Forums

Topic: Favorite Activision Game for the Atari 2600?

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

Turbo_Genesis_64

Activision made some of the best home console games of the early 80s; it's no surprise considering the company was formed by ex-Atari programmers who wanted more recognition for their work. They were the first 3rd party developer ever and the games they made were simply legendary. So what's your favorite Activision game for the Atari 2600?

Mine would be the addictive shooter "Spider Fighter."

Edited on by Turbo_Genesis_64

EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!

Sean_Aaron

That is a nice one. I'm a big fan of Starmaster. It has all the great gameplay of Star Raiders with less complicated controls (no goofy number pad), which makes it easier to deal with emulated ^_~

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Adamant

I'll go with Ice Hockey. Most addictive sports game ever made - even beats out Nintendo's Ice Hockey for the NES.

Adamant

Turbo_Genesis_64

Thanks Sean and Adamant for the comments! I was worried for a second that there were no true retro gamers in the house!

"Ice Hocky" is amazing. I actually did own that one as a kid and it really enriched my childhood and like you said it still plays well. My memories of "Starmaster" are a bit rusty at the moment, but it's on the GBA collection,so I should give it a spin again.

EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!

Corbs

I LOVED the Activision and Imagic games for the Atari 2600. They were way better than the Atari stuff.

1. Megamania
2. Pitfall
3. Frostbite
4. Laser Blast
5. Keystone Kapers
6. Plaque Attack
7. River Raid
8. Spider Fighter
9. Seaquest
10. Oink!

I've even still got my Megamaniacs, Arctic Architects, Spider Fighters, Billy Club, River Raiders, and Explorer's Club patches.

Edited on by Corbs

Plain old gamer :)

Turbo_Genesis_64

Corbie wrote:

I LOVED the Activision and Imagic games for the Atari 2600. They were way better than the Atari stuff.

1. Megamania
2. Pitfall
3. Frostbite
4. Laser Blast
5. Keystone Kapers
6. Plaque Attack
7. River Raid
8. Spider Fighter
9. Seaquest
10. Oink!

I've even still got my Megamaniacs, Arctic Architects, Spider Fighters, Billy Club, River Raiders, and Explorer's Club patches.

Good list Corbie, but where's Ghostbusters and H.E.R.O.?

You have proven to be hardcore again with your patches!

Corbs

I didn't care much for Ghostbusters, but I liked H.E.R.O. I did hate to leave off Crackpots and Enduro. Love those too.

Turbo_Genesis_64

I was always amazed that Activision never tried to take a stake in the arcade market. They made awesome action packed games that certainly would've gobbled up quarters like crazy.

So I assume at some point, Activison absorbed Imagic? I wish the Activision collections would have more than just Atlantis and Demon Attack on them. I want to play that creepy Microsurgeon game again!

Corbs

I'm surprised more of the Imagic games haven't been put onto the collections as well. Great games. I love Dragonfire, Cosmic Ark, Riddle of the Sphinx. I'm working on a side project right now that has some great interviews I did with the Imagic programmers. You should check it out.

Sean_Aaron

Nice interviews Corbie. Imagic did some nice games. I remember having that Atlantis game, Cosmic Ark and Riddle of the Sphinx (that was really hard!).

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Adamant

Hm, let me try making a top 10 list, too:

1) Ice Hockey
2) Stampede
3) Enduro
4) Frostbite
5) Megamania
6) River Raid
7) Keystone Kapers
8) HERO
9) Pressure Cooker
10) Starmaster

Never particularly cared for Pitfall.

Adamant

LinktotheFuture

My favorite is Seaquest, followed by River Raid.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

Turbo_Genesis_64

Corbie wrote:

I'm surprised more of the Imagic games haven't been put onto the collections as well. Great games. I love Dragonfire, Cosmic Ark, Riddle of the Sphinx. I'm working on a side project right now that has some great interviews I did with the Imagic programmers. You should check it out.

I've visted your Numb Thumb Club site before. Good stuff!

Turbo_Genesis_64

My top ten Activision list:

1. Spider Fighter
2. Ghostbusters
3. River Raid
4. Stampede
5. Seaquest
6. Ice Hockey
7. H.E.R.O.
8. Pitfall
9. Keystone Capers
10. Robot Tank

These David Letterman style lists are always hard to make because you always regret the order at some point.

Burning_Spear

Can't believe no one has said Kaboom!

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

Turbo_Genesis_64

Burning+Spear wrote:

Can't believe no one has said Kaboom!

So is Kaboom! your favorite?

the_shpydar

Frostbite. Frostbite. Frostbite. Possibly one of my favorite games of ALL TIME. Currently working on submitting some scores on a number of versions to Twin Galaxies. I used to rock this game so hard back in the day that i would play it upside down so my friends and sister would have chance to get near my score.

After Frostbite, other Activision faves are Pitfall and Pitfall II (got it for Christmas when it first came out and spent the entire day playing it to the point where my dad was worried my 2600 was going to burn itself out), Keystone Kapers (awesome game, another i'm working on a score for), Kaboom and the legendary StarMaster -- that was actually reccommended by a programmer (in his 50s at the time) that my dad worked with because of its gameplay depth. Need to play that one again. I remember the highest difficulty (Starmaster) was pretty rough unless you really knew the game well.

@Corbie: ditto on Imagic. Riddle of the Sphinx was a huge fave, perhaps in spite of its abstract difficulty.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

the_shpydar

@Ricardo
It's good to know younger gamers can still appreciate awesome older games! =D
(BTW, i feel damn old now!)

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Turbo_Genesis_64

Some kids actually surprise you these days!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.