Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 261 to 280 of 408

Tasuki

@Masurao I get what you're saying. There's no harm in trying but sadly now that they are announced as discontinued I wouldn't be surprised if they are even harder to find due to scalpers.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

@Masurao Exactly. At this point I have just given up on getting one. Maybe in a few years I will find one at a thrift store or garage sale like I do with Atari Flashbacks nowadays.

My Backlog

skywake

It's worth remembering that the margin on a device like the NES Mini is fairly small compared to a traditional console. Not just initially but overall. If you sell a traditional console you can expect that the person who buys it will go on to buy ~5 games for it on average. And that's not including pre-owned games or indie/VC releases. You sell an NES Mini and once that transaction is complete that's the end of it.

So with Switch production potentially ramping up you can understand why Nintendo might shut down the NES Mini. If something has to be put on hold for a bit it would be the NES Mini. Even the Switch VC if/when it comes is going to make more money for them that the NES Mini ever could. I really do think the NES Mini was mostly there as a product Nintendo could release so they at least had something for Christmas 2016. I don't think they ever expected it to be any more than that.

But with that in mind, given how well it did? I wouldn't be surprised if we see variations on the idea going forward. And that could just as easily be the reason why they've stopped the NES Mini. Perhaps they're stopping it now in order to produce enough SNES Minis for Christmas this year. Who knows. But whatever they're doing I don't think it's necessarily as bad a move as the headlines and comment sections under them would suggest.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Tasuki

@DarthNocturnal Well that's what Nintendo wanted otherwise they wouldn't have discontinued it.

Last time I checked unmodded ones were going for $300 on ebay.

My Backlog

Eel

If you buy a modded unit (assuming they simply added more games or something) you can easily restore it to its unhacked status with the same program used to mod them.

So I'd consider those too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Meowpheel That's a good point, but I believe the modded are going for around the same price even a bit more.

Honestly at this point the best bet would either by another device like a Rasberry Pi, or Ouya and just play classic Nintendo games that way on an HD Device. Either that or buy a Retro USB AVS which is half the price of a NES Mini now.

My Backlog

Luna_110

I got a Nes Classic on the way (finally). Has anyone here modded it? Is it too hard?

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Tasuki

Luna_110 wrote:

I got a Nes Classic on the way (finally). Has anyone here modded it? Is it too hard?

You do know that we can't discuss that here. You will have to go elseware.

My Backlog

Eel

The general consensus is that it is "so easy to hack that a baby could do it".

But yeah, for the specifics you'll have to use Google.

Bloop.

Xyphon22

I got one and would like to be able to play with my son. If I am unable to find an official one, what would be the best 3rd party controller that won't cost a fortune? Gamestop has one by Yok for $15 and one by Nyko for $20. I'm definitely not paying $40 for the one that NL said was the best.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Eel

If you have any classic controllers for the wii, or can find any in stores, those work too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tasuki

Went hunting for one today. Went to 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets and a Walmart with No luck.

My Backlog

ogo79

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo sucks. They are a shell of who they used to be

yeah but the money you and i have been making off these systems eases the bitterness.
how bout dah?

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

LzWinky

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo sucks. They are a shell of who they used to be

I'd argue that they were worse in the NES days. The main difference is that there wasn't much competition aside from Sega.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

KingMike

@TheLZdragon Well, that's historical fact they were worse. Licensing exclusivity is probably a big reason even the competition from Sega was as small as it was. (and Atari legally busting that down was probably the most significant thing they did for gaming past the early '80s )
(though it was notable that former Atari division Tengen aka Atari Games taking matters into their own hands by cracking the NES lockout through more legally-questionable acts, as an act of defiance against Nintendo's license monopoly)

As much as the NES is one of my favorite consoles, can't deny the shady part of its history.

And then there was Kombatgate...

KingMike

Tasuki

@TheLZdragon Mark this day down in the history books, as I agree with Lz. The reason that there were great NES games like Ducktales, Mega Man, Tecmo Bowl etc. Is because of Nintendo's strong arm down right to monopolistic ideas and the fact that after the video game crash of 83 no other company wanted to have anything to do with video games in NA.

If Capcom, Square, Konami wanted to bring games to NA shores they had to go through and comply with Nintendo's rules. Even Sega wasn't relevant till the Genesis came out in NA but at the time of the Master System Nintendo had to much of the public gaming market in NA. Nintendo's ways is why you had companies like Atari do the things like they did with Tengen and the 1080 lockout chip. It's why Konami created she'll companies like Ultra.

Once a big company like Sony showed that Nintendo isn't the only one that can handle NA gaming it gave those companies another way to get their games out in NA without dealing with Nintendo's ways. And Nintendo lost its grip on the NA market.

I mean I can see why Nintendo was the way they were in the early days of the NES but by the time of the N64 era they were just a victim of their own greed and stubbornness. They thought they were untouchable. The were able to hold off Sega as they challeged their dominance in NA and they thought they could do the same with Sony, but like the saying goes Hell has no fury like a woman scorned. While I am not calling Sony a woman it was similar enough relationship Nintendo had with Sony with the Nintendo Play Station. Once the third party companies saw that the didn't hae to deal with Nintendo that was it. And I am sure that some of these companies still aren't happy with the way Nintendo treated them especially with when dealing with Sony they didn't need to jump through hoops.

Add that to Nintendo systems doing far less sales compared to PS, and Xbox (granted the Wii was an exception) and third parties are going to go where they can make the most money and get the most of their products out.

My Backlog

Tasuki

@DarthNocturnal They kinda did but they still used those tactics. Problem was yes Genesis was gaining ground, but Nintendo was still dominant. You saw some result of that like for example Mortal Kombat on SNES vs Genesis. Nintendo told developers no you cant have the blood and gruesome fatalities on the SNES version where as Sega said yes to them (granted you had to enter a code). Hence why the Genesis version out sold the SNES.

Also during the 16 bit era you had companies like Capcom who did well in NA due to the NES and because of that didn't want to bite the hand that fed them so to speak. That's why Mega Man The Wily Wars was never released physically in NA on the Genesis on why they were remakes of the NES games rather then a new Mega Man game. Also it's why Mega Man X never came to the Genesis. Konami was in the same boat as to why the SNES got TMNT IV Turtles in Time where as Genesis got Hypersonic Heist which some claim is inferior. Some also think Capcom's loyalty to Nintendo is why Disney outsourced the Genesis Aladdin to Virgin and why shortly afterwards Capcom lost the Disney license. Why deal with Capcom and Virgin to make games for two different systems when they can have Virgin do both like the Lion King for example.

As for the N64 that's a small part of that. Because there was Sony, companies could say now to Nintendo and their expensive cartridges and go with Sony's cheaper CDs. If Sony wasn't around, pretty sure companies would have went with the cartridge N64.

My Backlog

Octane

So they're going to produce five SNES minis, disappoint a lot of people and repeat the same thing in 2018 with the N64?

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.