Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 101 to 120 of 408

Eel

I have multiple USB plugs around the house. Most people with gadgets do.

It's gonna interesting to see what kind of set up it'll need though... It's a small thing, with buttons on the system that you need to press and short controller cables.

It may end up being a bit... Tangly.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bezerker99

My Wii U and PS3 both have multiple USB ports along with my TV. My cell phone also came with a charger that has a USB port which can plug into an electrical socket.

Also, I did a google search and there are Wiimote extensions you can buy.

Me being the old fuddy duddy gamer that I am, I am genuinely excited over this thing!!! (I even took Nov. 11th off, as that's the day it gets released.....but having my doubts as to if I can get one on launch day).

Edited on by bezerker99

KingMike

To summarize the exclusive games (8 are exclusive to each version, 22 games are on both versions).
Atlantis no Nazo vs. Simon's Quest: we get the less player-hating game
Tsuppari Oosumo vs. Tecmo Bowl: Tecmo gives the Japanese sumos and the Americans FOOOOTBAAAALLL!
Final Fantasy III vs. Final Fantasy: Each region gets the finalest fantasy that was commercially released in its language (okay, JP vs. NA for this joke)
Nintendo sports game: NES Open Tournament Golf vs. Punch-Out. So I heard Japan just doesn't care about Punch-Out much so I suppose they had to replace it with something?

And for the last four exclusives, Japan gets two Kunio games, and Solomon's Key and Yie-Ar Kung Fu.
As much as River City Ransom and Daiundoukai are probably good, I think the western exclusives of Bubble Bobble, Donkey Kong Jr., StarTropics and Kid Icarus is ultimately a better set. I'd imagine many would consider YAKF nearly unplayable after Street Fighter II set the fighting game standard.
(I wonder why Nintendo didn't include Joy Mecha Fight, the only non-Smash fighter they've made.)

One thing I wonder about River City Ransom: did the Japanese version support passwords? I know it was designed to use an external memory card thing called the ASCII Turbo File (one of only two non-ASCII, aka Enterbrain now, made games to use it) to save games. I'd guess that is where the Restore Point feature comes in.

KingMike

MarkTrav82

Hey all
just a quick question. there is a book coming out when this console is released. its called " Nintendo - Playing with Power: Nintendo NES Classics Game Guide"

Im trying to understand it... is it a strategy guide??? or just a book to show the history of games?? im a bit confused...

https://www.primagames.com/games/nintendo-nes-classics/produc...

my 71 year old father can't wait for this console but he wants to get a guide to help him.. If this isn't a guide I might just order an old one from ebay....

thanks!!

MarkTrav82

MarkTrav82

thanks all for the information. I'll search for a printable PDF or something.. he just wants a guide for "the legend of zelda" and "final fantasy"

he actually asked me if he could call the nintendo help hotline..... made me laugh.. i dont know if anyone here remembers that?? I told him nintendo canceled that once the interent was invented...... lol

MarkTrav82

skywake

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

It's not just the short leads. Though not mentioned in the article below, I've read elsewhere that like some of their handhelds it doesn't come supplied with a plug.

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen a TV with HDMI that lacks a USB port. Even those cheap $100 ones designed for motels and caravans have one. The only screens I've seen with HDMI but no USB? They've been monitors. Monitors that generally live next to a PC.

And even if you happen to have one of the few TVs ever to have HDMI but not USB? Then surely you still have a USB wall-plug. It's 2016 not 2006. Even if you're fairly late on the tech curve you probably have a smartphone. There's a fair chance you're at least on your second one. So you surely have a USB wall-plug lying around somewhere. I have a whole box of them and I sure as hell don't upgrade my phone every year.

And even if not. Even if you somehow have a TV that has no USB plugs. Even if you somehow haven't upgraded your phone since 2008. Even if you don't know of anyone who has ever upgraded their phone or tablet. You can go to the shops and get a USB wall-plug. Hell, get one of those ones with multiple USB ports and use it to charge all your phones/tablets etc. Then you'll have a box full of USB wall-plugs to use for things like the NES Classic Mini.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Tasuki

MarkTrav82 wrote:

thanks all for the information. I'll search for a printable PDF or something.. he just wants a guide for "the legend of zelda" and "final fantasy"

he actually asked me if he could call the nintendo help hotline..... made me laugh.. i dont know if anyone here remembers that?? I told him nintendo canceled that once the interent was invented...... lol

Actually IIRC the hotline hasn't been gone for that long. I want to say it was around till the early 2000's

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

KingMike

Remember now the mid-2000s version of the official Nintendo forum.
Wow that place had RULES, like newbies only being allowed one forum, and only the well-established members were allowed to post links or images.
(then they replaced that with a "strictly tech support only, no gaming questions" forum.)

KingMike

Peek-a-boo

Urgh...

Although I am getting one this time next week, this photo has knocked my enthusiasm down a peg:

Untitled

I knew the lead for the controller was going to be short, but not this short!

You'd be practically sitting three or four feet away from the television screen if this set up is anything to go by.

Peek-a-boo

Tasuki

Dang I hope Nintendo at some point releases more of these. I want to get one, but.have no idea where to get one. Amazon.com says they are out of stock, Gamestop isn't taking preorders on it, and I don't want to pay an exorbitant amount for one from an eBay scalper.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Eel

Darn they doubled the price here in Mexico. It's like, as expensive as a 2ds.

And no, this is the base price, not people online.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Luna_110

They haven't opened preorders in my country yet... We don't even have a confirmed price!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Henmii

A few questions:

If it doesn't support scart, is there a way to plug the hdmi cable into my television's scart-port?

If I can plug a usb-cable straight into my laptop for power, does that work without a y-cable? I use a usb-harddrive with a y-cable on Wii u, otherwise the console crashes.

If I can power the device with my laptop, can't I play it on my laptop? My laptop has hdmi!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

KingMike

Your HDD needs to be plugged into two USB slots on your laptop? Isn't that because hard drives need much more power than most devices, in order to function?

KingMike

skywake

Henmii wrote:

If it doesn't support scart, is there a way to plug the hdmi cable into my television's scart-port?

Converters exist but it's probably not the best way to use this thing. It's designed for HDTVs, a converter like that is going to add a lot of latency. Especially given that most of the focus has been on hardware that does the reverse. There are plenty of great SCART to HDMI converters, I doubt there are as many good HDMI to SCART converters.

Henmii wrote:

If I can plug a usb-cable straight into my laptop for power, does that work without a y-cable? I use a usb-harddrive with a y-cable on Wii u, otherwise the console crashes.

It'll use an entirely different cable. Think of it as a phone cable rather than the one you probably use for the HDD on your Wii U. This thing is kinda like a Chromecast for NES games.

Henmii wrote:

If I can power the device with my laptop, can't I play it on my laptop? My laptop has hdmi!

I highly doubt your laptop has HDMI in. The HDMI on your laptop would be for connecting your laptop to a monitor not a device to your laptop monitor.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.