Forums

Topic: FuncoLand Game Prices December 1996

Posts 1 to 20 of 31

brooks83

I was bored the other night and decided to mess around with the Wayback Machine and thought to look up my all time favorite video game store, FuncoLand. To my surprise, the site was archived all the way back to December 1996. All of the links still work, so you can check out how much the games were going for almost 20 years ago. It's interesting to see what games were cheap back then and have shot up in value over time (I'm looking at you Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom!). I also don't remember new N64 games going for as much as $99 (!) either, but then again I went to Sony that generation. FuncoLand used to have monthly printouts of those lists too in the store that you could take home, one of the reasons I used to love the store so much. Anyways, if you remember the store, or just love retro gaming, I think you will find this link interesting:

http://web.archive.org/web/19961221220130/http://www.funcolan...

brooks83

rodoubleb

Neat. Thanks.

rodoubleb

the_shpydar

Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak = $9.99

Panic Restaurant = $6.99

Little Samson = $0.99

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

brooks83

Color a Dinosaur was only $2.99 back then as well, now it can go upwards of $100.

brooks83

KingMike

Of course. There weren't insane collectors back then. Nobody's gonna pay $100 for Color a Dinosaur just to PLAY it.

But I'll take Cowboy Kid for $2.99. And definitely Keio for Sega CD.

Mario Clash costs 4 cents MORE used than new.

Some of those prices do seem high. I know the N64 launched at 199.99 (because it was below Nintendo's hyped "under $250" launch price)
DKC3 for $80 new? I could've definitely gotten it cheaper at Target, probably at the standard $59.99 price, or AT MOST $69.

Those Game Boy prices are expensive though (did they really think anybody was going to pay $35 for Barbie? You could buy EarthBound, EVO, Wild Guns.)
ogo, will you please send me 7 copies of Aero Fighters if I send you Barbie for the Game Boy?

KingMike

brooks83

KingMike wrote:

(did they really think anybody was going to pay $35 for Barbie? You could buy EarthBound, EVO, Wild Guns.)

Man, I remember I wanted to buy EVO back then. My FuncoLand never had it in stock though

brooks83

cheetahman91

LOL only .09 for Sewer Shark.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak = $9.99

Panic Restaurant = $6.99

Little Samson = $0.99

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

RancidVomit86

Damn MUSHA was only 9.99

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

8BitSamurai

If anybody wants to carpool with me, I think these games should more than pay for the plutonium for my flux capacitor.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Spoony_Tech

I worked there during all of the Nintendo 64 released stuff. We had a bit of a monopoly on the games as they were in High demand and you couldn't find them anywhere else. People paid those ridiculous prices though. Funny thing was is the system itself was sell new yea for 209.99 but the used systems were selling for 225$ it was all about the demand for the system. You could get a corporate check for your used system as well for 219$ I won't even tell you about the Toys r us Funcoland scam I was doing. Nothing illegal though but I did sell back 2 used systems and my brother 3. We made a good fair amount of money off that!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Jazzer94

If ever there was a time for time travel this would be it.
Untitled

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Ryno

And gamers complain about the prices of video games today. Despite ridiculous inflation on everything else in the world, the price of current Nintendo games has actually gone down (yeah, I know cartridges were more expensive to produce than disc).

Oh and Mega Man X3 was $64.99 and DKC3 was $69.99 even back then. I keep telling people SNES games ranged from $49.99 to $69.99 back in the day when they were released.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Spoony_Tech

Ryno wrote:

And gamers complain about the prices of video games today. Despite ridiculous inflation on everything else in the world, the price of current Nintendo games has actually gone down (yeah, I know cartridges were more expensive to produce than disc).

Oh and Mega Man X3 was $64.99 and DKC3 was $69.99 even back then. I keep telling people SNES games ranged from $49.99 to $69.99 back in the day when they were released.

Most of us had to beg our parents for those ridiculous prices as well. Lucky for me I was old enough to pay for them myself.

I remember begging my mom for Castlevaina when it first came out. It was also the most expensive cartridge at that time and I believe it was released at 40$

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryno

@Spoony_Tech: Yeah man, I remember having a paper route around the time and did odd jobs around the neighborhood to buy 1 or 2 games a year and the rest I would have to wait for Birthday or Christmas presents. I didn't start working at a real minimum wage job until 1997 and that was the same time I ditched Nintendo for Sony and those cheaper prices. Getting a game in the 8-16 bit days was such a big deal back then (no matter how many months after release it took), now it seems like everyone and their mother gets a game on launch day (except "mature" Ubisoft games on Nintendo systems), plays it a ton for a week, beat's it, and ask what's next?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

baba_944

"Sonic CD" $10.00. Wow.

Who are you?

ogo79

back in the day funco land had virtual racing deluxe 32x for 100$ and zero tolerance for genesis for 100$
and i got both of them there too lol

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

MikeLove

In Canada I remember spending upwards of $120 on a single N64 game when tax was factored in

MikeLove

HandheldGuru97

Those Virtual Boy prices tho.... I've got one extra spot in my Delorean first person with a pellet of plutonium, a 1996 issued visa credit card and a 72 pin connector and we shall be off!

Edited on by HandheldGuru97

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.