Retro Forum

Topic: Is Mario 64 over-rated?

Showing 121 to 137 of 137

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

121. Posted:

Edit: Sorry, doubles...

CountWavula wrote:

It felt like such a downgrade after owning the SNES.

Untitled
Completely agree. The games just had so much more life and personality (And just played a lot better!) on the SNES, IMO. Mario RPG felt a lot more polished and complete than Paper Mario, Yoshi's Story was a shell of Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong 64 was another collect-a-thon, Mario 64 didn't have the tight platforming and great controls or Super Mario World, Kirby 64 didn't even come near close to being the greatness of Super Star, or even Dreamland 3, OoT just wasn't didn't play as smooth and didn't have the charm of A Link to the Past, etc. I know it's opinion, but still, I think they just had so much more charm on the SNES, and then on the GameCube.

Keep on keepin' on, count. :D

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

122. Posted:

If anything made the N64 worth owning it was at least this gem of a game.

Mischief Makers

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

123. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

SNES_JRPG wrote:

Yeah what problems do you have with the N64? State all problems.

Bizarre controller

• Analog sticks are infamous for losing tightness after limited play
  • Rumble pak devours batteries, and awkward and clumsy to use with other controller accessories

Poorly designed hardware

Ancient cartridge format

Very, very, limited game library

• Almost all of Nintendo's close 3rd party developers jumped ship for the PlayStation (Case in point, Squaresoft, Namco, Konami, Capcom, etc.)
  • No RPG's
  • No fighters
  • No shmups
  • Few racing games
  • Very few strategy games
  • No 2D games of any variety
  • Numerous other genres completely missing in any form
  • Despite it's small library, much of it is known for poor quality
  • No Metroid, its Kirby game is generally acknowledged as one of the weakest entries, Donkey Kong was a Banjo knock-off, Yoshi's Story was poorly received, its Mario Kart is commonly thought of as one of the weakest entries along with it's Mario RPG,
  • This is personal opinion, but many, many horribly overrated games, including (But certainly not limited to) Mario 64, both Zeldas, and Banjo-Kazooie

The worst part is, this is just scratching the surface!

/Barricading PS1 bunker

Looks like somebody just won the thread. ;) I mean honestly there isn't much to add after reading that, you've ,managed to dissect that little overrated piece of NintenJunk64 quite nicely! But you're wrong about one thing.......FMV's did exist on the N64, I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I remember Resident Evil 2's opening FMV looking distorted & fuzzy on the N64 Vs the PS1 version. :P Plus, the in-game graphics had blurrier textures(Big surprise there), but perhaps my soggy memories are frazzled & fogged, better bust out the Wave windshield wipers! :*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6M7Uw2diw

To be honest, i would of been better off owning the PS1 and saturn that generation, because there were only about 10 or so games on the N64 that i was even remotely interested in playing, heck i didn't even give Ocarina of time a chance, i just couldn't get into it for some odd ball reason. Also Diddy Kong racing was one of the biggest piles of crap i've ever played racing-wise. I can't Believe how high reviewers scored that game. My brother played it almost every day before going to school, the soundtrack has been officially embedded in my 8-bit mother brain! Heck, i even had to watch my X play it with her cousin split screen(The frame rate was a disgrace, must of been running in 10 frames haha) years ago and she just never i understood why i wouldn't jump in on the action, silly N64 kids :P

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

124. Posted:

Wow a long bullet point list of reasons why you don't like a system? That's a pretty compulsive interest, in that loathsome hardware. :D

For me it never comes down to the system specifications, and if Nintendo has proven anything it's that first-party games on their systems are fun. Period.

The N64 came out at just the right portion of my childhood to be captivating; its visual style, perhaps ragged to some eyes, made a lasting impression. [no I'm not referring to blindness, hehe ]
While I don't have an N64 of my own, 1080 Snowboarding is one of my favorite games on the Virtual Console.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

125. Posted:

This needs to be a separate thread :|

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

SkywardLink98

126. Posted:

99% of old games that have been praised as best game(s) of all time are over rated. Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past bored me to the point I just stopped playing. It's best to just accept now that whenever someone says an older game is one of the best games of all time they're assuming you have nostalgia for the game. If you don't, it's no where near as good as they say it is.

*Opinions, views, and/or biases are all subject to change on a regular basis.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

127. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

But you're wrong about one thing.......FMV's did exist on the N64, I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I remember Resident Evil 2's opening FMV looking distorted & fuzzy on the N64 Vs the PS1 version. :P Plus, the in-game graphics had blurrier textures(Big surprise there), but perhaps my soggy memories are frazzled & fogged, better bust out the Wave windshield wipers! :*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6M7Uw2diw

Yeah, there were 4 games that had some FMV on the Nintendo 64, but it was pretty minimal. Resi 2 was one of them, but they were super duper fuzzy and low-quality compared to the PS1 version. Also, that version had really compressed audio and bad fire effects and things like that. ( http://www.lensoftruth.com/retro-head2head-resident-evil-2/ )

OptometristLime wrote:

Wow a long bullet point list of reasons why you don't like a system? That's a pretty compulsive interest, in that loathsome hardware. :D

Yeah :P, after hearing the praise for this system day in and day out this has become some personal subject of mine.

CapnPancakes wrote:

This needs to be a separate thread :|

I think you're right, actually. Sorry for the thread hi-jacking OP!

Funny how new systems are out and here we are debating almost 20 year old hardware :D Oh well, I like it.

Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

128. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

99% of old games that have been praised as best game(s) of all time are over rated. Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past bored me to the point I just stopped playing. It's best to just accept now that whenever someone says an older game is one of the best games of all time they're assuming you have nostalgia for the game. If you don't, it's no where near as good as they say it is.

Looks at Avy, then looks at name. '98' huh? Alright, i guess it's hard for younger gamers who started out with the Gamecube or Wii to have any sort of decent appreciation for the classics. ALTTP and OOT 3D were both amazing during the time, and like most SNES games ALTTP is timeless, can't say the same about OOT! :P The NintenJunk64 was the beginning of the end for the Big N until the Wii arrived. ;) Gamecube wasn't too shabby, but it has absolutely nothing on the NES & SNES.

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

129. Posted:

The NES was junk from start to finish. (What is worse Nintendo's practices stopped the West getting the decent TG16 versions). The Master System is more tolerable and I don't really like that either. (SNES / TG16 / Megadrive are fine - don't like the filters they use on some of them on the virtual console though).

I hated the sprite flicker then and I hate it even more now. Nintendo of America sucked all the life out of many of the best games as well. (i.e Castlevania III).

It cannot be nostalgia for me because at the time I hated Super Castlevania IV and didn't get into the series due to that until I played Rondo of Blood pretty recently.

The N64 could have done 2D better than the Playstation if somebody chose to. Could have made a CD addon for the expansion slot and had the main game on cartridge and some of the assets on CD. 8 Meg Ram. The DSP nobody used much other than Rare. The 64DD could have provided enough.

(What I don't like is sprite flicker / slowdown / jagged 3D / Gamecube dpad).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

130. Posted:

@unrandomscam
Stopped reading the moment you said "the NES was junk from start to finish"
Based on what i've seen of your comments, you don't seem to like anything. :P

AuthorMessage

ogo79

131. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

@unrandomscam

oooh! he told you!

ceo of the rare downloads program-"spend yer money on us"
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

132. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

@unrandomscam

oooh! he told you!

Don't mess with the frog ;)

Untitled

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

133. Posted:

I still vividly remember swinging Bowser around by his tail. It was awesome.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage

Spuratis

134. Posted:

I remember the first time I saw this game on display at a Toys R Us. It blew the 11 year old me away. I played it and it was a complete game changer as far as gaming goes. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite games ever, BUT, it's definitely not over-rated. It deserves all the praise it gets. It was one of the most fun and memorable games of it's time, that's for sure.

Now.. a game that is over-rated is Ocarina of Time. Especially when compared to Majora's Mask. ;)

Spuratis

AuthorMessage

Mitsuko_Chan

135. Posted:

I'm not even going to cause controversy here............

あなたは素晴らしいです。あなたと誰混乱させてはいけない。
YouTube Channel | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage

BSlyTheGamerGuy

136. Posted:

I don't think Super Mario 64 is overrated at at, especially since upon it's release there was nothing quite like it and it lit a path for what 3D games could (and would) become in the future. The game featured amazing graphics, smooth control, and amazing music that created an atmosphere that no other game could touch up until that point, it was truly a trend setter and a title that will always live on as the game that truly led the "next generation" into gaming. I'm serious, its that damn important. Was the game perfect? Of course not, no game really is. But what this game did for the landscape of video games was important and if people don't recognize that than there really is no help for them.

Follow me on Twitter @BSlyTheGamerGuy
http://bslygamerhaven.blogspot.com/ 2/20/14 TEKKEN 2 review for the PLAYSTATION!

Twitter: BSlyTheGamerGuy

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

137. Posted:

Both Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon and the first Super Mario Galaxy are overrated. Super Mario 64 deserves all of that praise and then some, you'd understand if you grew up playing the NES & SNES during the 80's and early 90's and THEN all of the sudden shifted over to Barren polygons with full 3D analog control hehe. Mario 64 truly was. was groundbreaking. Still doesn't hold a candle to 2,3,World & 1. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy