Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 361 to 380 of 414

DarthNocturnal

You... misunderstood me (or I have bad wording. Or both). I'm well aware that FFV was only released for the Super Famicom originally. But that SFC had the same (or VERY similar) guts as what the SNES had. Different look, different name, same hardware. I guess I should've said “SNES family“ or “SFC family“. (EDIT: Although, I kinda did with “kin“.)

And yeah, import titles aren't going to happen. But dreaming is free.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Meowpheel

Oh no I totally got it, don't worry. I just kinda went on a tangent without notice, sorry.

They wouldn't use the localization made for a different console, mostly because it was sold as a PS game and never went trough the SNES, even if it's the same game... And since it never came out on the SNES (only the super famicom), then they simply won't add it to the hypothetical SNES Mini anyway.

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Atariboy

Dylan Cuthbert said nothing about the Super FX chip itself being the stumbling block.

We're well past the point where any patent protection would exist. Spend 5 minutes in a search engine checking out Japanese, US, and British patent laws. There's nothing ambiguous about it at all when 1993 was nearly 25 years ago. The co-processor doesn't have any onboard software code that could still be protected by copyright (Which is why the Retron 5 for example emulates it with no legal ramifications), and only patents protect the actual design of a chip. The most that could possibly be under active protection at this point is the Super FX name/logo itself, and even then, I doubt it's an active trademark any longer since they have to be regularly utilized to remain protected.

With the Super FX chip in the public domain, that leaves the two games themselves as potential stumbling blocks. And even if the surprising happened and they still held rights to some of their code for Star Fox and Star Fox 2 (Dylan Cuthbert left for Sony in the mid 1990's and was the head programmer as I recall, rather than management or part of the legal team negotiating all the fine print), just what makes you think Nintendo didn't pick up any lingering rights when Argonaut Software went belly up and had its assets auctioned by the bankruptcy court?

Remember that Argonaut imploded right about the same time as when the Nintendo Wii and the Virtual Console service that promised to give new life to Nintendo classics was launched, so surely they'd of grabbed it then for a song if they didn't already hold clear title to Star Fox.

Reminds me of all the Earthbound nonsense for why it would never reappear...

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

FlyPhotoCo

I haven't bought a NES game for a while but noticed that I have Shatterhand (bought for $12) and is currently worth around $60

FlyPhotoCo

Luna_110

Finally played with my NES mini.... but the games kicked my behind. I barely got to phase 4 in the original Mario Bros, so I'll have to put in a lot of hours to get good! It's truly a delight, the control is just as I remember my cousin's.

Massive backlogs are a gamer's worst enemy
Now playing: Bravely Default, Zelda Twilight Princess HD

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Meowpheel

Maybe it was because they discontinued the nes mini?

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

And it's not exactly wrong, either. The latter part, anyway.

TheLZdragon

bezerker99 wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo sucks. They are a shell of who they used to be

lol i don't even remember writing this post and certainly have no clue what i was referring too at the time. Oh well, I don't seem to be so butthurt now over whatever it was lol

I don't know what past you were stuck in anyway

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain A+, Tower A
Switch Username: LzWinky
Switch Friend Code:

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Jbyte

Look at eBay. One is listed for $50,000!

Jbyte

ogo79

Jbyte wrote:

Look at eBay. One is listed for $50,000!

sorry about that

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

I know one of those insane listings is "sold" but you have to wonder if the buyer actually paid or just clicked the buy button to tease the seller.
I saw Pat talking about an ebay seller selling fake NES and SNES console boxes (they did a particularly bad job faking the Nintendo logo, looks more like "N inte n d o") and I was tempted to leave a comment I found their listing, but then I hear ebay is not youtube and ebay could ban you for deliberately trying to spoil a sale with the "ask a question" form.

KingMike

ogo79

@bezerker99
it took every ounce of nice in my bones to decide free shipping as part of the deal.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

weebtrashed

If we get the SNES classic I don't even care

weebtrashed

Yellowtails

As much as I would like to see an SNES mini happen, i don't think Nintendo should bother with it if they are going to understock it like the NES mini.

Yellowtails

DarthNocturnal

Welp, Best Buy Canada got what I assume is their last shipment. All that's left is units that, by some miracle, got left on the shelves, and maybe Amazon. Otherwise... nothing.

All we can do is hope that maybe, just maybe, something manages to bore into the thick skulls of management at Nintendo, and they realize that maybe from now on, to not undershoot on production numbers, and to allow “test the market demand“ preorders should SNES Classic or a revised NES Classic become real someday.

But we're dealing with an “idiot savant“ company. So I'm not holding my breath.

Tasuki

@DarthNocturnal I doubt Nintendo learned their lesson, this isn't the first time this has happened. Let see there was

The Wii
Super Mario All Stars Wii port
The Wii U Gamecube adapter
Amiibos

Yeah I have just given up on them learning anything. Unless they get rid of whoever is in charge of ordering and people who don't have any business sense like Reggie it will continue to happen. I have come up with two conclusions

A) Nintendo just doesn't give a hoot about their customers anymore.
B) Nintendo has some kind of deal with scalpers

Anyway I am done with Nintendo, if I want to play their older games I can find other places to get them from like buying the old cartridges, "certain" sites and of course there's companies like Sony with the Disney Afternoon Collection that know how to properly market an item.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

DarthNocturnal

@Tasuki

They seemed to briefly learn with amiibo... but now it feels like they're slipping again. It feels like newer lines are back to “blink and you'll miss it“.

But yeah, they're a tightfisted, conservative Japanese company. The new pres hasn't changed that.

Also, Disney Afternoon Collection is Capcom, not Sony...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic