Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 181 to 200 of 636

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

181. Posted:

__Ste wrote:

Hi everyone, I was recently thinking that I have missed a lot of treasures at the GCN level and was thinking of looking for some, I loved Eternal Darkness and Beyond Good and Evil, and what I realized is that I like adventure games with a good story but not particularly difficult game play. Like maybe there is a trick to beating the boss monsters but once you figure it out it is not that hard to pull off, at the same time i don't want it too easy either. More up to date I like Twilight Princess (this was my first try at zelda) and Resident Evil 4 both were wii versions. Not sure how clear I made myself but does anyone have any ideas, thanks

You might want to look into The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid:The Twin Snakes, Prince of Persia:the Sands of Time, Tomb Raider:Legend, and maybe even Resident Evil 0 if you don't mind tank controls.

I'll mention Lost Kingdoms 2 as well but the story is not such a big part of that game -but it's fun and it's there. Also Star Fox Adventures is just like Zelda; but I hated the shooting segments, especially later with the difficult teradactyl dragoon bit.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

182. Posted:

Should I get a Sega CD?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

183. Posted:

I guess it depends on how much it costs and what games you're looking to play. Why not upgrade to a Dreamcast instead? They both cost the same used.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

184. Posted:

Should I get a Gameboy Micro or a second Gameboy SP?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

185. Posted:

Personally I always liked the design of the Gameboy SP. I liked the clamshell design so that way the screen doesnt get all scratched up in your pocket.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

186. Posted:

StarFox wrote:

Should I get a Sega CD?

I say you should get one. It may be full of FMV crap, but it has some great games like Sonic CD, Silpheed, Shining Force CD, and Final Fight CD.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

Retrogamer88

187. Posted:

i dunno if anybody knows this but there is a gameboy player 2 that can play more games on it and gameboy color games

Retrogamer88

AuthorMessage

Lotice-Paladin

188. Posted:

Getting SEGA Classics Collection for £4.

Even if it's not that good at least it's a good deal considering that many of the games are SEGA AGES remakes.

Not exactly a recommendation but if you want a compilation that is slightly different to the other Mega Drive/Genesis Collections then this is one you should look out for...should be about $8 in the US and for 7 games remade that isn't so bad.

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

189. Posted:

I bought a copy of Game & Watch Gallery 4 used months ago, and I had to return it because the save mechanism wasn't working.

I found the game on Amazon, with a 99% seller rating with over 13,000 ratings. The game will be about $14 or so (after shipping). Should I get it and see if this copy will work?

Edited on by The_Ink_Pit_Ox

AuthorMessage

Lotice-Paladin

190. Posted:

$14 is a good deal so you should check it out but of course return it if the game won't save.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

191. Posted:

Ok. I'm too young to remember the G&W, but I liked the compilation when I first got it.

AuthorMessage

JayArr

192. Posted:

Just bought an SNES system today. Any recommendations for games? Preferably nothing on VC though.

My current to get list is rather small.

Robo Trek
Secret of Evermore
Lufia
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

I know I am missing a lot of good stuff.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

193. Posted:

JayArr wrote:

Just bought an SNES system today. Any recommendations for games? Preferably nothing on VC though.

My current to get list is rather small.

Robo Trek
Secret of Evermore
Lufia
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

I know I am missing a lot of good stuff.

What type of games are you looking for RPG, Sports, Action?

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

LordJumpMad

194. Posted:

@JayArr
Try to get a copy of Shaq-Fu
It's the best SNES game Ever made.
You can trust me JR ;)

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage

JayArr

195. Posted:

@Task - I like all games.

@Jumpy. - I said SNES not Genesis, which is the only way to play Shaq-Fu in my opinion. =]

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

196. Posted:

JumpMad wrote:

@JayArr
Try to get a copy of Shaq-Fu
It's the best SNES game Ever made.
You can trust me JR ;)

As long as you get that get the SNES version of Mortal Kombat its waaaaay better than the Genesis version :P

In all serious some of the best SNES are on the VC already so I dont know what all I can recommend thats not going to be expensive but here it goes.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Especially if you liked the 90's animated series)
Batman Returns (IMO the best video game based off of a movie ever. It even used Danny Elfmans soundtrack)
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Aladdin
Lion King
Earthworm Jim
Illusion of Gaia
Joe and Mac
The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Killer Instinct
Star Fox
Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

Thats all I can think of now but that should get you started.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

noblo601

197. Posted:

Can I just say that the best retro item I have ever purchased has to be a Gameboy Advance SP. I bought it a month or two ago, and because of the clamshell design the screen is in perfect condition, no scratches at all.

I bought Super Mario Kart Advance with it at the time, but the games that I have really played since getting it are all of my old gameboy and gameboy colour games. Don't get me wrong, I have always been big on playing these games on my game boy colour, but was finding it harder and harder to play because of the glare and lack of backlight (no idea how I used to play all the time). With the added advantage of the backlight, the SP has created a bit of a gameboy renaissance in my life.

I have started purchasing some of the titles I never owned (Which are all cheap), and I am getting so much fun, enjoyment and plenty of hours of gaming on the cheap, whilst the backlight means I can go back and replay my old favourites (fortunately these all seem to have save files, so they are perfect for a level here or there).

The games that I have are:

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 3
Wario Land 3
Donkey Kong
Adventure Island
Dr. Mario
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Gameboy Gallery
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Currently bidding on:
Donkey Kong Land 2
Battletoads
Links Awakening DX

Are there are any other gems that I am missing out on?

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

AuthorMessage

Ryno

198. Posted:

@noblo601 I second that, I just bought a Gameboy Advance SP and it is awesome! My first three games I have bought for it are Link's Awakening DX, Metroid: Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission. Currently playing Link's Awakening. After those games I will be picking up the 3 GBA Castlevania's . As for GB games that were not included on your list I would add Gargoyle's Quest!

@JayArr Add Demon's Crest to the SNES list!

Edited on by Ryno

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

199. Posted:

@noblo601: Yeah the GBA SP was a great system I still have mine mainly to play my old GB games. I also love the fact that the GBA SP and the DS use the same charger.

Some games that I enjoyed that you might want to check out are:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan
Megaman V (The other four are just remakes of the first four NES games MMV is a completely fresh new story)
Tetris (If you have a GB you have to get this one)
Double Dragon

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

200. Posted:

JayArr wrote:

Yoshi's Island
Soul Blazer

noblo601 wrote:

Can I just say that the best retro item I have ever purchased has to be a Gameboy Advance SP. Are there are any other gems that I am missing out on?

Yoshi's Island
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
WarioWare
Golden Sun
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Mega Man Zero
Ninja Five-O
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.