Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 241 to 260 of 620

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

241. Posted:

Your right @StarFox. It is "Spelling Jungle". Do you know if it only operates on Windows 3.1? I still want to complete it.

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

bub166

242. Posted:

Recently I've really been getting back into the SNES. I haven't played a lot of SNES games, but it's still my favorite. The question is, with the collection on the Wii VC, is it necessary to get one? The novelty alone of having it is pretty cool, and I prefer using the original control scheme, but I think the classic controller emulates it pretty well. Of course, I don't have one, so I'd have to buy one or two. I already have Super Mario RPG and DKC2 on the VC, which it is impossible to play DKC2 with a GC controller, so that just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, most SNES games are a good deal more expensive on Amazon or eBay compared to the VC, like Super Metroid being about 20 dollars from what I found. Not to mention Chrono Trigger, which costs over 50 dollars most of the time on Amazon.

Then there is the factor that the VC isn't complete, but it is pretty close. The main things it lacks for me are Earthbound, (too expensive for my budget anyways) Killer Instinct, and maybe Yoshi's Island. Not very many, but then, I am not very educated on many games outside of Nintendo-made on the SNES. There could be gold that I wouldn't experience without buying the SNES. The thing is, I really don't know.

Console space isn't a problem. I have plenty of room. I can easily get the cords and controllers if need be. A SNES alone I have found can go for about 30-40 dollars on Amazon. So I could get the whole deal for under 50 dollars. The thing is, my budget isn't high. Probably about 100 dollars. I'm leaning towards getting the real deal, because I can get SMAS for about 15 dollars, and then maybe a Final Fantasy or Link to the Past and I'd be set until I have more money for games. Enough rambling though, does anyone know what I should do here?

Nintendo - Where even first person shooters ooze creativity.

AuthorMessage

SKTTR

243. Posted:

• NAMCO MUSEUM REMIX (Wii)

A compilation with 9 old NAMCO arcade originals from the early 80ies (and 5 remakes):

1. PAC & PAL (Arcade)
2. CUTIE-Q (Arcade)
3. GALAXIAN (Arcade)
4. XEVIOUS (Arcade)
5. SUPER PAC-MAN (Arcade)
6. MAPPY (Arcade)
7. GAPLUS (Arcade)
8. DIG DUG (Arcade)
9. PAC-MANIA (Arcade)

10. RALLY-X REMIX
11. PAC'N ROLL REMIX
12. GALAGA REMIX
13. GATOR PANIC REMIX
14. PAC-MOTOS

It was 14 Euro for 14 games which is pretty good I think.

• GUNBLADE NY & L.A. MACHINGEUNS - ARCADE HITS PACK (Wii)

A compilation of 2 SEGA arcade lightgun classics:

1. GUNBLADE NY: Special Air Assault Force (Arcade) 1996
2. L.A. MACHINEGUNS: RAGE OF THE MACHINES (Arcade) 1999

Only 4€ new and sealed on Amazon. No way to skip this.

Edited on by SKTTR

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage

noblo601

244. Posted:

Hi everyone, I have seen Pilotwings 64 for very cheap at my local store. I have never played a pilotwings game, and whilst I do have a 3ds on layby, I don't know if the game is for me.

Is the 64 version a good stand alone game, and furthermore is it a good representation of the 3ds game?!

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

AuthorMessage

SKTTR

245. Posted:

Pilotwings 64 is pretty good, especially if you found it very cheap. It is one of the first N64 games, so the visuals are a bit blocky and blurry, but on the other hand the draw distance was amazing. There are various different vehicles, with Rocket Belt, Hang Glider and Gyrocopter being my favourites. Getting a perfect score on each mission is a real challenge and there are plenty of bonus missions (Parachute, Jumble Hopper, Cannon Fire, Birdman). If you like games with a focus on flying then this is a good game. It has plenty of easter eggs too, and I really love the music of this game. Just make sure you have a good (new) N64 controller as you need to have a very precise analog stick. It's much better than SNES-Pilotwings. I don't know about the 3DS version.

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage

Ryno

246. Posted:

bub166 wrote:

Recently I've really been getting back into the SNES. I haven't played a lot of SNES games, but it's still my favorite. The question is, with the collection on the Wii VC, is it necessary to get one? The novelty alone of having it is pretty cool, and I prefer using the original control scheme, but I think the classic controller emulates it pretty well. Of course, I don't have one, so I'd have to buy one or two. I already have Super Mario RPG and DKC2 on the VC, which it is impossible to play DKC2 with a GC controller, so that just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, most SNES games are a good deal more expensive on Amazon or eBay compared to the VC, like Super Metroid being about 20 dollars from what I found. Not to mention Chrono Trigger, which costs over 50 dollars most of the time on Amazon.

Then there is the factor that the VC isn't complete, but it is pretty close. The main things it lacks for me are Earthbound, (too expensive for my budget anyways) Killer Instinct, and maybe Yoshi's Island. Not very many, but then, I am not very educated on many games outside of Nintendo-made on the SNES. There could be gold that I wouldn't experience without buying the SNES. The thing is, I really don't know.

Console space isn't a problem. I have plenty of room. I can easily get the cords and controllers if need be. A SNES alone I have found can go for about 30-40 dollars on Amazon. So I could get the whole deal for under 50 dollars. The thing is, my budget isn't high. Probably about 100 dollars. I'm leaning towards getting the real deal, because I can get SMAS for about 15 dollars, and then maybe a Final Fantasy or Link to the Past and I'd be set until I have more money for games. Enough rambling though, does anyone know what I should do here?

Yes, you should get a SNES! B-) It is the second greatest system of all time (a close second to the NES of course and just my opinion). :D The best thing about owning the retro consoles is that you are not limited to what Nintendo offers for download. I am not big fan of downloading games in general. There are so many great games to discover that you have never even heard of yet and that is just part of the fun of owning a retro console. As you have already found out with the VC and DKC2, you just cannot beat the original controller to get the most enjoyment out of the classics. Oh, and make your first SNES game Super Castlevania IV! :)

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

247. Posted:

@Bub166: If you have the money and the space for it I say heck yeah go for it. As Ryno said having the actually console as a opposed to the VC on the Wii is that you dont have any restrictions on what game you can buy excpet for availability and how hard it is to find. There are so many good games on the the SNES that will probably never be released on the VC for various reasons stuff like Starfox and Super Mario World 2, that the only chance you will have to play these great games is if you own a SNES. A good place to check too are thrift stores and garage sales. Also check swap meets too if you have some in your area. Good luck on getting your retro collection started. :D

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

248. Posted:

@Bub166 Even with the VC I would say definitely go ahead and get a SNES if you have the space and money. Many games that aren't available on the VC are actually kind of cheap. (Although as you said there are plenty that are expensive.) For example I bought Star Fox for $3! The collection value is nice and just having a real SNES and it's controller gives you a special feeling. Most games won't save anymore unless you fix them up so it's better to play those in one play through if you can, but they're still plenty of fun! There's nothing wrong with having the original SNES and still buying SNES games for it. This way you have a much more options.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

249. Posted:

@Ryno

So what do you think of StarTropics so far? B-)
that game for me was a 10, up until the final act. ST for me easily beats the original LOZ, yet it's so bogus and whack that such a masterpiece like this kind of slipped under the radar.

Oh and what did you guys think of.....

I missed out on this one, seemed to be a smidge like Mega man, with one amazing soundtrack as well. :D

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
Nintendo FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

250. Posted:

Some more Journey to Silius tunes for your enjoyment. ;)

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

SKTTR

251. Posted:

I haven't played it, though I heard a few rumours about it.

It was going to be a Terminator game, but they somehow lost the license.
This actually a very good action game that would have blown away all the other crappy Terminator games.
(Well maybe it was too good to be a Terminator game?) :P
Fortunately without the Terminator license attached to it, there are good chances that SUNSOFT releases it on VC.

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

252. Posted:

I never had that game. I had the terrible Terminator 2 game instead.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

ogo79

253. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

I haven't played it, though I heard a few rumours about it.

It was going to be a Terminator game, but they somehow lost the license.

this is true

iap-tv.com
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

254. Posted:

Well hopefully it hits the VC, it's another Gem I'd love to try out.
And will Kickle Cubicle ever see the day of light on the VC? Freakin' couldn't get enough of that game back in the day. That's another one I'd love to get CIB off eBay. B-)

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

255. Posted:

Speaking of ebay: is Yoshi's Island for the SNES that still saves worth $19 + $3 for shipping?

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

256. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Speaking of ebay: is Yoshi's Island for the SNES that still saves worth $19 + $3 for shipping?

If you are talking about Super Mario World 2 than heck yes thats a good deal.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

bub166

257. Posted:

I'm curious of another topic on the SNES, the whole saving issue. I'm interested in games like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, and if I can't save for those games, it would be kind of game breaking... I tend to be the type of guy who juggles games rather than play through one and then go to the next one, so having to play it all without switching games would kill me. I can see that as a problem with Legend of Zelda too.

So is this saving issue common? Is it a console problem, or a problem with the games itself? And then, I heard mention of it being fixable. Is it easy and/or quick to fix it? Or will it require something like that special screwdriver required to open up a cartridge, or any other items I would need to buy, and about how long would a game's save feature last?

Nintendo - Where even first person shooters ooze creativity.

AuthorMessage

KingMike

258. Posted:

Yep, it's common. SNES games are coming on being 15-20 years old. While batteries have lasted much longer than Nintendo's 5 year estimate, they can't last forever.
It'll require a special screwdriver bit to open the cart, and I believe you'd need to know how to use a soldering iron to replace the battery.

(though what concerns me more is that I don't know if anyone's done a tutorial or something on how to open Famicom carts, in case I ever need to. All I've heard is that have to be pulled open somehow, but doing it wrong can break the case, so I don't want to risk doing it the wrong way. I guess we should be oddly thankful for games that preferred long passwords? :P)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

259. Posted:

bub166 wrote:

I'm curious of another topic on the SNES, the whole saving issue. I'm interested in games like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, and if I can't save for those games, it would be kind of game breaking... I tend to be the type of guy who juggles games rather than play through one and then go to the next one, so having to play it all without switching games would kill me. I can see that as a problem with Legend of Zelda too.

So is this saving issue common? Is it a console problem, or a problem with the games itself? And then, I heard mention of it being fixable. Is it easy and/or quick to fix it? Or will it require something like that special screwdriver required to open up a cartridge, or any other items I would need to buy, and about how long would a game's save feature last?

My Super Metroid Game Pak still saves after 16 years and even my NES Legend of Zelda and StarTropics games still save. The batteries are super easy to change and you can either solder them or tape the batteries down. Plenty of how-to's on the Internet. All you need is to open the games is a cheap security bit screwdriver.

Here is a link to a "kit:" http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/32-Nintendo-NES/49...
Here is the link on how to replace the battery for the SNES: http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/snes_game_battery_guide.htm

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

Ryno

260. Posted:

@Waveboy
StarTropics is awesome so far! I love the tropical vibe, bright colors, and the island beats and not to metnion Mike Jones is from my hometown Seattle. ;) Unfortunately I have not played much of it, in fact I have not played much in the way of video games lately. I am as perplexedas much as you are as to why this series is so under the radar? Oh well, got to love getting quality underated games like Startropics CIB for cheap :D

Journey to Silius looks like another under the radar NES gem. Thanks for pointing that out. I am usually not a fan of Sunsoft games but maybe they got that one right.

You should be able to find Kickle Cubicle CIB pretty cheap on Ebay. I never played it but it is one of those games that even though you never played it, you at least heard of it. I wasn't really into puzzle games after Soloman's Key.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery