. :D

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Joshers744

367. Posted:

Super Mario Bros 2 is a pretty underrated game. I personally like the choice of characters..though I end up being Mario a lot of the time. :p and Toad.
Right now, I'm playing through Super Mario RPG (had played it before but never beat it).
I don't know much about RPG's, but so far this game seem real fun. Has a little bit of fun, yet just a little cheesy comedy mixed in too. Story is interesting, and the game does not seem to ridiculously/ want to throw the controller through the TV difficult. ....not saying that it is super easy either! :p

Nintendo ID : Whopper744
XBL : Jataylor744

My 3DS friend code is : 4639-9014-2585Online games i have right now : MK7, Mario Tennis O, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sonic Generations, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing : New Leaf

-John 3:16

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

368. Posted:

I highly Recommend Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge and Contra: Operation C for the Gameboy! B-)
Wario Land is also another, it's so incredibly polished, well done and put together that it makes Super Mario Land 1 & 2 seem like B-Grade products in comparison. :p

As much as I love Super Mario Land 2's presentation, awesome & quirky world map, sweet chip tunes, the funky rabbit ears powerup, the Awesome Box Art and amazing TV commercial that went with it. It's the actual poorly thought out level design, mediocre platorming and iffy controls that funk up the experience. I Just didn't find it that fun to be honest, UNTIL i hit up Wario's Castle that is! :D

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

Chuie

369. Posted:

if you want rpg's get Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 dragon warrior 3 lufia zeldas and pokemon G/S/C
also grab wario land and mario land 2 also shantae a rare good game

3DS FC:1332-8177-3517 currently playing:Tales of xillia (2nd playthrough) BIG TALES OF FAN! BIG SONIC FAN! lloyd x sheena yuri x judith
PSN ID:Bioshock1313
youtube:ChuieTheUmbreon my new channel
i was mieu-fire

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

370. Posted:

So what exactly is the dillio' deal with ActRaiser? I dug the SideScrolling Action based stages during the few that I've played on the Wii's VC a while back.
But those Sim City-based Town stages that you play in between totaly derailed the Wavemyster since that type of gameplay doesn't mesh with the all funky & fresh if you know what I mean. B-)

Anyways! I've heard that once you access Hard mode you don't have to play those stages and instead the entire game just consists of the Action/Side Scroller stages. Can you access a code be it the Cart or VC version that lets you play Hard Mode from start instead of beating the game to enable it? It's killing me, since again i really dug the SideScrolling action based stages. The music is the stuff of Legends(no suprise considering the same guy helmed Streets of Rage 1 & 2)

The epic riff starting at 0:41 is easily one of the greatest pieces in SNES history. B-)

and i love the super retro SNES feel, you can tell right off the bat because of the controls/gameplay which make it feel like an early Birdo' of a SNES title, which it is. B-) It almost feels like an unreleased Sega Genesis title with a strapped on & out of this world awesome SNES Soundtrack. Friend rented this one right when the SNES was fresh on the shredder scene, i myself didn't play too much unless it was one of the sidescroller stages...Those Sim City town stages threw me off then and they still throw me off now. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

DashChargedShot

371. Posted:

I defeated SMB on my 3DS...by cheating with the VC menu.

8 Bit Forward, a new forum with articles and review along with (duh!) a fun and friendly community of people!

My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi.

deviantART Profile

Yo dawg

"Yes, people can often be so blinded by their own motivations that they lose sight of the damage they do."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

372. Posted:

3Dangerous3Dash wrote:

I defeated SMB on my 3DS...by cheating with the VC menu.

What does this have to do with Retro Recommendations? :P Then again, i guess i could say the same about my previous post. Zoink! lol

AuthorMessage

Ryno

373. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

So what exactly is the dillio' deal with ActRaiser? I dug the SideScrolling Action based stages during the few that I've played on the Wii's VC a while back. But those Sim City-based Town stages that you play in between totaly derailed the Wavemyster since that type of gameplay doesn't mesh with the all funky & fresh if you know what I mean. B-)

Anyways! I've heard that once you access Hard mode you don't have to play those stages and instead the entire game just consists of the Action/Side Scroller stages. Can you access a code be it the Cart or VC version that lets you play Hard Mode from start instead of beating the game to enable it? It's killing me, since again i really dug the SideScrolling action based stages. The music is the stuff of Legends(no suprise considering the same guy helmed Streets of Rage 1 & 2)

The epic riff starting at 0:41 is easily one of the greatest pieces in SNES history. B-)
and i love the super retro SNES feel, you can tell right off the bat because of the controls/gameplay which make it feel like an early Birdo' of a SNES title, which it is. B-) It almost feels like an unreleased Sega Genesis title with a strapped on & out of this world awesome SNES Soundtrack. Friend rented this one right when the SNES was fresh on the shredder scene, i myself didn't play too much unless it was one of the sidescroller stages...Those Sim City town stages threw me off then and they still throw me off now. :p

I love Actraiser; the early SNES "look" and unique gameplay elements combine to make a masterful game in my opinion. It's basic with the sidescrolling, platforming, and town building but it all just works for me. Maybe because it was one of those first SNES I rented, but I recently played it briefly and was not bothered at all by the sim part. Then again, I enjoyed Sim CIty growing up but now playing that is like listening to Egon Spangler talk about his spores collection.

Try this for Hard Mode; highlight OPTIONS then press DOWN twice.

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

374. Posted:

Thanks RynIcarus for 'Acting' opon an Act Raiser Tip. Oh man, they don't get worse than that Boils & Goules! :P If it works, ActRaiser will be officially on the 'To Play & Slay' list. B-)

I'll try this trick out as soon as I'm done With Wario Land 2 for the GameBoy, which I highly recommend. I'm not too sure if it's quite up to par as the original in terms of controls and polish...Then again, in ways I find it superior. I mean WL2 is 'twice' as long and introduces a lot of awesome Wario Transformations, the bizzare factor is a bit higher(wario turns into a squashed Bat, a crippled zombie just to name a couple) I I love them for different reasons but i can see why most people favor the original.....Plus it's got a World Map, unlike WL2's Chapter based Story book.

Anyways! I'm just Fatal Fury'd and pissed that my WL 2 Gameboy 'color' cart came broken and bent in the mail....It wouldn't fit in my GBA, so i had to settle for the boring Black & White original WL2 Cart instead. Sigh* I'm getting another GBC version sent out for free, but I've already ventured in this little Wario fiesto and there's no way in hell i'd start over on the Color version......

Besides, the color version didn't come out until YEARS later, i'll just look at it this way. The original is older, and Wario Land/Mario Land freaks during that time played THIS baby as soon as it was hot off the shelves, unlike the Color version which was released randomly years afterwords. I'll just play the color version here and there for kicks....And you know, that's truly one thing I hate about these original GB games...The black and white dreary color pallette(Or Monochrome and the extremely mild 'better than nothing' GBC/GBA color pallette which gives GB games a 'slight' crummy hint of color, barely that is)....'Nothing' stands out as far as World color varations go, it's just different black and white scenery which usually gets scrambled when trying dig up some of those most righteous portable gaming memories. :p

How am i supposed to enjoy a beautiul sandy beach, lush & vivid cartoony green trees, with a bright blue sky, crystal aqua waves and little cute tropical colored Sword fish swimming to poke me in the tooshy (ahem, stage from WL2!) when the damn game is in Black & White? :p Sucks the atmposhere and fun factor down by quite a bit. Oh well, Wario Land 3 is in Color, so it's going to be quite exciting seeing that one for the first time. B)

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

375. Posted:

One of the best shmups ever - probably the originator of the genre - is on Atari 2600. Aaaah, retro goodness. If anyone has a working 2600, this game should be in your library.

Untitled

Untitled

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage

Mk_II

376. Posted:

That brings back a lot of sweet memories! the arcade version of Vanguard was the one and only arcade game i have ever truly mastered. I could keep playing forever, it just recycled the levels over and over and i knew them all by heart. They just dont make 'm like that anymore...

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code 0731-4737-4010 AC:NL Dream Code 7600-2509-4051 Animal Crossing Blog

AuthorMessage

MrArkade

377. Posted:

I need a SNES power adapter. I found a SNES at a car boot sale for just £2! However it came with no wires and only a 3rd party controller. Yellowed plastic too but it actually looks kinda cool.

MrArkade

AuthorMessage

KingMike

378. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

I think you have to beat the game once to get Professional Mode. Indeed you get your HP meter from your saved game, but I don't think you get magic, but I'm not sure.

What is stranger is that the PAL version has a difficulty select along with an Action Mode that is not in either NTSC version.
It is different in that you get five lives and max HP starts at the minimum (so it is independent of the saved game on the cart) and you find max HP and magic icons throughout the game. But you don't get continues.
My guess is perhaps it was based on the Nintendo Super System (arcade console) version, but with one difference: the PAL version has 50hz sound but the gameplay is still 60hz. (whereas the NSS was full 60hz) And the NSS version allowed continues, possibly because it used time-based credits.

Is it too bad NTSC consoles can't play PAL games without serious modification or a rare/expensive cheat device.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Linky_97

379. Posted:

Sonic Adventure 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QHovhESW8&list=UUN_wvdNE...

It sucks but idk.

Wii U online games:
Injustice Gods Among Us, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge, Assassin's Creed III, Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2 Wii U Edition and Trine 2: Directors Cut
3DS Online games:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Tell me if you want to play :)

3DS Friend Code: 0387-8763-9592 | Nintendo Network ID: Linky97

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

380. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

One of the best shmups ever - probably the originator of the genre - is on Atari 2600. Aaaah, retro goodness. If anyone has a working 2600, this game should be in your library.

Untitled

Untitled

Nice! A most righteouse & radical ReTrO buy indeed. B-) I still need to get an Atari 2600(The final system i'll be adding to my console collection aka > Nes, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii & Genesis)....Like the Angry video game nerd mentioned, there's something so surreal about playing the atari late at night, on a mid 80's wood panel TV while hearing crickets chearping in the background .lol :p

Any solid Atari Recommendations? I use to adore Pitfall Hell, I'd even buy Halloween regardless of the suckage. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy