Forums

Topic: Pal N64 on hdtvs...

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

mysteriousdave

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best set up for an N64 on an hdtv? Just got one for the first time and it looks awful! I know it's never going to look amazing on there, but if people have found a good setup and would like to share it would be appreciated!

Currently it's hooked up via scart with a composite cable and scart adapter plug...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VLGJ24/sr=1-1-catcorr/...

The picture just looks generally washed out and blurry...!

Cheers.

Edited on by mysteriousdave

mysteriousdave

BedCommando

This is why you should always keep your SD TV after "upgrading". Just buy a cheap SD TV for your older consoles since HD TVs fail at providing quality picture.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

theblackdragon

BedCommando wrote:

Just buy a cheap SD TV

good luck with that — a lot of places don't even carry SD TVs anymore. it's all about the HD nowadays.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

SoulSilverIV

For the best picture quality you're going to want to use an S-Video cable, which will provide a better signal than composite. For some strange reason, the N64 was never RGB/Scart compatible without being modded...

"Haha, not all dragons are Dragon-type Pokémon!"

~Lance, Pokémon Masters, 2020

Tasuki

theblackdragon wrote:

BedCommando wrote:

Just buy a cheap SD TV

good luck with that — a lot of places don't even carry SD TVs anymore. it's all about the HD nowadays.

You can always check thrift stores or garage sales for one. Alot of people when they upgrade get rid of their perfectly good SD tvs that way. WHen my mom upgraded to a 52 inch HD tv for her bedroom she donated her SD TV to Goodwill and there was nothing wrong with it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

mysteriousdave

SoulSilver IV wrote:

For the best picture quality you're going to want to use an S-Video cable, which will provide a better signal than composite. For some strange reason, the N64 was never RGB/Scart compatible without being modded...

Thanks - think thats the best option. Unfortunately only my larger telly has an s-video input, but one out of 2 will have to do! Now to find one, as they don't seem to be too common on ebay etc.

Will the difference between composite and s-video be that great?

mysteriousdave

noblo601

Does changing the screen resolution to 3:4 help at all. I hooked up my pal N64 today and changed the ratio and everything was a whole lot better (except my rusty skills lol)

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

mysteriousdave

Screen resolution doesn't seem to affect it - I've been using the appropriate aspect for each game (e.g. goldeneye is capable of 16:9, zelda only 4:3).

mysteriousdave

noblo601

Damn... I know what you mean. I plan on going over to my dads place and grabbing an old small tv out of the garage anyway... I am pushing my luck having the N64 out, and think I'm less likely to experience the girlfriends wrath if it's sitting nicely in the spare room.

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

BedCommando

She'd give you wrath for having a console out? Really?

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

KingMike

mysteriousdave wrote:

Now to find one, as they don't seem to be too common on ebay etc.

Probably due to both size and weight. Picking up in person is probably the most economical, but understandably some people might not want that. It's expensive and fragile just to ship smaller ones, and big ones it'd be too much just to figure out shipping, let alone haul it down to actually be shipped.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Ristar42

I'd advise to do a bit more research before getting another cable, I had the same problem with a way too bright image using composite, I've never seen an s-video cable for the PAL N64 either (and some forum searches suggest compatibility limited to early models?), but if you find one would be interesting to see if it works...

Ristar42

mysteriousdave

So i've taken delivery of an s-video cable - plugged it in on the side of my bravia, and nothing! Apart from the sound and a few flickers. If I unhook the S-video connector, leaving the red, white and yellow in it works fine (as if on composite).

Faulty cable?

mysteriousdave

mysteriousdave

Interestingly, from what I can gather it may be a console issue. Some around the net seem to think s-video does not work with the later coloured consoles...? Anyone have any experience of this?

I've got the aqua blue one by the way...

mysteriousdave

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.