Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 481 to 497 of 497

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal I see a lot of people just short of betting their right arm on the next Mini being a Game Boy, but personally, I think that's HIGHLY unlikely. Considering the proportions of the Minis, the screen will be even smaller than that of the Game Boy Micro, and the controls would become equally minute, making it all but unplayable.

Seeing as the previous ones were all home consoles, I think the chances of an N64 Mini are FAR more likely, and that will probably be the next Mini, provided that Nintendo actually will release another Mini, because regardless of the success of the current two Minis, that's still no guarantee.

@Lroy hakchi2 CE indeed. Which IS the latest version. It is better, more compatible, has more options and has another couple of advantages over the older version, so when I do find the time, either this coming week or the next, I'm going to give that a go.

I still don't quite understand what you mean with less appealing, since that is of course on one hand also a personal and/or taste thing, and for me personally, the only thing that I noticed, is that it seemed a bit softer, but that can also be the combination of the filter with 8 bit graphics, versus how the filter would display on 16 bit graphics. I would have to hook up the SNES Mini again to see if there actually IS a difference, because there may not be any at all. And I'm sitting just as far away from the screen as with the SNES Mini, thanks to the EXTRA long extension cords I ordered this time, so that also doesn't influence my impression of it.

The best way would probably be to do a side by side, but unfortunately, that's not an option for me, since I only have one HD TV, and only one TV with HDMI inputs. So, the best thing I could do, is just do a comparison by eye, by booting them up, one after the other.

As for the SNES Mini: that's done and dusted. My list is complete, and I'm going to leave all the games on there, so no swapping out for me. All I'll probably do, is update it to hakchi2 CE, but no changes will be made to my games list.

@Yosheel Wireless controllers for retro systems? Blasphemy, absolute blasphemy, I tell you...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

DarthNocturnal

@ThanosReXXX

Keep in mind that "Mini“ isn't the official name. They could probably just sell something that's the same size as the original GB, but with modern innards and features (backlight, save states, rechargeable batteries, maybe wireless if they're feeling generous). Then throw in 30 (or more) of the best GB/C had to offer, and you're done.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Yosheel

Nintendo markets these as classic editions. Not minis.

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

gcunit

Bear in mind though, if they released a Gameboy Classic with built in battery (a) the battery would likely be bespoke and therefore difficult to replace in the future and (b) the device would be less likely to have a USB port, so how would Nintendo enable us to fill out with ROMs as they've so kindly done with the other Classics?

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DarthNocturnal

The Classics are powered by run-of-the-mill smartphone USB chargers... why would (or should) they change that for a Classic with an actual rechargeable battery? Aside from undesired hacking (which they clearly don't seem to care much about, if the SNES Classic is any indication).

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Well, the name of the current two consoles is Classic Mini, and so far, we've had two 1/4 sized consoles, so I'd say it's pretty safe to say that this miniaturizing is the gimmick of them, so I'm not expecting there to be any full-sized one, much less a handheld, since we've only had consoles so far.

So, my money is on the N64 being next. And I wouldn't even be surprised, if that will be the last for some time to come as well, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens, I suppose. I'll publicly eat my words, and some humble pie, right here on NLife, if it somehow DOES turn out to be a Game Boy Mini...

@Yosheel They're called Classics in America, Minis in Europe and in Asia. Classic Minis, to be exact, so they very much ARE marketed as Minis. And seeing as they are also physically miniaturized, I'd say that the question about what is more likely to come next, is quite easy...

@gcunit I don't think that this will ever be a concern or a goal for Nintendo, so we can more than likely cross that one of the list of "reasons why they wouldn't do a Game Boy Classic/Mini"...

But, having said that, you just pointed out yet another very good reason, why there probably isn't going to be a Game Boy Classic Mini...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

gcunit

@DarthNocturnal You're right. I completely overlooked the need to charge the battery...

I've had a busy day.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DarthNocturnal

If miniaturizing it would negatively impact enjoyability, I don't don't they'd care what their prior marketing tag was in any region. It's one word. Just adopt the “Classic“ tag in other regions. Problem solved.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Yosheel

They could easily miniaturize the original game boy design to be more the size of the Gameboy color or even a bit smaller.

It would still be "mini" compared to the original. And to be honest the screen could be way smaller if they used better, backlight screens.

Anyway all this mini talk made me return to my playthrough of final fantasy 1. Got the class change at level 15, I heard the earliest you get it the better.

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX So you've changed your mind about Hakchi CE? That was the software version I originally suggested I may use back when I got my SNES Mini but you strongly advised against it as you said it was 'a fork' and not an official revision?

It doesn't really matter now as the Hakchi2 software seems to have worked for me - touch wood - with very little issues thus far. However, I am now curious as to what brought about the change of heart on your estimation of the CE variant?

Be good to know what IS the most recommended software to use going forward as I have had friends ask me my advice on what software to use and would rather pass on the best recommendation. I had been suggesting Hakchi2 as you and others had suggested previously.

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy The change of heart mostly comes from the fact that CE seems to be the version that keeps getting more updates, so apparently, the standard version has been surpassed, and I keep hearing good things about it. I'm not completely sure yet, but when I have the time, I'm going to dive into the available info to get a clear picture of the pros and cons of each version over the other.

And of course, the standard version also works; it's what's currently still installed on my SNES Mini (which I've re-modded three times in total, after every hakchi2 update), and I would dare to wager a bet that even an older version of hakchi2 would also still work just fine, but newer is usually better, but I want to be 110% sure, so once I have all the info, I'll give you an update.

Might take a while, though, so if you're pressed for time to find out, then I would advice you to look up some info or comparison videos, and make up your own mind on the matter.

Lroy

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for getting back to me fella. That all makes sense. I think for the time being with my own minis I will stick with the version of Hakchi2 I have. If then in future it is evident CE is now the way to go, I may look into migrating over.

As for advice for newcomers, I'll suggest they look into both Hakchi2 and CE to make up their own mind - as you surmised.

Best of luck with the tinkering if and when you do it and here's to playing some great NES and SNES games on these adorable little machines 👌

Retro Gamer

ThanosReXXX

@Lroy Hear! Hear!
And my pleasure...

ogo79

will this fad please die.
thanks. ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Lroy

bezerker99 wrote:

FINALLY!

I found a lone NES Classic controller at my local Wal-mart.

Huzzah!

Retro Gamer

digitalSoup

Hey everyone, Jason from the digitalSoup podcast and I wanted to let everyone know about a sweepstakes we have going on that might be up your alley. We have partnered with 8BitDo and are giving away the 8BitDo N30 Wireless Controller for the NES Classic Console. This controller is not only wireless but has separate turbo buttons for "A" and "B" along with a HOME button so you don't have to get off the couch.

This is a free promotion, you just need to be a subscriber (FREE) and you could be the winner. Hope to see some of you classic gamers entering!

https://digitalsouppodcast.com/2018/09/18/digitalsoup-8bitdo-...

digitalSoup

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic