Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Series Discussion

Posts 241 to 260 of 324

Socar

Kazuo wrote:

@Socar I feel like Fates just mainly suffered partly due to it being split across three games. Another thing I think is probably the main emphasis on the avatar in the game and making him/her the main character. (Awakening wasn't bad and had the avatar as more of a supporting character to Chrom)

Overall I think that the Fire Emblem series has had good stories for the games, especially Path of Radiance for example.

I don't mind the split games and the avatar being the main one since I can't see how that ruins the story when it instead tries to do it better.....its just that the game suffers from reusing the same plot characters with little to no twist in them.

Had they worked on Conquest's ending better, I wouldn't have this bit of grudge.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

yokokazuo

@Socar well with avatars I've mainly seen people mention how there isn't always as much of a chance to give them much personality since they are customizable and therefore may have some limitations.

My main issue with the three games is that it makes me feel like I should have started with Birthrigjt to get to know some characters more since some of them (mainly one in particular in Conquest and Revelations) are killed off in Conquest and the game tries to make it seem tragic, but it doesn't seem to turn out well when you just met the character.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Socar

@Kazuo Well to be fair, Corrin had some coma when not knowing his siblings in Hoshido so its only natural to feel like that.

I think the problem with the three games stories is that they have situations that are the same despite them playing differently. Instead of the three games to tell their own stories, they link the same plot devices whichever game you play which makes them feel less different in terms of storytelling. Like how the stories never reveal why Takumi is brainwashed in the first place or Garon not having any flashbacks in his past.

What it does though is that gameplay wise, they are definitely different and to me, that's what really matters. Of course I prefer Conquest out of all the three paths that I've beaten but I appreciate that Nintendo/IS tried doing something different for Birthright which is having a different setting....its just that majority of the characters in Birthright aren't memorable to me atleast.

Socar

Ok so this is bugging me a bit.

What's the difference between the support conversations in the previous FE games and the recent ones?

Whoever posts I've read implied that the support conversations are better than the ones in Awakening and Fates.

Socar

Just wondering if Breadth of the Wild is inspired by FE due to it adding more than just swords......

KO-Cub

Or maybe inspired by traditional RPG's which let you use different weapons?

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

jump

If anything FE would have copied the orginal Zelda's use of weapon beyond just a sword.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Socar

oh, then explain the weapon durability. That existed in FE as well and its incorporated in Breadth of the wild so how can that not be a source of inspiration?

KO-Cub

Someone hasn't played SS.

jump

Socar wrote:

oh, then explain the weapon durability. That existed in FE as well and its incorporated in Breadth of the wild so how can that not be a source of inspiration?

You are clutching at straws.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

The funny thing is artwark is the Zelda thread accusing people of comparing it to Witcher 3 (when no one has actually mentioned it) and that it's making him angry because how dare people say such an untrue thing yet is now trying to shoehorn in this weak sauce.

Nicolai wrote:

KO-Cub

Play Dungeons and dragons, the mother of RPG, and get back to me.

Don't why you'd mention it when Fates threw the mechanic out the window. Especially since fire emblem has it as a more item use, than original durability.

yokokazuo

Who all has played Mystery of the Emblem (Monshou no Nazo)?

With its recent release on the Japanese 3DS VC, I've been thinking about whether or not I should get it.
I have played through Shadow Dragon as well as New Mystery of the Emblem, but I'm wondering if I should get the original game as well. It is currently the only Japan only game which I do not own since I ended up buying the first game, Dark/Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (Ankokuryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi), since it was on sale recently on the 3DS Virtual Console.
So for those that have played it (and perhaps the remake), would you recommend getting the Super Famicom game?

yokokazuo

Fiyaball

Kazuo wrote:

Who all has played Mystery of the Emblem (Monshou no Nazo)?

With its recent release on the Japanese 3DS VC, I've been thinking about whether or not I should get it.
I have played through Shadow Dragon as well as New Mystery of the Emblem, but I'm wondering if I should get the original game as well. It is currently the only Japan only game which I do not own since I ended up buying the first game, Dark/Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (Ankokuryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi), since it was on sale recently on the 3DS Virtual Console.
So for those that have played it (and perhaps the remake), would you recommend getting the Super Famicom game?

As soon as you pop it in, it's a kanjifest. You better know what you're reading/doing in that game, and it has some design issues. There's a guy on ebay right now selling both FE 3 and 4 for $15, so if you want them, that'd be a great place to get them.

Fiyaball

yokokazuo

@Fiyaball I know a decent amount of Japanese and I have already gone through New Mystery of the Emblem in Japanese plus I'm in the middle of several other Japan only FE games so I don't think it would be much of a problem.

I also own a Japanese Wii U and 3DS which is where I've been getting most of the older games on so Mystery of the Emblem is currently priced at ¥926 on the eShop (currently about $11.75 CAD).

yokokazuo

CanisWolfred

Socar wrote:

@jump @DarthNocturnal @KO-Cub Still proves my point because FE existed before those games even happened.

I'm pretty sure weapon durability ratings had been experimented in other games before Fire Emblem, and it's not exactly like it was a mechanic dreamed up in a vacuum in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised the early computer RPGs that first utilized it was simply ripping off Advanced Dungeons & Dragons somehow - I can't conform that that, of course, it just sounds like something AD&D would've done, considering how tedious and convoluted the rules apparently were back then. It adds an extra element of realism, especially with sharp weapons like swords and axes, and usually forces the player to explore their surroundings and experiment with different tools and options, since eventually the best tool in their arsenal will become unusable. It's the same with Spell limits and ammunition in other games, too. That's why so many open-world games that have been popular lately utilize them, since it's the easiest way to discourange rushing through the storyline and causing people to miss all the optional parts of the game that you put so much effort into crafting.

I know this conversation's over a week old, but I just had to put that out there.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Didn't D&D also start the "Bahamut as a dragon" thing?

Yes.

Well, probably. At the very least, I couldn't find anything older referencing it outside of Arabic stories, where it's always called a giant fish...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

elkeschwarzer81

I love this discussion, it is very interesting

Untitled

elkeschwarzer81

yokokazuo

I recently got around to ordering a couple Fire Emblem Cipher starter packs and the Tokyo Mirage Sessions one came in today!
Untitled
Untitled
I'll also post a picture of the Path of Radiance set I ordered once that arrives.

I also ordered Lucina and Robin from Amazon.ca (both should still be in stock I think) to complete my Fire Emblem amiibo collection until Corrin (eventually) gets released.
Untitled

Series 7 of Cipher will be coming out soon which will include characters from Fire Emblem 7 (Blazing Sword). Some of the artwork can also be seen on Serenesforest.
http://serenesforest.net/2016/11/11/cipher-s7-weekly-recap-ne...

Edited on by yokokazuo

yokokazuo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.