Retro Forum

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Showing 141 to 160 of 639

AuthorMessage

brooks83

141. Posted:

I haven't played it, but I hear Road Rash Jailbreak is the closest to the feel of the Genesis games. I think the other 2 PS1 Road Rash games don't rely on combat that much.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

142. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Twisted Metal 2, Intelligent Qube

Edit: Apparently I.Q. is rather pricey ($50+) unless you get the Japanese import ($5-$15)
Unless PS1 is region-locked, I doubt buying the Japanese version would hinder the experience at all. You'd probably just hear "PERFECT!" in a different language.

The PS1 and PS2 are region-locked and there's no way to unlock them without going through some complicated and expensive process.:(

Lame. I can't believe I.Q. is so expensive. Oh! Some 3DO ports that are... almost as good on the PS.
Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

Road Rash 3D looks almost as good as the Genesis ones. I'll be sure to pick it up, thanks.

The 3DO version of Road Rash is the best one of the franchise imo.
I'm not sure if the port is 100% perfect but I'm sure it's definitely worth picking up.
It had a really great soundtrack for its time, too - it included 4 Soundgarden tracks, as well as Monster Magnet, Paw, Hammerbox, Therapy?, and Swervedriver.

Also make sure to consider Return Fire. It's a CTF game in which you use tanks, choppers, and jeeps to destroy the enemy base and return their flag to your own base. Later levels contain multiple bases for each side - only one of which has their flag. You have to employ some strategy, as recklessly invading each base may result in losing all of your vehicles.
It's especially great as a multiplayer game.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

143. Posted:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Twisted Metal 2, Intelligent Qube

Edit: Apparently I.Q. is rather pricey ($50+) unless you get the Japanese import ($5-$15)
Unless PS1 is region-locked, I doubt buying the Japanese version would hinder the experience at all. You'd probably just hear "PERFECT!" in a different language.

The PS1 and PS2 are region-locked and there's no way to unlock them without going through some complicated and expensive process.:(

Lame. I can't believe I.Q. is so expensive. Oh! Some 3DO ports that are... almost as good on the PS.
Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

Road Rash 3D looks almost as good as the Genesis ones. I'll be sure to pick it up, thanks.

The 3DO version of Road Rash is the best one of the franchise imo.
I'm not sure if the port is 100% perfect but I'm sure it's definitely worth picking up.
It had a really great soundtrack for its time, too - it included 4 Soundgarden tracks, as well as Monster Magnet, Paw, Hammerbox, Therapy?, and Swervedriver.

Also make sure to consider Return Fire. It's a CTF game in which you use tanks, choppers, and jeeps to destroy the enemy base and return their flag to your own base. Later levels contain multiple bases for each side - only one of which has their flag. You have to employ some strategy, as recklessly invading each base may result in losing all of your vehicles.
It's especially great as a multiplayer game.

To be quite honest, I thought the music was downright terrible. But music doesn't make or break a game. I'll make sure to grab it, along with the other Road Rash games Brook83 mentioned.

As for Return Fire...I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

brooks83

144. Posted:

Actually, if you have a PS3, can't you somehow download I.Q from the Japanese PSN?

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Lotice-Paladin

145. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

I would have said Smash Bros but I am betting you already have that.

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

True. It's shame that about 50% of the N64 library is Nintendo/Rare...

Actually, only about 20 or so games in the N64's library came from Nintendo - much less than any other generation. They relied much more on Rare, and even then they only put out maybe around 10 games. The problem is that they make up 50% of the games worth playing on it, and I didn't like half of what Nintendo put out, and I hated virtually every Rareware N64 game except for Donkey Kong 64 (and even then, that's mostly nostalgia talking). So basically my options are limited. In fact, I only have 15 N64 games currectly in my possession, including VC games, and I'm getting ready to sell half of them. Luckily its no longer my only console, but its still sad that I won't have much reason to play it like I used to.

Ah I see...I didn't expect that really...but when I think of the console, I can only think of the Nintendo/Rare games, any other game created is pretty unheard of...doesn't it also have one of the smallest libraries out of every console other then the add-on's SEGA created and that SuperGraphix?

Sorry to hear that you're selling it. Sounds like it just wasn't your perfered console despite liking a few of those games. :(

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

146. Posted:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

I would have said Smash Bros but I am betting you already have that.

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

True. It's shame that about 50% of the N64 library is Nintendo/Rare...

Actually, only about 20 or so games in the N64's library came from Nintendo - much less than any other generation. They relied much more on Rare, and even then they only put out maybe around 10 games. The problem is that they make up 50% of the games worth playing on it, and I didn't like half of what Nintendo put out, and I hated virtually every Rareware N64 game except for Donkey Kong 64 (and even then, that's mostly nostalgia talking). So basically my options are limited. In fact, I only have 15 N64 games currectly in my possession, including VC games, and I'm getting ready to sell half of them. Luckily its no longer my only console, but its still sad that I won't have much reason to play it like I used to.

Ah I see...I didn't expect that really...but when I think of the console, I can only think of the Nintendo/Rare games, any other game created is pretty unheard of...doesn't it also have one of the smallest libraries out of every console other then the add-on's SEGA created and that SuperGraphix?

Sorry to hear that you're selling it. Sounds like it just wasn't your perfered console despite liking a few of those games. :(

The smallest library out of any successful console, yes. It lasted 5 years and got less than 400 games. But what was good was indeed extremely good, and even when I had a PSOne I still played the N64 more. Although admittedly a lot of its classics from those days simply haven't aged very well, especially on the N64.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

147. Posted:

Ahem. Should I get Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage

J_K

148. Posted:

Uhh I hate to contradict you, but it was the TurboGraphix 16 that had the 400 odd games and really I think it was more when you consider the Japanese branch which got a hell of a lot more between the HuCards, CDs, and SuperCDs on the PC Engine. You can wiki it for good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc_engine Sadly the two things that really hurt it the most were the fact it only could do 512 colors and would display most of them at once, and also the main 8bit cpu was really crappy and gimped the pair of 16bit GPUs. But also those HuCards they used which didn't use full on chips and other stuff weren't all that quick and couldn't store as much data as normal chips in a cart could. New games came out for it up until 1999 and it came out in 1987 so it held in there.

The Supergrafix by them also is a failed system that sadly made it to market, and had like 7 games before they canned it. You can read up on it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGrafx

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

149. Posted:

[quote=J.K.]Uhh I hate to contradict you, but it was the TurboGraphix 16 that had the 400 odd games and really I think it was more when you consider the Japanese branch which got a hell of a lot more between the HuCards, CDs, and SuperCDs on the PC Engine. You can wiki it for good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pc_engine Sadly the two things that really hurt it the most were the fact it only could do 512 colors and would display most of them at once, and also the main 8bit cpu was really crappy and gimped the pair of 16bit GPUs. But also those HuCards they used which didn't use full on chips and other stuff weren't all that quick and couldn't store as much data as normal chips in a cart could. New games came out for it up until 1999 and it came out in 1987 so it held in there.

The Supergrafix by them also is a failed system that sadly made it to market, and had like 7 games before they canned it. You can read up on it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGrafx

[/quote]

Contradict who? The PC Engine had over 400 games last I checked, yes. That's more than the Nintendo 64, which had 387 games in total. Thus making it the smallest library out of any successful console. The other person did mention the Sega Add-ons and SuperGraphics as having less, and since both were failures, I acknowledged them by default.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

brooks83

150. Posted:

They made TurboGrafx games up until 1999? Were they released in America or just for the Japanese PC Engine? Also, were they actual licensed games? I'm pretty sure the TG was dead in America by about '96, but maybe I'm wrong.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

151. Posted:

Is Animal Crossing like the Sims?

AuthorMessage

Punny

152. Posted:

StarFox wrote:

Kind of, only you an control the character and there are no bathroom breaks. I guess they all hold it in. Then again, animals don't use toilets (except for those cats that are toilet trained). Watch where you step. ;)

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

153. Posted:

@Mickeymac:
You think the music in Road Rash is terrible?
I mean, the tracks that play while you're actually racing aren't very good (nor very loud); I hope that's what you meant.
Because if you're dissing a rock soundtrack with 4 Soundgarden songs on it, that would be very... unsettling.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

154. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

StarFox wrote:

Kind of, only you an control the character and there are no bathroom breaks. I guess they all hold it in. Then again, animals don't use toilets (except for those cats that are toilet trained). Watch where you step. ;)

Thanks. Also, should I get Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland? Is it like the first game?

AuthorMessage

Lotice-Paladin

155. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

The smallest library out of any successful console, yes. It lasted 5 years and got less than 400 games. But what was good was indeed extremely good, and even when I had a PSOne I still played the N64 more. Although admittedly a lot of its classics from those days simply haven't aged very well, especially on the N64.

I never had a N64 but it does have some great games on it (some of them though I don't personally like...).

Yeah, the 32-bit era is condemned by a lot of gamers....sort of like this generation hasn't been as good as anything from the previous one.

Anyways, I wouldn't say that the TGs colour palette let the console down (to J.K), the Mega Drive could only display 64 colours, but it was just as popular as the Super Nintendo, and didn't the Neo Geo have the most powerful hardware but the pricing and the library put off many gamers?

Edit: Come to think of it...the Neo Geo only had 150 games in it's 14 years of service (averaged at about 10 games per year). Making it the smallest library of any main console.

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

156. Posted:

I'm looking into Pokemon Stadium. It looks like it's based on strategy rather than being an RPG. That sounds pretty good. Should I get it?

AuthorMessage

TheLonelyGamer

157. Posted:

Yes, I highly recommend it, it's my favorite side Pokemon series.

3DS Friend Code: 1118 0249 3825
My Backloggery
My YouTube Channel
Nintendo Life Chat!

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

158. Posted:

Should I get the Mega Man X Collection?

AuthorMessage

Xkhaoz

159. Posted:

@SF Yes, you should. I have it, and it's great, and it has Battle and Chase.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

160. Posted:

Xkhaoz wrote:

@SF Yes, you should. I have it, and it's great, and it has Battle and Chase.

Ok, thanks.
{looks at sig}
Yeah, shut up kid.