Retro Forum

Topic: Gamecube Vs. Wii, which had the best Library?

Showing 41 to 60 of 104

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yellowtails

41. Posted:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

In terms of Nintendo games:
Mario Galaxy>Sunshine
Mario Kart Wii>Double Dash
Brawl>Melee (don't care what the pros say. Take 100 average gamers who've played neither before and see which one they prefer)
Metroid Prime 3 = Metroid Prime (couldn't call it)
WW + TP = TP + SS (couldn't call it)

In my opinion, Double Dash and Melee are better than their Wii titles. Melee does many things better than Brawl. I'm not sure which one I prefer when it comes to Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy. I never played any Metroid Prime games, so I can't say anything about those.

Edited on by Yellowtails

Yellowtails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

42. Posted:

Yellowtails wrote:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

In terms of Nintendo games:
Mario Galaxy>Sunshine
Mario Kart Wii>Double Dash
Brawl>Melee (don't care what the pros say. Take 100 average gamers who've played neither before and see which one they prefer)
Metroid Prime 3 = Metroid Prime (couldn't call it)
WW + TP = TP + SS (couldn't call it)

In my opinion, Double Dash and Melee are better than their Wii titles. Melee does many things better than Brawl, I'm not sure which one I prefer when it comes to Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy. I never played any Metroid Prime games, so I can't say anything about those.

yeah the very fact Melee has no random tripping is already reason enough for it to be better.

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PKNoUsernameHere

43. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

WildMan wrote:

Beetlejuice wrote:

GameCube by a mile.

More variety, no forced motion controls, and it still got 70-80% of the big third party multi-platform releases

Backlog
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CLICK NAOW OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Top 5 games: Pokemon HeartGold, Earthbound, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Metroid

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter: NoUsernameHere

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

44. Posted:

All this hatred for motion controls. Tell me, how many games required you to wave your arms around.

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

45. Posted:

For me, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Other M and Xenoblade Chronicles put the Wii just slightly ahead of the Gamecube.

Edited on by I-U

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yellowtails

46. Posted:

GuSolarFlare wrote:

Yellowtails wrote:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

In terms of Nintendo games:
Mario Galaxy>Sunshine
Mario Kart Wii>Double Dash
Brawl>Melee (don't care what the pros say. Take 100 average gamers who've played neither before and see which one they prefer)
Metroid Prime 3 = Metroid Prime (couldn't call it)
WW + TP = TP + SS (couldn't call it)

In my opinion, Double Dash and Melee are better than their Wii titles. Melee does many things better than Brawl, I'm not sure which one I prefer when it comes to Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy. I never played any Metroid Prime games, so I can't say anything about those.

yeah the very fact Melee has no random tripping is already reason enough for it to be better.

Lol, definitely.

And those average gamers probably wouldn't pick up the differences immediately between the two.

(And to add to what I said earlier, Mario Kart Double Dash felt more skill based than Mario Kart Wii.)

Edited on by Yellowtails

Yellowtails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintendoFan990

47. Posted:

The Wii by a country mike.

I am a human.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yellowtails

48. Posted:

ejamer wrote:

Anything GameCube can do, Wii can do better*.

Not that the Wii actually did everything better.

Yellowtails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

49. Posted:

This is a tough call but I think I'd give it to Wii for having downloadable games, especially World of Goo.

But of course I'm the only person ever who owns Freedom Fighters AND Muramasa so I can actually somewhat judge both consoles on something other than Mario and Zelda (though admittedly the death of traditional game rental hurt my ability to play a comparable amount of Wii games)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

50. Posted:

Wii can play GameCube games so it wins by default IMO.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SuprisedStar

51. Posted:

Both.

U>GCN>Wii>Snes>N64>Nes
"If you want to play, you have to PLAY WITH POWER!" -SuprisedStar

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7092-8512 | Nintendo Network ID: Wiicube64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SockoMario

52. Posted:

Both! :)

I play all Smash games competitively.
N64: Mario, Fox, Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario, Dr. Mario, Fox, Captain Falcon, Marth
Brawl: Mario, Sonic
Project M: Mario, Sonic, Fox, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf
Smash 4: Mario, Dr. Mario, Little Mac, Shulk, Sonic, Fox, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Grumblevolcano

53. Posted:

Both, sure Wii missed out on some of the best Nintendo IPs (e.g. Star Fox, F-Zero) but you can play GCN games on your Wii and the Virtual Console was amazing.

Grumblevolcano

3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

54. Posted:

Gamecube. No gimmicky motion controls, a much more consistently excellent selection of third party games, and it saw some of the best games in many of a Nintendo's classic franchises.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

55. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Gamecube. No gimmicky motion controls, a much more consistently excellent selection of third party games, and it saw some of the best games in many of a Nintendo's classic franchises.

Ditto.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintenjoe64

56. Posted:

Anyone who thinks Double Dash was a better game than Mario Kart Wii is insane. Not just because of online. The difficulty, tracks, items and vehicle selection of MKW is vastly superior to double dash. Stupid internet hipster mentality siding with Gamecube because of motion control hatred and some crazy rose tinted view of MK:DD.

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintenjoe64

57. Posted:

Beetlejuice wrote:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

Beetlejuice wrote:

Or maybe they would rather just sit back in a chair or lie on a couch and play games with a regular controller, rather than sit upright directly in front of the TV and have to wave their hands around in the air?

Nahhhhh, it can't just be that....

If you had to play like that, you were doing it wrong. If you think pressing one button to attack is better than actually having to aim and time your sword swings then you should stick to Assassin's Creed and Arkham games.

Oh really? Are you telling me then that it was possible to lay on your side on a couch, or flop over the side of a chair and play using the wiimote/nunchuck without flicking your wrist and waving shaking your first in the air while you aim the control directly at the black bar under your TV?

Sometimes I play a game while I'm in bed. It's a hell of a lot easier to just lay back with a controller than it is to have to prop yourself up with a pillow and make sure you are perfectly centered with the TV and moving your hands around.

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

Skyward Sword is my least favourite Zelda but it had the best controls of any game ever made.

I quit playing the game because it was such a chore. Many people complained about the controls, more than for most games, so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that a game whose controls are so hotly debated has "the best ever".

And what's wrong with the controls of the Arkham games? They are very intuitive for combat and work very well. I don't get it...

This argument would make sense if the sensor bar was used in Skyward Sword. It is perfectly possible to play Skyward Sword slumped over the edge of a sofa or bed. If you quit Skyward Sword due to the very simple, accurate and intuitive controls and not the monotonous recycled environments/bosses, lack of overworld and sidequests or its linearity then I struggle to believe you even played it.

As for the Arkham games, they're a step up from Assassin's Creed in the combat controls department and a step down from most Gamecube era games. There's little skill involved and the games game be completed by button mashing.

Edited on by Nintenjoe64

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pahvi

58. Posted:

I quit Skyward Sword due to being annoyed by the sword controls (or gameplay elements affixed to swordplay) just after the first boss encounter with Ghiranim/Ghirahim/whatever. I'm actually more inclined to continue playing Zelda 2 than SS.

Red Steel 2 I did finish, though, and enjoyed it.

I find Wii more than matching Eternal Darkness with Cursed Mountain and Silent Hill Shattered Memories. And since my personal taste is usually different from the "norm", feel free to substitute CM with Project Zero 2.
I'd also rather play the Wii port of Metroid Prime than the GC originals due to the Wiimote controls.
Dunno about RPGs or strategy games. On racing side, Wii had a lackluster catalogue.

"The review score of 6 becomes a 9 when looked at another angle. And vice versa." -me?
Now playing: Hyrule Warriors, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy
Game impressions posts: http://backlogcompactor.blogspot.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yellowtails

59. Posted:

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

Anyone who thinks Double Dash was a better game than Mario Kart Wii is insane. Not just because of online. The difficulty, tracks, items and vehicle selection of MKW is vastly superior to double dash. Stupid internet hipster mentality siding with Gamecube because of motion control hatred and some crazy rose tinted view of MK:DD.

@Nintenjoe64 People don't say Mario Kart Double Dash is better without reason. Mario Kart Wii's difficulty was more unfair than Double Dash. Wii's items was more annoying than Double Dash. The tracks are about equal to me and Wii definitely has a lot more vehicles than Double Dash, but I prefer the one's in double dash since every character has their own respective kart. And also the replay value went way down since online ended. Mario Kart Double Dash is simply the better game. And nah, I don't think those people who prefer Double Dash over Wii are insane. In fact, they're smart! ;)

Edited on by Yellowtails

Yellowtails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BearClaus

60. Posted:

I think Double Dash‼︎ has better local multiplayer, particularly the battle mode. Mario Kart Wii feels more like it was made for twelve players. (I'm not saying Double Dash‼︎ is better than Wii overall, though.)

BearClaus

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger