Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 201 to 220 of 643

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

201. Posted:

noblo601 wrote:

Can I just say that the best retro item I have ever purchased has to be a Gameboy Advance SP. I bought it a month or two ago, and because of the clamshell design the screen is in perfect condition, no scratches at all.

I bought Super Mario Kart Advance with it at the time, but the games that I have really played since getting it are all of my old gameboy and gameboy colour games. Don't get me wrong, I have always been big on playing these games on my game boy colour, but was finding it harder and harder to play because of the glare and lack of backlight (no idea how I used to play all the time). With the added advantage of the backlight, the SP has created a bit of a gameboy renaissance in my life.

I have started purchasing some of the titles I never owned (Which are all cheap), and I am getting so much fun, enjoyment and plenty of hours of gaming on the cheap, whilst the backlight means I can go back and replay my old favourites (fortunately these all seem to have save files, so they are perfect for a level here or there).

The games that I have are:

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 3
Wario Land 3
Donkey Kong
Adventure Island
Dr. Mario
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Gameboy Gallery
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Currently bidding on:
Donkey Kong Land 2
Battletoads
Links Awakening DX

Are there are any other gems that I am missing out on?

Hell yes! B-)

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
Kirby's Dreamland
TMNT II: Back from the Sewers

Wario Land 2 - Have it, but i have yet to play it....Apperantly it's the weakest of the WL titles
Kirby's Dreamland 2 - Haven't played this one either, but it looks better than the original
TMNT III: Radical Rescue! - I need this one, people seem to love it as it has a 'Metroid' spin to it.
Mega Man V - Supposably the best Portable GB Mega Man AND it's actually an original game.
Contra: Operation C - Also in my collection, but i haven't given it a go yet.

As for the TMNT games, if you grew up with TMNT and were a fan of the beatem' up gameplay than you'll get a kick out of the first 2 GB games. Not quite as awesome as TMNT II and IV for the Arcade, Nes and Snes, but for portables they're actually pretty stellar. The original is pretty primative though, and incredibly easy.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

202. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

noblo601 wrote:

Can I just say that the best retro item I have ever purchased has to be a Gameboy Advance SP. I bought it a month or two ago, and because of the clamshell design the screen is in perfect condition, no scratches at all.

I bought Super Mario Kart Advance with it at the time, but the games that I have really played since getting it are all of my old gameboy and gameboy colour games. Don't get me wrong, I have always been big on playing these games on my game boy colour, but was finding it harder and harder to play because of the glare and lack of backlight (no idea how I used to play all the time). With the added advantage of the backlight, the SP has created a bit of a gameboy renaissance in my life.

I have started purchasing some of the titles I never owned (Which are all cheap), and I am getting so much fun, enjoyment and plenty of hours of gaming on the cheap, whilst the backlight means I can go back and replay my old favourites (fortunately these all seem to have save files, so they are perfect for a level here or there).

The games that I have are:

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 3
Wario Land 3
Donkey Kong
Adventure Island
Dr. Mario
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Gameboy Gallery
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Currently bidding on:
Donkey Kong Land 2
Battletoads
Links Awakening DX

Are there are any other gems that I am missing out on?

As for the TMNT games, if you grew up with TMNT and were a fan of the beatem' up gameplay than you'll get a kick out of the first 2 GB games. Not quite as awesome as TMNT II and IV for the Arcade, Nes and Snes, but for portables they're actually pretty stellar. The original is pretty primative though, and incredibly easy.

Besides the first TMNT game on GB, TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan has the Konami Code in it. How can you pass up a game that makes use of the Konami Code? :D

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

snigel1

203. Posted:

Like shoot em ups? Look for Solar Striker and Nemesis.

http://twodimensions.me – Short reviews of (classic) games.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

204. Posted:

I found Super Metroid and DKC 2 for the SNES on ebay. What's the highest I should bid on both? Right now Super Metroid is $6.25 and DKC 2 is $4.25. Shipping is only $2.00 for both.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

TKOWL

205. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I found Super Metroid and DKC 2 for the SNES on ebay. What's the highest I should bid on both? Right now Super Metroid is $6.25 and DKC 2 is $4.25. Shipping is only $2.00 for both.

Dude, that's a steal. Get them!

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

206. Posted:

Dragoon wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Dude, that's a steal. Get them!

Alright, will do! :)

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

207. Posted:

kick Master
It's like a Wizard/fantasty version of NInja Gaiden, except you kick! and KICK! lol :p
I've only played a couple of stages of it, but it seems pretty rad and you can get this one for pretty cheap nowadays. And that music? Flipping's awesome! Also, the hero 'unmasked' looks a lot like Ryu in Ninja Gaiden for the Nes.

Skip to 0:20 For the first stage and to hear the killer music. B-)

Edited on by WaveWarlock

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

208. Posted:

Oh and there's one Nes game i fondly remember renting at my local video store back in either late 80's or early 90's, yet I can't remember the name! :p It's been bugging me for years. I remember it being a side scroller, and the first boss was medusa....And she of course could turn you into stone, and she had snakes for hair. Duh!

And you were in some castle, i think....I'm not too sure if it was popular and more along the lines of either being sucktastic, or an obscure gem. But the first stage has always stuck with me for all of these years. It actually kind of spooked me out. :o

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Ryno

209. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Oh and there's one Nes game i fondly remember renting at my local video store back in either late 80's or early 90's, yet I can't remember the name! :p It's been bugging me for years. I remember it being a side scroller, and the first boss was medusa....And she of course could turn you into stone, and she had snakes for hair. Duh!

And you were in some castle, i think....I'm not too sure if it was popular and more along the lines of either being sucktastic, or an obscure gem. But the first stage has always stuck with me for all of these years. It actually kind of spooked me out. :o

Battle of Olympus perhaps?

This, along with Kickmaster are on my list!

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

210. Posted:

@Ryno: OMG Battle of Olympus. That has always been one of my favorite games but I was young when I last played it and wasnt sure where I was going or what to do. Still I always liked it.

One thing I remember was the commercials for Battle of Olympus especially the one that they had where they compared it to The Guardian Legend as to which game was harder. I am not sure if any of you guys remember that one. If I find it on youtube I will post it here.

@Waveboy: Yeah other than Battle of Olympus the only other game that comes to mind is Athena

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

211. Posted:

lol Hell no to Athena, I'm dead sure it wasn't that....Although based on this footage of Battle of Olympus, I'm now thinking it may of actually been it! I checked out some more footage on YouTube, and one of the dark gloomy purple-ish blue areas looked familuar, and there was even a medusa slithering around with a bow and arrow. Even the main character has me thinking.....Ya this must of been it.lol Either way I never played too much of it haha.

B-)Yet It was this game(or so i think) along with the awesomeness that was Kickle Cubicle that i rented on the same day. Those Nes gaming isles were huge back at my local videostore....Especially when you're a tiny 6 year old.lol

And you know, I've gotta say....The most toughest games to rent back in the day easily had to of been TMNT II: The Arcade game and Chip 'n Dale....I could NEVER get them, some spoiled mullet boppin kid with either have one resserved, or in Chip n Dales case the owner kept it long over due for weeks as the video store only had one copy!

It pissed me off to no end to the point where i had to go to my friends house to play his copy which he actually had for keeps. TMNT II on the other hand was a total beast to get a hold of. I can't tell you how many times i went to the video store to see the box there, with no Fluorecent orange case behind it, or there WAS with one of those sad smily faces stuck on the front corner indicating that it was 'out' Does anybody else remember those flurescent colored cases with those smily faces?lol

But ya, TMNT was the craz' back in those days so what did you expect. Yet I remember finally getting it one night and hitting up Pizza Hut the same night right after I picked it up, good times! But I gotta admit, when I fired up the game up for some reason i had no idea how different it would look compared to the superior arcade version haha. Either way I loved the hell out of it.

Man I miss being a kid! The late 80's and early 90's were ace! Yet i wish i were born earler....Either way my youngster days were amazing and I'd DIE if i were kid in this day and age. Kids have it soooo bad nowadays it's not even funny, they don't have a clue how great it was back then regarding EVERYTHING. the golden retro age of gaming, nitnendo ruled the world, the movies were insanely imaginitive and amazing, the commercials on tv were super colorful, creative and blasted off your screen and were out of this world, the killer music, the colorful awesome toys and action figures, the funky boardgames, those epic cereal commercials, Y'NOID from those Domonio pizza, or the insane magical McDonalds commercials, Peewee's playhouse, TMNT, Ghostbusters, He-man ect.

or even those epic sleep overs where you and your friend would hit up the video store and go strolling around the VHS Horror isle looking for A Nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th or any other horror movie that you knew would scare you and your friend to bits, while getting pizza and candy and Nes games the same night!, the colorful funky dairing and out there clothing, just the different sense of atmosphere, just everything. ah man I miss it all! :p

Oh well, I'm building up my retro collection, i'm even going to buy some 80's clothing and a bunch of other things hehe. I don't even watch current tv anymore, when I'm at home i usually have an 80's cartoon or movie playing on my DVD player in the background haha. Yup! That's some killer random 80's rambling.lol

Edited on by WaveWarlock

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

212. Posted:

I was at my local Play N Trade and they had a gold Majora's Mask catridge with a label that looked holographic. Is that rare? I can't remember the price so what's the most I should pay for it?

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

213. Posted:

@Retro_on_theGo: I wouldnt say it is rare especially after how with OoT they actually had to stop taking reservations for the Gold Edition of that game. By the time Majoras Mask came out they had an idea of what to expect from OoT. I am not sure on the most you should pay for your best bet is maybe check the internet on places like Ebay and see what they are going for there and calculate the average and compare that to what the store wants for it. Usually with those stores though they have a set price and its usually around what everywhere else is asking for.

@Waveboy: Yep those were the days :D. Although I dont know what video store you are talking about but the video store I went too kept the games and movies behind the counter and the actual empty VHS or game boxes on the shelf. So if the box wasnt there for the game either they didnt have the game at all or it was rented out. So you would take the cardboard box up to the counter and they would give you the game in a black plastic VHS like box. But yeah TMNT 2 was pretty hard to get at my video store as well Chip N Dale not so much.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

214. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

@Retro_on_theGo: I wouldnt say it is rare especially after how with OoT they actually had to stop taking reservations for the Gold Edition of that game. By the time Majoras Mask came out they had an idea of what to expect from OoT. I am not sure on the most you should pay for your best bet is maybe check the internet on places like Ebay and see what they are going for there and calculate the average and compare that to what the store wants for it. Usually with those stores though they have a set price and its usually around what everywhere else is asking for.

@Waveboy: Yep those were the days :D. Although I dont know what video store you are talking about but the video store I went too kept the games and movies behind the counter and the actual empty VHS or game boxes on the shelf. So if the box wasnt there for the game either they didnt have the game at all or it was rented out. So you would take the cardboard box up to the counter and they would give you the game in a black plastic VHS like box. But yeah TMNT 2 was pretty hard to get at my video store as well Chip N Dale not so much.

Oh man, that giant wall of text i wrote had so many spelling mistakes haha. That's what happens when you don't proof read your crap while being sleep deprived at the same time.lol

Anyways yup! At my local videostore, they too kept the actual games behind the counter, yet they'd have an empty fluorescent Pink, orange, or sometimes green transperent case behind the actual Nes Box's on the game Isles IF it was in. Then you'd take that case up to the front and they'd put the game in it, if i remember correctly.

Yet I remember being so bummed whenever i rushed in, or hoping that they had something like Ducktales or Super Mario Bros 3 in, only to be let down with one of those sad plastic smiley clips on the top corner of the box.lol I remember one time This happened with me based on a few games i wanted to try out and i ended up renting f****ng Amagon lol

That game was next to impossible for me growing up. I couldn't even beat the 2nd stage. Funny enough i now have it in my Nes collection, ahhh the wonders of nostalgia. The box art was so 80's haha. I loved it! B-)

Untitled

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

215. Posted:

Oh and does anybody remember an unlicensed Nes game which had this goofy looking cartoony elvis dude on the front and it took place in space? I remember the cartridge itself was blue as well....A Nice indication of the total suckage that would await us gamers back in the day.lol We all knew if the case were blue or black that we were screwed.lol

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

216. Posted:

@Waveboy: Yeah as I said my video store had the actually cardboard NES box on the shelf and you would take that up to the register and give that to the person. They would than go into a backroom and come out a few seconds later with a black VHS case with the store logo on it and all that jazz and the game inside the case.

I am not sure what game you are talking about there Waveboy I didnt rent any games with a blue cartridge but I remember renting the Tengen Black cartridges. Which if my memory serves me right werent too bad of games. I remember the Tegen Tetris was way better than Nintendo's Tetris and of course there was RBI Baseball and Gauntlet which were two of my favorite Tengen games.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

217. Posted:

Will Mario is Missing run on Vista?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

218. Posted:

Oh, they also have banjoo kazooie.(or maybe it was twooie. Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) I keep hearing soooo many things about those games. Are they really good? I think it costs some where between $7-$19.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

219. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Oh, they also have banjoo kazooie.(or maybe it was twooie. Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) I keep hearing soooo many things about those games. Are they really good? I think it costs some where between $7-$19.

~$15 is a good price for them. I found Banjo-Kazooie had some problems but Tooie fixed all of them. Either way, they're both great games, but you're getting the better deal if they have Tooie.

StarFox wrote:

Will Mario is Missing run on Vista?

It's a Dos game, so it should work as long as you used DOSBox.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

220. Posted:

Ok

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373