Forums

Topic: N64 to HDTV..........

Posts 21 to 26 of 26

SphericalCrusher

Just to add a note to the thread, I actively play my N64 on my son's 32" Sony LCD HDTV and it plays and looks well.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

SphericalCrusher wrote:

Just to add a note to the thread, I actively play my N64 on my son's 32" Sony LCD HDTV and it plays and looks well.

so maybe smaller TVs don't affect the image, just maybe....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

GuSolarFlare

WaveBoy wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

SphericalCrusher wrote:

so maybe smaller TVs don't affect the image, just maybe....

LCD = Motion Smearing, typically weak black levels unless you're spending an arm & a leg,
You're gaining nothing by playing it on an LCD other than a super bright picture. N64 games are interlaced btw.
On a Tube CRT you'll get great blacks, perfect motion and zero input lag. Anybody can say it plays and looks fine to them, but side it with a good tube tv for these retro consoles and they'll be eating their words. I've done the whole LCD/LED and Plasma thing, not my cup of tea retro-wise.

thought so but never tried on a smaller LCD TV so, for me, it was a possibility.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

Jani-Koblaney

I have a 30" HDTV and all of my retro consoles look perfectly fine on it. I've never seen any of this so called "lag" or "smearing". Come to think of it, I've never noticed it on any HDTV I've used.

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

Jani-Koblaney

@Waveboy Actually, I have 2 tube TVs... And I think that all that stuff people say about tube TVs being better is mostly junk.

Edited on by Jani-Koblaney

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

GuSolarFlare

WaveBoy wrote:

Wolonzo wrote:

I have a 30" HDTV and all of my retro consoles look perfectly fine on it. I've never seen any of this so called "lag" or "smearing". Come to think of it, I've never noticed it on any HDTV I've used.

That's because you don't have a Tube SDTV tv on the side to compare it with. How can you feel 'lag' if you don't have a lag free set to compare it with? You can't form an opinion simply based on how you think it performs on any HDTV. Believe me, i've gone through sets with all degress of input lag from 1 frame all the way up to 4.This entire HDTV lag ordeal is effing annoying in my books.

These days, on average a set will have 2-3 frames of lag. my current plasma as 2(35ms) and it still feels slightly heavier and less intuitive and 'not on the dime' vs my CRT....It really annoys me, but most people wouldn't be able to adjust. I guess i just care more about button response/gameplay rather than looking at a sparkly HD picture. You don't want to go over 2, believe me.

and HDTVs distort the image a little even in the 4:3 mode. some people even get dizzy with this(it's true, happened with my sister)

my Backloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.